Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since many asked in other threads what the real difference in speed was, here's a few quick videos that I made for comparison of the same or similar apps.

It's a Palm Pre and HTC Hero. The Palm Pre was just recently web doctor'ed to 1.4 and the HTC Hero is running an Android 2.1 Rom. Both were also just restarted before the tests and both are on the same WiFi connection, but still.. nothing scientific.

1. Phone Test -
    2. Google Maps Test -
    3. Email Test -
    4. Foursquare App Test -
    5. Android Multitasking -
    6. Android 2.1 Widgets -

This is from an objective stand point, I use both devices and full-heartedly love both; they each have their positives and negatives.
    Last edited by barkerja; 03/22/2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    My maps is no where near that slow, which would lead me to question the other tests.
    Just curious, I know launching apps on webOS is slower, but once they are launched, it's easier to flip through the apps. Let's say you all open all 4 apps (Phone/Google Maps/Email/Foursquare) on webOS and HTC Hero...how fast do these two phones allow to switch through the app? I know webOS it is quite fast, is Android multi-tasking just as fast? Just curious...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Just curious, I know launching apps on webOS is slower, but once they are launched, it's easier to flip through the apps. Let's say you all open all 4 apps (Phone/Google Maps/Email/Foursquare) on webOS and HTC Hero...how fast do these two phones allow to switch through the app? I know webOS it is quite fast, is Android multi-tasking just as fast? Just curious...
    It's not AS fast, but it's as easy on Android. You simply hold down the home key, and a popup shows with the six most recently opened apps.

Edit: Going to make a quick video to show you just how.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    My maps is no where near that slow, which would lead me to question the other tests.
    My Google Maps on the Pre does seem excruciatingly slow, but honestly I've never seen it much faster either (and I've had the Pre since launch). Other Pre owners I know say they see the same performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's not AS fast, but it's as easy on Android. You simply hold down the home key, and a popup shows with the six most recently opened apps.

Edit: Going to make a quick video to show you just how.
    What if you have more than six recently opened apps?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    My Google Maps on the Pre does seem excruciatingly slow, but honestly I've never seen it much faster either (and I've had the Pre since launch). Other Pre owners I know say they see the same performance.
    yes but now that the new kernel patches 720 & 800 (wed.) are out you should try comparing them to that phone lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    yes but now that the new kernel patches 720 & 800 (wed.) are out you should try comparing them to that phone lol
    No, I'm comparing two stock phones. Not hacked phones. And my Pre barely makes it six hours on moderate use now, bumping up the CPU by 60% ... I can't imagine what battery life would be like.
    Last edited by barkerja; 03/22/2010 at 07:36 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    What if you have more than six recently opened apps?
    What if? Then simply hit the drawer and open up another app. Swiping through > six apps on WebOS is just as time consuming as hitting home and then your drawer on Android. Honestly, I'm lucky if I can get six apps open on the Pre without getting the too many cards error.
  10.    #10  
    The Hero actually has a MUCH MUCH slower processor than the Pre. Will be interesting to see what kinds of speeds the Supersonic brings.
    mine lasts most of the day with the 720 or even 800 patch lol, unless i use it heavily !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Reading your posts lead me to believe your videos favor Android, amirite..?
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Proof please. My maps are definitely that slow.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Reading your posts lead me to believe your videos favor Android, amirite..?
    Like I said above.. I like both devices, but as of late WebOS has been annoying me. Seems like with every update is one step forward, and two steps back. I still have hope, but honestly Android's future looks a little bit brighter.
    Thanks for those honest videos they hurt a bit but at least it was true and not an advertisement. Also if anything it gives a good benchmark to compare the 720/800 patches against.

Also just timed cause I thought the Google maps was a bit off, only takes 7-8 sec on my 600mhz pre. will anyone with a stock also try a few times and just double check that wasn't an anomaly?
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    google maps opens in like 3.5 ( its more like 7 sec. but its close enough )sec on my phone lol its sweet,and sometimes even faster !
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 03/22/2010 at 09:06 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    google maps on pre is downloaded each time you open it making it slow to open. How fast it opens depends on your connection and googles server. A locally stored map would be a lot faster.
    I wish webos had widgets!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    google maps opens in like 3.5 sec on my phone lol its sweet,and sometimes even faster !
    Prove it! And has to be on a stock pre. And honestly, even at 3.5 secs.. I consider that slow. I consider an app to be slow if it takes >500ms to open. But I've spoiled in the past (I was an iPhone owner before I got the Pre).
    i told you im on the 800 patch and im not taking it off for no one including you ha ha ha h ah ah ah ah ha !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast