Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. leroove's Avatar
    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
       #1  
    They just came out in their Plus versions on Verizon. They're slated for release in a "few months", that could mean anywhere from April to July. By the time July rolls by a new iPhone will come out. Half of the people on AT&T are only there for Apple's baby in the first place.

    With the decline of Palm sales, is it a good idea for them to release a device with specs that were only impressive a year ago?

    Don't be fan boys now, be objective with your responses

    I think Palm should release a device on AT&T for sure just not one that was announced in 2009 or before.

    Btw, a 256 memory upgrade is not my idea of reinventing their flagship device.
  2. #2  
    I think Palm should try to penetrate any and all markets it can.
  3. leroove's Avatar
    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    I think Palm should try to penetrate any and all markets it can.
    Agreed, they should do it with a new device that can handle the competition.

    That's like Motorolla releasing the Droid on AT&T in August. What's the point of that? Or an iPhone 3GS on Sprint next September.
  4. #4  
    I think it's not a great idea, but what other options do they have? If they had a next gen device with GSM radios ready to go, they'd unleash it (since they're going to have to make additional Pre and Pixi pluses ON TOP OF the 500K+ CDMA units currently gathering dust anyway).

    They don't, but they need money. This could bring a smidgen of short-term cash. I'm sure AT&T has ordered a conservative amount of untis given the past two launches.
  5. #5  
    And a Palm Pre/WebOS CAN "handle the competition" hardware-wise (speaking strictly of the memory and processor), although definitely not in form factor. The bottleneck is with the software, and I have no idea when Palm will ever get this OS together.

    Or IF they will, for that matter.
  6. #6  
    The Plus is presently around 2 months old. Not bad for a refresh IMO since they doubled the RAM, storage, and some other minor tweaks. 6 months after the original release..not bad.

    Is it a good idea on AT&T? With the right marketing, yes. Not having the wifi hotspot is the main concern.

    For better or worse, Palm has to ride these out and make the best of it.
  7. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #7  
    I would think that there are a bunch of iPhone users whose contracts are coming up. I have to think that some of those folks are looking for a real upgrade to the next hot thing
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  8. #8  
    I think this is a terrible idea. But what do I know?

    With the new iPhone coming, Palm sales will sure to be an embarrassment and you know what happens to Palm stock after that.

    I know Tmo in the US is small, but i think they could sell more devices here where the only REAL smart phone other than the archaic BB is My Touch. A "Whatever" device in my book.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The Plus is presently around 2 months old. Not bad for a refresh IMO since they doubled the RAM, storage, and some other minor tweaks. 6 months after the original release..not bad.

    Is it a good idea on AT&T? With the right marketing, yes. Not having the wifi hotspot is the main concern.

    For better or worse, Palm has to ride these out and make the best of it.
    I agree that the Plusses are a refresh. People forget that. If we're talking about the original Pre, ok it would be old but we're not.

    People have to remember that everyone does not want a Iphone and only 49% of ATT customers have smartphones so there is room for more competition and ATT knows this.

    Palm will have to do their own marketing b/c ATT is not going to do much for them. All you have to do is look at the Moto Backflip commercials, or lack there of.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    I think Palm should try to penetrate any and all markets it can.
    I second this, and will add: Palm should do what they can realistically do. That's a tautology, of course, but not everyone seems to recognize that Palm has, and has had, very limited resources. Calling for them to do the impossible doesn't contribute much to the conversation.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I agree that the Plusses are a refresh. People forget that. If we're talking about the original Pre, ok it would be old but we're not.

    People have to remember that everyone does not want a Iphone and only 49% of ATT customers have smartphones so there is room for more competition and ATT knows this.

    Palm will have to do their own marketing b/c ATT is not going to do much for them. All you have to do is look at the Moto Backflip commercials, or lack there of.
    Funny, I've seen a number of Backflip commercials with a fake newscaster "broadcasting" Twitter and FB updates. Pretty upfront and to the point about MotoBlur.

    But the thing is, the Pre and Pixi Plus have already withered against one flagship device from a carrier (Droid), so I don't know why they'd do better versus a brand new version of the mother of all flagship devices (iPhone). They'll probably do better than that any individual model in that bizarro lineup of Android phones AT&T has, tho.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Funny, I've seen a number of Backflip commercials with a fake newscaster "broadcasting" Twitter and FB updates. Pretty upfront and to the point about MotoBlur.

    But the thing is, the Pre and Pixi Plus have already withered against one flagship device from a carrier (Droid), so I don't know why they'd do better versus a brand new version of the mother of all flagship devices (iPhone). They'll probably do better than that any individual model in that bizarro lineup of Android phones AT&T has, tho.
    I've seen those Backflip commercials as well. The problem is that you won't see them for months on in. The point is that Palm nor any manufacturer can depend on the carrier to advertise the phone for the amount of time needed to make an impression. The problem is that Palm doesn't have the money to pickup the advertising slack so they depend on advertisers. Not good.

    I don't think anyone expects Palm nor the Android devices to overpower the Iphone mindshare. Palm needed to expand it's footprint and that what the China Telecom (July) and ATT deal allows.

    I'm already leary of the ATTified versions of the Plusses with their ATT apps and ATT Address Book service being tied into Synergy.
    Last edited by playboy; 03/23/2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  13. #13  
    For Palm to have a chance on at&t, at&t has to do the opposite of what Verizon did when they released the Pre/Pixi Pluses:

    1) TV and print advertising before/after the release date (Verizon did not do any promotion untill a month after their release date).

    2) Some kind/any kind of promotion on their wireless website before/after the release.

    2) Train all store managers on the features of the Pre Plus.

    4) Positive feedback from store sales people when prospective customers come in inquiring about the Pre/Pixi.

    5) Have fully charged products out in the open where people can see them and try them out.

    All in all, Verizon's effort in it's release of the Pre/Pixi could not have been any worse even if they had purposefully tried to do so.
  14. #14  
    Something about history repeating itself....
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    For Palm to have a chance on at&t, at&t has to do the opposite of what Verizon did when they released the Pre/Pixi Pluses:

    1) TV and print advertising before/after the release date (Verizon did not do any promotion untill a month after their release date).

    I just don't see ATT doing this. They'll probably advertise a day or two after launch but they won't do it before.

    2) Some kind/any kind of promotion on their wireless website before/after the release.

    ATT is already doing a good job here. Much better than what they for the Moto Backflip prior to release. Coming Soon – Palm webOS™ - Wireless from AT&T. Its a very good and informative page.

    3) Train all store managers on the features of the Pre Plus.

    This is where Verizon failed. Palm needs to get involved with ATT management at the regional level to communication and facilitate training. This training must then trickle down to the district level where Palm should be involved as well. Training won't work any other way.

    4) Positive feedback from store sales people when prospective customers come in inquiring about the Pre/Pixi.

    The problem that the Android and Palm phones will have on ATT is the same as Palm had on Verizon. The Iphone is so entrenched amongst store sales people that I find it hard to believe that they'll give positive feedback to the consumers at the expense of the Iphone. The important thing is that the sales staff provide honest information about the devices and how they work.

    5) Have fully charged products out in the open where people can see them and try them out.

    I've seen newer Verizon stores with Pres and Pixis on touchstones right in front of the store. ATT will have to do the same thing. If you go into any ATT store right now you'll find that most of the phones are dumb phones and the layout doesn't really allow for proper positioning. Again, Palm will need to work with ATT on the positioning of their phones. I believe that is what they did with Verizon.

    All in all, Verizon's effort in it's release of the Pre/Pixi could not have been any worse even if they had purposefully tried to do so.
    My answers are in red.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  16. #16  
    It really depends how they position the Pre and Pixi. they should be sold as less expensive alternatives to the next iPhone (assuming the next iPhone will be about $300 w/contract), as opposed to a superior product or even as direct competitors.

    Hopefully this will expose more people to webOS and its superb UI, and generate some buzz for Palm's next gen phone (which they can market as a direct competitor).
  17. #17  
    Palm needs their devices on every carrier possible, and that's their goal.

    Now who would actually choose a Pre on AT&T (or Verizon for that matter), is more curious.
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #18  
    It was down to poorly trained sales staff that the phones didn't sell. Wait... this is 2011 isn't it?
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf3476 View Post
    It really depends how they position the Pre and Pixi. they should be sold as less expensive alternatives to the next iPhone (assuming the next iPhone will be about $300 w/contract), as opposed to a superior product or even as direct competitors.

    Hopefully this will expose more people to webOS and its superb UI, and generate some buzz for Palm's next gen phone (which they can market as a direct competitor).
    An analyst made a similar point:

    “While we are pleased to see PALM expand its footprint, we are unsure how meaningful the impact will be as we believe AT&T is the most competitive carrier out there being the exclusive partner for iPhone in the U.S,” says Wu. “We believe PALM’s price points are arguably too high when one can get an iPhone 3G for $99 and a BlackBerry for as little as $9.99.”
    Analysts Doubtful on Palm AT&T Deal for Pre and Pixi Sales | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD
  20. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #20  
    The thing is though, let's say that this hits in 2 or 3 months; the phone At&t will get then will have an upgraded OS and probably flash.

    The price points are an issue, sure, but advertising doing the 'real web' better than the iphone and it could very well work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions