Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I started looking up sales figures right now as I listen to the engadget podcast and they say something dumb like "Palm has only sold 500,000 Pres" and don't say anything about "for the 3rd quarter" or anything. So I thought that was way off. Anyways, found this interesting article on a website called infosync...

Palm's Sales Numbers Are Boosting

From the end of the article...
    If Sprint sells 60,000 units per month in 2010, that adds up to 720,000 in total. If European carriers sells 16,500 units per month in 2010, that adds up to 198,000 in total. If Verizon Wireless sells 250,000 units per month in average in 2010, that adds up to 3,000,000 in total. All in all, Palm would then end up selling 3,918,000 units in 2010. If Palm launches WebOS devices on AT&T later this year, and AT&T sells approximately 1 million units in 2010, it would end up on 5 million WebOS units sold in 2010.
    The AT&T and Verizon numbers may be a little high IMO, then again I have no real clue. Even 1 million less, 4 million by years end, doesn't sound too horrible to me.
    Last edited by Cringer; 03/23/2010 at 10:02 AM.
    I couldn't take them seriously after hearing them say that. And they said it over and over. So it wasn't just a simple mistake.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Those guys had over 80,000 downloads of their Engadget app. Do they really believe that 1 in 5 webOS users downloaded their silly app? They need to get over themselves. For anyone interested, the true number of webOS cumulative sales is around 1.4 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I couldn't take them seriously after hearing them say that. And they said it over and over. So it wasn't just a simple mistake.
    The sad thing is, given the state of tech "journalism" today, it might just have been a "simple mistake." As in, they didn't do any actual research for their reporting, and thus spouted misinformed opinion as fact.

I'm seeing more and more of that, and given the Internet, this crap spreads so much more quickly. Repeat something enough times and people start to believe it--and on the internet, something can be repeated a thousand times in mere minutes.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic