Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Just trying to foresee the future not trying to tell it, but.....If palm should go under what happens to my (and everyone else's) contacts? Do we have to rush to buy a new device or can we buy one at our leisure and have sprint transfer them? Is this an unreasonable concern considering the latest Palm developments? And considering the importance of "the cloud" with the pre, will the phone even work w/o Palm?
    I can't answer all your questions... but if I were you I'd take all your contacts out of the palm profile and back them up to google..regardless of whether palm survives or not that is a much safer place for them given all the issues the palm profile has had...not to mention you can easily transfer them to another device someday more easily that way.

Palm will not just go away entirely...they will be bought so I wouldn't worry to much anyway.
    yes the phone will work without palm and the contacts are in the phone as well as cloud so if cloud goes down you can just have sprint move it to a different one when you switch
    I doubt they will go under, and even if they do, it won't be the go away forever kind. It would be bankruptcy, followed by reorganization. Everything should still work without issue. Either way you can sync your contacts with your Google contacts, so there's some redundancy built in.

But I wouldn't be too worried about it.
    +1 to using Google for contacts.

To me, the Google contact/calendar sync'ing has been the 'killer app' for me and my Pre experience.

detroitkruk
    install the "send all contacts via email" patch from preware and use that as a backup. If worse comes worse import the vcard file into gmail and sync them to your webos device or any device that supports google contacts for that matter. Simple as that no worries.
    Check out noagendashow.com assassinating lamestream media!
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    All your contacts die, warn them now!

Sorry, it was the only thing I could think of reading the thread title for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    yes the phone will work without palm and the contacts are in the phone as well as cloud so if cloud goes down you can just have sprint move it to a different one when you switch
    Not entirely true, you can't activate the phone without a Palm profile. I ran into this problem quite a few times where my phone wouldn't acquire a data connection so I could never get passed the Palm profile activation.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not entirely true, you can't activate the phone without a Palm profile. I ran into this problem quite a few times where my phone wouldn't acquire a data connection so I could never get passed the Palm profile activation.
    I recall reading there is a webOS way to get around this.

As far as contacts is concerned, I switched to Google a while ago. Now if Google goes out of business......