1.    #1  
    Hi,

After discovering the limitations of the Pre's builtin calendar, I wrote Iambic (Agendus developer), and Pimlico Software (DateBk developer) to find out what their plans are for Pre development. While Iambic's response was a little vague, they said they are working on it. But Pimlico's response was surprisingly brutal and direct.

My question: "I realize that DateBk6 can run under classic, but are you planning on releasing a WebOS native version?"

Pimlico's response: "No plans at this time, and with Palm's fortunes sinking rapidly, that's not likely to change in the future unless some miracle occurs to rescue them. Right now the most likely scenario for Palm is to be bought out by another company before the end of the year and that will most likely be the demise of the WebOS as they would be purchased primarily for Good Will and their general expertise rather than the WebOS.

I see that Palm's stock lost 30% of its value on Friday to close at $4.00. When Palm went public, it's stock was at $160 and that was BEFORE the reverse 20:1 stock split, so it's down from $160 on opening day to $0.20 now - a rather precipitous fall to say the least. It was a great company with a great product, but as often happens, they got Fat, Dumb & Happy, and the competition marched right by them - not so much with greater products, but with better marketing, better delivery, better technical support and more interesting devices and variety...

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc."

Is this the general attitude of Palm developers? If so, it really is disheartening.

Panagiotis
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Is this the general attitude of Palm developers?
    Not really. That particular developer has a history of negative responses like that.

See http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...hlight=datebk6
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I don't know, but this is the sort of thing that might force me to leave Palm and go to android. I really think Palm has gotten in 90% right with WebOS. However, much like other great products in the past, it didn't catch on for one reason or another.

I hope that miracle happens.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    You know, that was just an entirely inappropriate response to a simple question. He wasn't asked what his opinion is on Palm's future, nor his thoughts on mistakes that Palm has made.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I don't know, but this is the sort of thing that might force me to leave Palm and go to android.
    Actually, this is the sort of thing that's just ****ing me off and making me want to fight even harder for the platform. Yes, things are bad, and I've voiced my share of frustration lately, but this kind of crap is getting a bit old.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Hi,

After discovering the limitations of the Pre's builtin calendar, I wrote Iambic (Agendus developer), and Pimlico Software (DateBk developer) to find out what their plans are for Pre development. While Iambic's response was a little vague, they said they are working on it. But Pimlico's response was surprisingly brutal and direct.

My question: "I realize that DateBk6 can run under classic, but are you planning on releasing a WebOS native version?"

Pimlico's response: "No plans at this time, and with Palm's fortunes sinking rapidly, that's not likely to change in the future unless some miracle occurs to rescue them. Right now the most likely scenario for Palm is to be bought out by another company before the end of the year and that will most likely be the demise of the WebOS as they would be purchased primarily for Good Will and their general expertise rather than the WebOS.

I see that Palm's stock lost 30% of its value on Friday to close at $4.00. When Palm went public, it's stock was at $160 and that was BEFORE the reverse 20:1 stock split, so it's down from $160 on opening day to $0.20 now - a rather precipitous fall to say the least. It was a great company with a great product, but as often happens, they got Fat, Dumb & Happy, and the competition marched right by them - not so much with greater products, but with better marketing, better delivery, better technical support and more interesting devices and variety...

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc."

Is this the general attitude of Palm developers? If so, it really is disheartening.

Panagiotis
    No, that's the attitude of that particular developer. From what I've been able to gather, there was a lot of bad blook when Palm decided not to continue to license the light version of Datebk from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Actually, this is the sort of thing that's just ****ing me off and making me want to fight even harder for the platform. Yes, things are bad, and I've voiced my share of frustration lately, but this kind of crap is getting a bit old.
    I am not giving up, but there is a very distinctive point when I will have to switch. I am a medical student who is going to start his clinical rotations soon. I need epocrates (ideally) or lexi to be supported on WebOS. Right now it is and that is great, but if they pull support I will switch very fast. It is just a requirement of my job.

I'd say Pimlico I think its your business that is in need of rethinking. EA, Gameloft, and other major developers don't see it your way. Forgive me for taking the word of actually successful companies over your insignificant drivel.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Remarkably childish and unprofessional.
    I am not giving up, but there is a very distinctive point when I will have to switch. I am a medical student who is going to start his clinical rotations soon. I need epocrates (ideally) or lexi to be supported on WebOS. Right now it is and that is great, but if they pull support I will switch very fast. It is just a requirement of my job.

Yes, I acknowledged your similar point in another thread. I wasn't commenting against your post, by the way... Just ranting some more.

I, too, have some needs that webOS doesn't yet meet. And, I'm hoping that Palm can get through this rough spot and that (legitimate) developers will continue to support them.
    I totally agree!

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    damn..
    You lost me on this one. Why would developed software be "pulled"? The expense is basically over at that point, all that's left is to collect the $$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You lost me on this one. Why would developed software be "pulled"? The expense is basically over at that point, all that's left is to collect the $$$.
    Epocrates and Lexi-comp are large databases of medical knowledge, including prescription drugs, tests, drug interactions, over the counter drugs, drug pricing, standards of treatment, lab diagnostics, and other medical tools.

This information changes frequently. New drugs are added, old drugs are moved to over the counter, protocols change, etc. If Epocrates and Lexi stop supporting WebOS, I am not sure if they will keep updating the databases for their software. That is my fear. Also, Epocrates is currently in Beta for WebOS and isn't the full release version yet. I prefer epocrates because I get it free from my school. Lexi will work but I would have to pay between $150-200 per year to use it after the 30 day trial is over. As a poor medical student in much debt, I would like to avoid that unnecessary cost.

Epocrates and Lexi-comp are large databases of medical knowledge, including prescription drugs, tests, drug interactions, over the counter drugs, drug pricing, standards of treatment, lab diagnostics, and other medical tools.

This information changes frequently. New drugs are added, old drugs are moved to over the counter, protocols change, etc. If Epocrates and Lexi stop supporting WebOS, I am not sure if they will keep updating the databases for their software. That is my fear. Also, Epocrates is currently in Beta for WebOS and isn't the full release version yet. I prefer epocrates because I get it free from my school. Lexi will work but I would have to pay between $150-200 per year to use it after the 30 day trial is over. As a poor medical student in much debt, I would like to avoid that unnecessary cost.
    How many years do you have left?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Every developer has a right to his or her opinion as stated in an email or otherwise. More importantly, they have a right to implement whatever strategy for their business that they see fit. Of course, "No" is never enough for some people.

What you are really saying is:

Hey, I bought a smartphone. I was wondering if you were willing to spend a lot of your time and/or money making software for it? If not, why not? What? You don't think it would be worth it? But I bought one and its AWESOME! And, I know, like, 10 other people who say they would be willing to spend up to $5.99 to buy your software. If you aren't willing to drop what you are doing to support this platform then you must be an ignorant a-hole.

Signed,

A guy who bought a cool smartphone and, therefore, knows how you should run your business.
    That's total bs. What he said was "... are you planning on releasing a WebOS native version?" There's nothing wrong with that.

Imagine someone sending an email to Google, asking if they're going to bring Street View to webOS and getting the same inappropriate response. All the tech blogs would go wild. When you run a company a reply like this is just totally unprofessional..
    ME: "Wow what a great sunny day outside! Want to go shoot some hoops?"

Friend: "ahhh, looks like the clouds will be rolling in and the rain will start in about 9hrs. This day sucks. Global warming is bs. Blah blah"

Seriously, sounds like that developer has other issues and is ready to nail the coffin shut even though that person isn't gone yet. Lol

Just asked to shoot some hoops and I get the global warming is bs and everything negative that can happen, just like the developers response. Lol
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!

I understand completely what both of them are. However, unless the underlying data base structure changes, there would be no need to modify the application. Trust me, they are not creating different data sets for each device they support. They create an app that accesses common databases.

Generally speaking, once a client for a database is written, modifications for a platform (in the few instances they are required) are simple. I doubt you'll see them introduce a client app, then drop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    What you are really saying is:

Hey, I bought a smartphone. I was wondering if you were willing to spend a lot of your time and/or money making software for it? If not, why not? What? You don't think it would be worth it? But I bought one and its AWESOME! And, I know, like, 10 other people who say they would be willing to spend up to $5.99 to buy your software. If you aren't willing to drop what you are doing to support this platform then you must be an ignorant a-hole.

Signed,

A guy who bought a cool smartphone and, therefore, knows how you should run your business.
    Wow!!! I am thoroughly impressed. You got all of that information from this:
    You are amazing at reading between the lines.

Well, either that, or just full of BS on this one.