1.    #1  
    Hi,

You know, it was bad enough when I realized you couldn't have categories in the calendar unless you had multiple calendars on Google, Yahoo, etc - one for each category. Forget about categories as you already use them in Outlook or Palm Desktop. Now, I finally took the time to sync my contacts from Outlook & Palm Desktop with Companion Link. I find out that contacts on the Pre doesn't support contacts either!!

What ***** at Palm development fell asleep when developing this thing? While I really like the OS and 3rd party apps available, the core PIM apps are totally ridiculous! Who do they think use these devices? Luddites that only have 5 contacts and don't put anything in their calendars?

I mean, really, who in their right mind wouldn't have their contacts organized by categories? This thing is even several iterations of the OS along (1.4). Hasn't anyone complained to Palm about these silly artificial limitations they are imposing?

I went back to the Palm page and choked at every item they showed praising their use for business. Sure it's wonderful you can sync with Exchange, but for any real business user, this device is woefully inadequate. It's no wonder it has a toy image.

Again, I really like the OS concepts and 3rd party apps, but, come on Palm, if you're going to tout a device for business use, provide a device suitable for business use!

As an aside, I like the Companion Link product for USB sync to the Pre. It does exactly what it says, and does it well.

Panagiotis
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Hi,

You know, it was bad enough when I realized you couldn't have categories in the calendar unless you had multiple calendars on Google, Yahoo, etc - one for each category. Forget about categories as you already use them in Outlook or Palm Desktop. Now, I finally took the time to sync my contacts from Outlook & Palm Desktop with Companion Link. I find out that contacts on the Pre doesn't support contacts either!!

What ***** at Palm development fell asleep when developing this thing? While I really like the OS and 3rd party apps available, the core PIM apps are totally ridiculous! Who do they think use these devices? Luddites that only have 5 contacts and don't put anything in their calendars?

I mean, really, who in their right mind wouldn't have their contacts organized by categories? This thing is even several iterations of the OS along (1.4). Hasn't anyone complained to Palm about these silly artificial limitations they are imposing?

I went back to the Palm page and choked at every item they showed praising their use for business. Sure it's wonderful you can sync with Exchange, but for any real business user, this device is woefully inadequate. It's no wonder it has a toy image.

Again, I really like the OS concepts and 3rd party apps, but, come on Palm, if you're going to tout a device for business use, provide a device suitable for business use!

As an aside, I like the Companion Link product for USB sync to the Pre. It does exactly what it says, and does it well.

Panagiotis
    If you must have categories with your contacts, there is a very simple work around. Use the "Company" field. Pick a user - John Doe. Enter a new entry for John Doe, and add the Category you wish to use as "company". Save the entry. Then call up John Doe's "real" entry, and link the two. If you type the "category" name into universal search, it will find John Doe's name, but he will still only appear once in the contact list.

An added advantage, you can do this with as many "categories" as you wish, so John Doe can be in multiple categories.
  3.    #3  
    That sounds like it would work if you don't have company names in use, but if you do, wouldn't that NOT work? Or if it would work, if I'm understanding you right, in the general list (the list that comes up when you first open contacts) wouldn't the name be listed twice?
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    That sounds like it would work if you don't have company names in use, but if you do, wouldn't that NOT work? Or if it would work, if I'm understanding you right, in the general list (the list that comes up when you first open contacts) wouldn't the name be listed twice?
    No to both. I'll try harder to explain better.
    • Create an entry for John Doe, with is Company as Acme. This is the "real" entry. Save and close.
    • Create another entry for John Do, this time, enter UT (University of Texas) as the Company. Save and close.
    • Now open the "real" John Doe in the Contacts app. Just open the entry, do not select Edit. Tap his name, and and the bottom of the scene will slide down, reavealing the entries that are associated with his name. There will only be one (unless you've already added others), the "real" one listing Acme as the Company.
    • Now select the option that says Link more profiles... and browse to the secondary John Doe entry.
    • Now there will be two of them listed, one for Acme and one for UT

It's important to note, when you select John Doe from the Contact App, you will only see one entry for John Doe (with a "2" on it, or however many you have linked...). However, if you search (universal search) for Acme, it will find John Doe (and whatever other contacts have Acme). If you search for UT, you will find him (and whatever other contacts have UT).

Again, you can add as many psuedo categories as you wish using this method.

I'm not big on categories, but if I were to use this method (which works very well, I've tried it with literally over a dozen different entries for one user) I would keep the "real" entries in a cloud database (Google), and the "category" entries in the Palm Profile. That way, I wouldn't clutter up the Google entries with multiple entries. Google does allow you to combine entries, but I don't know how that would affect the linked enties on the Pre.