Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why is out web-browser getting so bad at multi-tasking?

I just saw a video of opera for the iphone today, and it mult-tasks and loads websites better than the pre.

The problem:

Pages have to reload. For instance, say I go to engadget.com and national geographic.com or I have 2 browser windows open, browsing different articles on engadget.

Whenever I go back to the other page, it has to reload.
    I can have as little as 2 apps open (browser). and go to engadget.com on both. If I am browsing on X while Y is loading, then go to Y when X is loading. They have to RELOAD.

So a test I would like for people to do:

Please open up 2 or 3 browser cards and go to engadget.com on all 3, browse a little on card 1, maybe 2 minutes, while card 1 is loading a webpage, go to card 2 (engadget should be loaded or finishing up its loading), read for a little bit, click a link you want to open on engadget.com and go to card 3 (which should be fully loaded after this much time) and browse card 3 for a while. Then go back to card 1, is the original link card 1 was loading loaded? Or does WebOS have to reload it? then go to card 2, is it loaded already? or is it having to reload now as well?

This essentially eliminates huge advantages WebOS has over other phones.
    There was already a thread addressing it. If you think its a bug then report it to Palm instead of making more threads here about it.
    I don't know precisely which parts of the web-browser's limited multi-tasking implementation has been discussed before, but here's another (or perhaps the same?) example:

The reloading after a while IS bothersome, but so is the fact that, if I begin loading a webpage, then go to another card to do something, when I go back to the card with the loading webpage... it hasn't loaded a damned-thing more than when I last saw it.

It's like it puts its loading on-hold until I return. That's inconvenient when I'm trying to load multiple webpages, as I sometimes need/want to, so that I can compare or at least quickly switch between them.

True multitasking would sort this problem.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    There's a patch for that, lol. Seriously though.

I multitask the crap out of my phone. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my Pre is faster than yours too. For now anyways...

Either way, I think the browser is pretty good.
    Use the patch in Preware that eliminates the need for reloading after idle. Once the page loads, it will remain with that page even if you leave it for hours. Preware solves most of the small issues people have with webOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by datboi208 View Post
    Use the patch in Preware that eliminates the need for reloading after idle. Once the page loads, it will remain with that page even if you leave it for hours. Preware solves most of the small issues people have with webOS!
    I've used the patch, but they still reload sometimes on my Pre.

But, like I said, I'm also bugged when they don't keep/finish loading when I go to another card.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I was messing with an iphone today and it seemed to have to reload every time I went forward or back in the browser. Now that's annoying.
  8.    #8  
    so, guys that have the patch. If ur browsing engadget with multiple card like I said above. The phone has pages loaded and ready to go. Evertime you go back?
    Last edited by wrxdrunkie; 03/23/2010 at 06:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    There was already a thread addressing it. If you think its a bug then report it to Palm instead of making more threads here about it.

thank you for sayn this
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by donb123 View Post
    thank you for sayn this
    how many threads were there? 1? This has been a problem for a while. The pre did not do this in june. I did search though and could not find it.

thanks for all of your help though!

For those wondering though, I think I have found the answer.

Palm did this on purpose, to try to manage memory better, resulting in this phone not being a true multi-tasking phone.

So the simple answer for people wondering like me, it is becoming a hardware limitation. Palm will try to disable this "trick" if they can, but otherwise we are SOL.

The pre had this same problem before 1.4, I kept thinking it might get better, but it honestly seems to be getting worse with every update.

Sorry if I offended anybody, but this will make it much easier for people having the same question.
    In the end, this phone is not a true multi-tasker, because it can not even keep 2-3 webpages opended/loading at the same time without reloading.
    Last edited by wrxdrunkie; 03/23/2010 at 07:04 PM.
    To me, the worst thing about the browser is that when I go back, it redownloads the page (or seems to). It should have enough in the cache that it doesn't have to download the whole thing again. That would save a ton of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    To me, the worst thing about the browser is that when I go back, it redownloads the page (or seems to). It should have enough in the cache that it doesn't have to download the whole thing again. That would save a ton of time.
    That's exactly what I was saying. And when you are not in an AT&T 3g area, it takes forever to go back.

And also, unless I missed it, I couldn't get the iphone to got to the full website. It always wanted to go to the mobile website.

I just don't see how people can complain about the Pre browser. It's got to be one of the best ones out there, if not the best.
  13.    #13  
    I was referring to this video

Opera Mini has always been at least an order of magnitude faster than the browsers it competes against. It accomplishes that through compression, fewer features, and limited on-device rendering. They do as much as possible server-side. That works great on many ocassions; sometimes it causes problems. I'm sure Opera Mini running on webOS would be pretty comparable to the iPhone version performance-wise.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    And also, unless I missed it, I couldn't get the iphone to got to the full website. It always wanted to go to the mobile website.
    The iPhone identifies itself as such, and if a website has an alternative webpage built for mobile devices, it will automatically redirect there... Nothing the iPhone, Pre, or any other mobile browser can do about it. Most sites have a link that will take you to the full webpage if you so desire.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I've been using the no reload after idle patch and it's not that effective. Web pages still refresh quite often.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    my only issue with the browser is when you go away from a page for awhile and then come back when it reloads sometimes you get a grey bar across the bottom and it will not go away no matter how much you refresh and it only loads down to that point cutting off the rest of the page. Had anyone else had this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    my only issue with the browser is when you go away from a page for awhile and then come back when it reloads sometimes you get a grey bar across the bottom and it will not go away no matter how much you refresh and it only loads down to that point cutting off the rest of the page. Had anyone else had this problem?
    Yes Yes Yes! It happens to me all the time when I leave a browser window open for a while. One of my use cases is to keep a Google reader window open throughout the day. I can't do that because every so often I can't scroll any more just like you described.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by r3ferrei View Post
    Yes Yes Yes! It happens to me all the time when I leave a browser window open for a while. One of my use cases is to keep a Google reader window open throughout the day. I can't do that because every so often I can't scroll any more just like you described.
    exactly I absolutely dispise this. I wonder if anyone has a fix. It's very annoying when I'm following a game on mlb.com or espn. You have to throw away the card and open the browser up again to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    Care to point to this thread? I have this question too.

In June when I bought it the browser worked better. Why?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast