1.    #1  
    Sorry if this seems like a repost, as I 've read some of the previous posts, and was wondering if the pre is still a brick overseas. I'll be there for 2 weeks and would like to add something to plan(sprint) for the 2 weeks.
    If not, how does one go about renting a phone while overseas? I saw that in a couple of posts, and thats a interesting option.

Thanks, Craig
    In the UK your Pre will be a brick as far as texting and voice calls. Anything that can be done via WiFi will obviously be golden however.

Rather than renting I would opt for the purchase of a disposable pre-paid phone. Works the same way it does here. You can grab one on your way out the door at Heathrow.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    As far as im aware still a brick im afraid. Happy travelling.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the quick answers!!! I will be going into Manchester, so hopefully they do the prepaid there too. Sounds like a plan......bad pun....sorry Craig
    You'd be better off getting the rental here, if you go that route, it's cheaper. Currency conversion and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    In the UK your Pre will be a brick as far as texting and voice calls. Anything that can be done via WiFi will obviously be golden however.

Rather than renting I would opt for the purchase of a disposable pre-paid phone. Works the same way it does here. You can grab one on your way out the door at Heathrow.
    The uk market doesn't actually sell disposable phones as such, ie they are all intended to be used for extended periods. Look for 'pay as you go'
    You can pick up a very cheap payg with tri-band so it'll work back home in the US - you can pick up the handset for about 7 dollars, and the 'top up' ie adding credit so you can make calls will start at an additional $14 - nb you only pay for out going calls in europe.
    Call charges depend on price plan but are about 30 - 50c a min, within the UK - It'll also need to be unlocked, or it won't work with a us gsm sim, when you get home.
    You can also pick up an 'international' sim that (automatically) routes calls over the providers voip network to get cheap calls back to the us. If you use your original payg sim for international calls it will eat your credit.

Look for a 'carphone warehouse' outlet (soon to be re-branded as best buy-mobile!!) or a 'phones 4 u' outlet.
    Don't think there are any in manchester airport, landside, but there are hundreds of phone outlets in manchester itself!
    Last edited by ianmr65; 03/24/2010 at 05:00 AM.
    My Palm Pre is tweakalicious! - Your iPhone is tweakaphobic!
    ^^ ya, by "disposable" I was referring to exactly what your talking about. In my experience they are available everywhere in Europe.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  8.    #8  
    posting at its best, thanks for all the info, Craig