Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Thanks to DrPodder, I've been exposed to and really enjoyed tech podcasts like CNET's Buzz Out Loud and TWiT.tv's shows. One thing that rouses my ire is when my enjoyment of these shows is interrupted by a host making inaccurate statements about WebOS, etc.

    Examples to follow depending on whether I'm the only one noticing/annoyed by this.* To be clear, I've no problem with [b]informed[\b] opinions that differ from mine.


    * - I don't want to distract from the main point by providing poor examples (because the best ones escape me at the moment).
    Last edited by west3man; 03/23/2010 at 03:35 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2. #2  
    I agree. I read a lot of tech blogs and this problem is rampant.

    Also, you win for saying "rouses my ire."
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
  3. #3  
    It's like that with everything from movie reviews to political debates. Sometimes people have such biases that they can't see a good thing when they see one, don't have all the information needed to make a good decision, or they don't value the same things like you do (you might not care about a SD slot, but someone might not be able to live without one in their phone). Other times, people are simply paid to promote/bash a product.

    Now without examples, we can't argue about it, but yes, I see quite a few misguided reviews/articles about the Pre.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    I agree. I read a lot of tech blogs and this problem is rampant.

    Also, you win for saying "rouses my ire."

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsis View Post
    It's like that with everything from movie reviews to political debates. Sometimes people have such biases that they can't see a good thing when they see one, don't have all the information needed to make a good decision, or they don't value the same things like you do (you might not care about a SD slot, but someone might not be able to live without one in their phone). Other times, people are simply paid to promote/bash a product.

    Now without examples, we can't argue about it, but yes, I see quite a few misguided reviews/articles about the Pre.
    Right. I didn't want the whole thread to be only arguing about my off-the-top-of-my-head example when there are so many times these things happen that it's not really about any one or two examples.

    But feel free to argue about any given example, including mine.

    ---------------------------------------

    Buzz Out Loud Episode 1188

    Around the 25 min. 20 sec. mark, Molly begins talking about Palm, in earnest. She/they go on about Rubinstein's comment about how the Pre/Pixi Plus would've sold better on Verizon's network if it'd been released before the Droid. They disagree. That's fine, I guess, but they disagreed because they felt the Droids ads were so impressive.

    My take was that, if the Pre and Pixi Plus had been released before the Droid, they'd likely have received the kind of PROMOTION we saw for the Droid. After ... *looks for an acceptable euphemism* ... umm... "giving their all" for the Droid, I don't think they were quite as prepared to give equal treatment to the Palm family of devices. That may or may not be apparent by their ****-poor promotion of the Pre prior to the latest ad with the cute Black woman behind a big ol' cgi'd webOS interface.

    That's a different animal than the Buzz crew were discussing.

    ----------------------------

    On the next episode, Natali mentioned that the Pre has no app store to speak of. I know it's not exactly hundreds of thousands of apps (ok, not at all) but it IS out there and her "to speak of" qualifier didn't do much to change the meaning of that statement from "they don't have an app store."

    If she thought the apps were lacking in quality of substance, I think she'd have said that. If it's simply about quantity and not quality, I'm reminded of those who've expressed their difficulty wading through the weaker apps in Apple's App Store to get to the good stuff. But, again, I got the impression that she was speaking more from a position of ignorance than one of informed displeasure.

    Feel free to disagree with me openly if you think I missed something there
    .

    ---------------------------

    Again, these were the examples that put me over the top and got me to finally post this thread, but there are other examples out there of people barely being familiar with webOS, then going on about how it lacks this or that.

    To be fair, one can only be so familiar with so a wide field of devices and platforms, but if that's the case and one is going to be paid to inform the public and opine on these subjects then a bit more research or substantive qualifiers would be greatly appreciated by this humble reader.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5. #5  
    CNET is a wh#re, they only promote products that are on their featured products at the bottom of their webpage.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Anyone else tired of tech analysts' uninformed opinions about WebOS/Pre's?
    Yes....very.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    CNET is a wh#re, they only promote products that are on their featured products at the bottom of their webpage.
    The Pre was their Editor's Pick (as they're the first to admit) and it stole the show in January of 2009 according to some. If they're so willing to admit these two things, I'm surprised they'd bash it without knowing more about what it does or does not offer.

    I'm not saying EVERYone does this, though. Leo's co-host of This Week in Google, Paul Thurrott (sp?) says that webOS is a quality platform that's not getting a matching level of attention/popularity.

    The way he broke down the different platforms made me think he was speaking from experience ( I could be wrong ) so I was even more pleased when the last pair of platforms he mentioned as higher-tier o.s.'s included webOS.

    One might think I dig his point-of-view simply because he agrees with me, but I thought he sounded like he knew what he was talking about before he mentioned Palm.

    Obviously, none of you have any way of knowing that, but it's true.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  8. #8  
    Frankly, I've stopped reading tech columns, even though I'm in the field, because it apparently doesn't take much to write a column or article anymore. Fact checking is obviously obsolete to many writers, so why bother?

    In my humble little opinion, if you can't be bothered to at least use the device for a while, you really don't have much business writing about it.
    Richard Neff

    My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

    My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  9.    #9  
    To big-up my point that these people don't have to agree that Palm is the $#!+, I'd be fine with them pointing out the kinds of things that folks on this fine forum complain about regularly.

    If they spoke about the implementation of certain features, that'd be cool. That'd tell me they at least know what they're talking about, even if that information leads them to different conclusions.

    If build quality is an issue (and, I should've mentioned that I *have* heard a syllable or two on the topic, but that's it) then feel free to say so. If battery life is lacking, cool.

    If the browser is excellent except for a couple of odd quirks, go on about that.

    Whatever. Just let me know that you're not just talking out of your *****... umm... like ME!


    The thing is, though, I'm not getting paid to write for big sites, host tech news show, or comment when Good Morning America wants a technophile's take on the latest goings-on.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    Frankly, I've stopped reading tech columns, even though I'm in the field, because it apparently doesn't take much to write a column or article anymore. Fact checking is obviously obsolete to many writers, so why bother?

    In my humble little opinion, if you can't be bothered to at least use the device for a while, you really don't have much business writing about it.
    Hell, I should've just said this and called it a day.

    Perfect.

    If anything, I'd simply add that, if they're not going to use the device, preface any comments with that admission.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #11  
    Buzz out Loud and Twit are clearly ENTERTAINMENT shows. So if you're going to nitpick about their admittedly unresearched opinions then you've found yourself a fulltime job

    As for all the doom and gloom in the industry vs Palm... Do you blame them? Don't forget that a year ago palm was a media darling. They were the underdog everyone rooted for, but then they released a product that failed to live up to it's own hype an potential.

    Blaming journalists, commentators or the general public for how palm is depicted is living in denial because Palm sank their own ship.
  12. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    CNET is a wh#re, they only promote products that are on their featured products at the bottom of their webpage.
    oh please. Palm Pre was given editors choice. Their lack of "promotion" is because of Palms failure to keep their product relavent.

    Seriously, what do people expect the press to talk about? Palms overhyped 1.x updates? Their late SDK and failure to make solid deals to guarantee important apps? Or how about the headline worthy "Palm patches iTunes exploit for the 9th time".

    Selective memory is to pretend stupid mistakes never happened.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    Frankly, I've stopped reading tech columns, even though I'm in the field, because it apparently doesn't take much to write a column or article anymore. Fact checking is obviously obsolete to many writers, so why bother?

    In my humble little opinion, if you can't be bothered to at least use the device for a while, you really don't have much business writing about it.
    Agreed, 100%. There's another thread (or maybe a few) recently talking about this very topic. Do a quick look around (or search on TWIT) and you'll find it.

    And incidentally: this isn't about the negativity of the coverage, per se. Palm is obviously struggling, and they've done some things wrong. However, the whole thing is being covered as if there's no value whatsoever in what Palm has done right, which is an impossible conclusion if one has any experience whatsoever with the platform and/or has done any of the research that a journalist would normally do before reporting on a topic.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm not saying EVERYone does this, though. Leo's co-host of This Week in Google, Paul Thurrott (sp?) says that webOS is a quality platform that's not getting a matching level of attention/popularity.
    I'd be interested in hearing what Leo said in response. Thurrott has always seemed like a sharp guy. If Leo jumped in and agreed, then he'll have confirmed what I'm beginning to think about him: he's a sheep. Pretty much follows along with the consensus opinion of whatever guests he has with him. So, if his guests start bashing Palm, he'll just follow along.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Buzz out Loud and Twit are clearly ENTERTAINMENT shows. So if you're going to nitpick about their admittedly unresearched opinions then you've found yourself a fulltime job
    This argument leads down a circular path.

    They provide news and opinions back on being in-the-know. Expecting them to live up to the simplest of standards isn't asking any more than you're asking of us in a public forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    for all the doom and gloom in the industry vs Palm... Do you blame them? Don't forget that a year ago palm was a media darling. They were the underdog everyone rooted for, but then they released a product that failed to live up to it's own hype an potential.

    Blaming journalists, commentators or the general public for how palm is depicted is living in denial because Palm sank their own ship.
    That was never my issue. I expect anyone who pretends to be worth listening to to back up their opinions with well-reasoned arguments or at least sprinkle in a hefty dose of qualifiers.

    Their talking about how far Palm has fallen from grace doesn't feel good to hear, but it is not the problem I have with them.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing what Leo said in response. Thurrott has always seemed like a sharp guy. If Leo jumped in and agreed, then he'll have confirmed what I'm beginning to think about him: he's a sheep. Pretty much follows along with the consensus opinion of whatever guests he has with him. So, if his guests start bashing Palm, he'll just follow along.
    While I'll agree that, at times, Leo's a sheep in wolf's clothing, I hope it was clear that Thurrott was saying positive things about webOS as a platform.

    To answer your implied question: If I were to strain my memory, I think Leo agreed.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    While I'll agree that, at times, Leo's a sheep in wolf's clothing, I hope it was clear that Thurrott was saying positive things about webOS as a platform.

    To answer your implied question: If I were to strain my memory, I think Leo agreed.
    Also, Natali pronounced the operating system like "weebose."

    Ouch.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Also, Natali pronounced the operating system like "weebose."

    Ouch.
    TWIT's Leo keeps referring to the Pre in the past tense. That's but more defensible if the Pre weren't lined-up to be on 3 of the 4 major US networks. Think it's dying if you must, but don't forget to acknowledge it's pro's.

    I'm almost ready to organize against this crap.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    While I'll agree that, at times, Leo's a sheep in wolf's clothing, I hope it was clear that Thurrott was saying positive things about webOS as a platform.

    To answer your implied question: If I were to strain my memory, I think Leo agreed.

    Leo's opinion in all his shows has been always that WebOS is good, but that it's just not caught on. He had a Pre, tested it, liked it somewhat but in the end decided that he didn't like it more than the iPhone. I wonder how his opinion of it would change if he still had it now.
  20. #20  
    It's really hard to be optimistic when Palm has only six quarters of revenue left in the bank. Palm hasn't even made a ripple in the pond that is known as the smart phone market share.. things aren't looking to good for Palm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions