Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I realize many people have no love for C-Net, but hey this is good Palm Pre news so I figured I'd post it just the same.

In a battle of screen quality between the Nexus One, Pre Plus, Moto Droid, iPhone 3Gs, and Samsung Behold II, the Pre Plus came in a close second (beaten out only by, surprise, the Droid).

They had this to say about the Pre Plus:

The Palm Pre Plus was one of the best performers we tested, coming in right behind our overall best performer, the Droid. The Pre Plus' color was accurate and fuller than the iPhone's and not oversaturated like the Behold II and Nexus One. The color isn't as accurate as the Droid's, but it did show that it's capable of displaying 24-bit color. Its level of backlight clouding was the second highest, next to the iPhone, but it produced the least amount of diffuse reflection of any phone.

The full article is here: Battle Royale: Five smartphone screens face off | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Hmm.......well, to my untrained eye, the Droid and Pre are neck-and-neck, as far as the display goes. The rest, yeah......Apple's screen does look faded, even in a dark room, and Samsung........well........good phones, build wise, but screens have never been one of their selling points.
    Good Read =D the Droid does have an amazing screen. Pre with an OMLED screen would be amazing.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Good information. I think this is much more important that leaking light people complained about. I was actually very impressed with Pre screen, because I was able to read text when it was under direct sunlight.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I thought the nexus 1 had a higher resolutions?
    Interesting that this Touchscreen Quality Comparison was made by Moto Labs, no less... and lemme just say, the Motorola Droid didn't do so hot.

Palm Pre (not even Plus) was "second only to iPhone".

labs.moto.com Blog Archive Robot Touchscreen Analysis
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Interesting that this Touchscreen Quality Comparison was made by Moto Labs, no less... and lemme just say, the Motorola Droid didn't do so hot.

Palm Pre (not even Plus) was "second only to iPhone".

labs.moto.com Blog Archive Robot Touchscreen Analysis

What's interesting about the fact that Moto Labs did it?
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What's interesting about the fact that Moto Labs did it?
    Sort've ironic in that MOTO Droid did the worst, and the testing was done by a group called MOTO Labs.... Thought the two companies are unrelated as far as I know
    Would have been real nice if they had made the screen out of a material that didnt practically scratch when you looked at it funny.

I have had mine for @ 8 months and love it. Love it. But the GD screen scratching is killing me. And yeah its partially my fault because I dont want to slather screen protectors all over it or baby the thing by putting it in and out of a case 100 times a day. But would it have killed them to put a decent screen on there?

Rant over. I still love the Pre.
    I know it's not a phone but if any of you ever saw a Zune HD you'd know none of these devices match the depth and brilliant vivid colours that screen provides.

I notice the difference most when I boot up the Pre and the "Palm" with the black background. The background is sorta greyish (spose to be black), but on the Zune HD, the black is frikken BLACK (so black that part looks like it's "off").

Having owned the original 30GB, 80GB, and now the Zune HD, these screens have NEVER been scratched once, but heavily abused. Why can't phone companies use gorilla glass like the Zune has?
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    I know it's not a phone but if any of you ever saw a Zune HD you'd know none of these devices match the depth and brilliant vivid colours that screen provides.

I notice the difference most when I boot up the Pre and the "Palm" with the black background. The background is sorta greyish (spose to be black), but on the Zune HD, the black is frikken BLACK (so black that part looks like it's "off").

Having owned the original 30GB, 80GB, and now the Zune HD, these screens have NEVER been scratched once, but heavily abused. Why can't phone companies use gorilla glass like the Zune has?
    If the Zune HD had phone parts I'd be all over that. Or ithe Zune HD + phone parts + webOS.... Phone heaven.
    I've never seen a Zune in person...

But it's just not fair to compare screens unless you have a CONTROL variable. In this case... the same picture would need to be displayed on both screens. That is the bare minimum to compare screen quality.

Likewise, you cannot compare headphones unless you have the SAME exact song, coming from the SAME exact setup (pref. a clean source w/ line-out and good amp).
  13.    #14  
    I agree. And I, too, have never actually seen a Zune in use out in the wild. Only ever seen display unit (turned off) at a Walmart. And, of course, countless screens/videos on the internet.

But I do think it's a sexy piece of hardware and would like to see what webOS would be like running on it. Hell, it's even got room for the gesture area!
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    I agree. And I, too, have never actually seen a Zune in use out in the wild. Only ever seen display unit (turned off) at a Walmart. And, of course, countless screens/videos on the internet.

But I do think it's a sexy piece of hardware and would like to see what webOS would be like running on it. Hell, it's even got room for the gesture area!
    It was always my dream to have WebOS on the Zune HD hardware. IMO the Zune HD's hardware is pretty incredible. It weighs nothing, is one the thinniest devices I have ever seen, and the screen is VERY responsive and bulletproof. Did I mention the colours will blow your mind with how vivid they are?

What a match made in heaven. Palm needs to contact Toshiba who makes the hardware for MS on the Zunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I didn't think the zunehd screen looked all that great. I think the palm screen looked better and the zune screen looks like it is 16bit unlike the pre which is 24bit.
    You sir are on HEAVY drugs.
    You'll be hard to find a device that has a nicer looking screen than the Zune HD except maybe the Samsung Wave with it's Super AMOLED.
    Here is a side by side of the exact same pic on the Pre and Zune HD.
    Granted pictures don't do this much justice, it looks more stunning in person, but you can tell that the Zune HD has more vivid colour.

Look at how black the black is and how the 5 ball looks yellowish on the Pre while on the Zune HD it's fully orange.

Pre on left, Zune HD on right.
    Last edited by SportingLions; 03/26/2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Granted pictures don't do this much justice, it looks more stunning in person, but you can tell that the Zune HD has more vivid colour.

Look at how black the black is and how the 5 ball looks yellowish on the Pre while on the Zune HD it's fully orange.

The colors on the right are more "vivid" (i.e. - more red)... but I highly doubt that the Zune has a more accurate color representation. If I were playing balls with lots of lights washing them out, I'd expect them to look like the one on the left. The one on the right definitely doesn't have as accurate colors...

How about a test with an image that was intended to be "vivid" (i.e. - not washed out)?

Now let's see a picture in direct sunlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Now let's see a picture in direct sunlight.
    Good one!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast