1.    #1  
    I often just browse these forums, reading peoples comments and helping out when possible. But it has gotten to the point where I have to say something. Let me start by stating what I think this forum is , or should be. It should be a resource and community for all people interested in or working with webOS devices. Lately, at least since the pre-1.4 hysteria, it has become a cesspool of anger, vitriolic outbursts against Palm, and generally a somewhat negative place to be an enthusiast about my favorite gadget. Maybe people need to take a step back and realize that this is only a gadget? Either way, I think something needs to happen with all this doom/gloom and negativity.
    These forums should be a welcoming thing to potential and first time webOS users. I don't know about anyone else, but right after getting a Pre and signing on these forums, only to see things such as: " PALM IS DEAD", isn't a welcoming or reassuring sight. We all need to remember the role that we have as fans and enthusiasts in this kind of field. With the state that Palm is in, it makes the most sense to be positive, and uplifting. Otherwise all the negative elements are just going to create a self-fulfilling prophecy about Palm's demise.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I agree to a point, though lets face it that most people will blow off your post and not care. No offense, but it's true.

The only thing I would really disagree with in your post is saying the Pre is "just a gadget." For me it is a tool, a very important tool for a couple different aspects of my life (work and volunteer work).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    I agree to a point, though lets face it that most people will blow off your post and not care. No offense, but it's true.

The only thing I would really disagree with in your post is saying the Pre is "just a gadget." For me it is a tool, a very important tool for a couple different aspects of my life (work and volunteer work).
    Of course, I love my Pre and use it as my laptop, media player etc... The only reason I bring up the 'just a gadget' thing, is that people are getting way offended on both ends of the spectrum.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    While I do agree with your stance. This website and these forums are a staple for Palm Owners, Palm fans and Palm personnel. All 3 of these categories visit this site for more than your average "OMG I LOVE WEBOS". We all know it is the best OS on any mobile device at this time. However, the threads dealing with Issues on hardware & software alike do have a purpose that is fix the problems. Palm personnel read these forums as they not only work for the company but also are palm enthusiasts. In terms of the "Palm is dead" argument, well it's in our nature to attach ourselves to a group when "one" feels like the victim. If I have a broken keyboard, 9/10 I will be making a thread asking if it is just me...when I see others post about it, it reassures me that I am not the only one. STRENGTH IN NUMBERS. When people make threads about Palm's gloomy future, it is to spark a debate as to what palm can and cannot do to save themselves from the powers that be, an example being the Viral Campaign being launched by your fellow Precentral community.
    A lot of what you want could be achieved if post were in the appropriate forum. The mods need to vigilantly clear out of the Pre and Pixi forums anything about Palm stock, the death of palm, HTC whatever, iPhone etc. (even this thread). Then your noob user coming to the Palm Pre forum would even be able to read about the Palm Pre.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    A lot of what you want could be achieved if post were in the appropriate forum. The mods need to vigilantly clear out of the Pre and Pixi forums anything about Palm stock, the death of palm, HTC whatever, iPhone etc. (even this thread). Then your noob user coming to the Palm Pre forum would even be able to read about the Palm Pre.
    Thats a good point, maybe we should have an Armageddon Section of the forum? For all talk, death, destruction, and out of business prophecys.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amistak View Post
    I often just browse these forums, reading peoples comments and helping out when possible. But it has gotten to the point where I have to say something. Let me start by stating what I think this forum is , or should be. It should be a resource and community for all people interested in or working with webOS devices. Lately, at least since the pre-1.4 hysteria, it has become a cesspool of anger, vitriolic outbursts against Palm, and generally a somewhat negative place to be an enthusiast about my favorite gadget. Maybe people need to take a step back and realize that this is only a gadget? Either way, I think something needs to happen with all this doom/gloom and negativity.
    These forums should be a welcoming thing to potential and first time webOS users. I don't know about anyone else, but right after getting a Pre and signing on these forums, only to see things such as: " PALM IS DEAD", isn't a welcoming or reassuring sight. We all need to remember the role that we have as fans and enthusiasts in this kind of field. With the state that Palm is in, it makes the most sense to be positive, and uplifting. Otherwise all the negative elements are just going to create a self-fulfilling prophecy about Palm's demise.
    All rants and complaining just goes to show, peoples love for their pre's. You now it's a thin line right?

Also I'm sure many are scared and therefore defensive that they might lose that fun,productive,easy to use thingy we all know as webOS, I'm one of those as I couldn't imagine using anything that can't multitask atleast as good as my sprint pre(only the pre plus tops it).

Palm and some palm users seem to think they should be #1 and rule the market. I think palm needs to stay small, foucus on quality, maturing webOS to a more stable level and then start thinking of world domination(if ever).
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Another "in an ideal world" thing IMO. After 15 plus years on forums, the forums that try to break things up into nice neat categories always have the same problem, most things get posted in the most popular forum near the top of the page.
    Next time you see an all caps topic sounding the death of palm just post a reply about sandwiches. Hopefully the thread will then become about sandwiches. It used to work really well back in the early days of the internets. Some trolls have developed a tolerance to sandwiches and are able to troll right through though. I suggest a bit of persistence and maybe a google image search for "sandwiches." Be vigilant in your quest and these topic will one day succumb to the weight of sandwiches and justice will prevail.
    im a spicy Italian kinda gut plus its a $5.00 foot long and i love that sandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Another "in an ideal world" thing IMO. After 15 plus years on forums, the forums that try to break things up into nice neat categories always have the same problem, most things get posted in the most popular forum near the top of the page.
    That will happen, of course. The Mods can then move them to where they belong. (And I can exclude those forums and live in peace )