Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Hearing this issue with your phone tells me you have a problem with your phone. My phone seems much faster and the battery lasts much much longer than 6 hours even with heavy use.
    No. The phone doesn't have any issues, the only issue is I use it like it was intended to be used without doing anything crazy like others here to preserve battery or patches to increase speed, I run fully stock.

Example:
    • I don't switch to airplane mode at night or when I'm in terrible coverage.
    • I don't switch to 2G (1xRTT) to preserve battery.
    • I don't have GPS turned off because GPS is only used when an app actually polls for your location.
    • I have push email enabled (with a minimum amount of email coming in daily).
    • No applications polling web services in the background.
    • I have GTalk enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    My maps is no where near that slow, which would lead me to question the other tests.

I just opened mine and it took 22 Mississippi's to open.... i'm VERY biased towards Palm.. but it does really take that long especially after a rebooted phone and the first time opening it.

i closed it and opened it again... took 9 mississippi's

I still think 9 seconds is to long while on WiFi let alone the 22 it took the first time
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    just tried ypmobile with bing maps. It loads much faster than google maps. It's simply google's fault their map app is so slow on webos.
    Last edited by spare; 03/24/2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Since many asked in other threads what the real difference in speed was, here's a few quick videos that I made for comparison of the same or similar apps.

It's a Palm Pre and HTC Hero. The Palm Pre was just recently web doctor'ed to 1.4 and the HTC Hero is running an Android 2.1 Rom. Both were also just restarted before the tests and both are on the same WiFi connection, but still.. nothing scientific.

1. Phone Test -
    2. Google Maps Test -
    3. Email Test -
    4. Foursquare App Test -
    5. Android Multitasking -
    6. Android 2.1 Widgets -

This is from an objective stand point, I use both devices and full-heartedly love both; they each have their positives and negatives.
    Very cool. But why does it look like all the text is backwards?

Also, was this Pre running the faster kernel, or running at stock CPU speeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    I just opened mine and it took 22 Mississippi's to open.... i'm VERY biased towards Palm.. but it does really take that long especially after a rebooted phone and the first time opening it.

i closed it and opened it again... took 9 mississippi's

I still think 9 seconds is to long while on WiFi let alone the 22 it took the first time
    The first time it us using location services to figure out where it is. The second is just loading code.

It takes my 800mhz Pre+ 7 seconds to load Google maps once it knows where it is. Try it without location services (it will triangulate from cellular towers). I bet it loads faster...
    To the OP, thanks for the videos. Would you consider doing another video shoing the Android doing the exact tasks in this video? I think that might illustrate the advantage or similarity of "multi=tasking" in a realistic use case. I would really appreciate that since you have access to an Android phone.

palmSpot Entry: “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More” by Adam Marks | webOSroundup

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    mine lasts most of the day with the 720 or even 800 patch lol, unless i use it heavily !
    My phone lasts 3 days if I conserve battery but I have a 2600mah
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    No. The phone doesn't have any issues, the only issue is I use it like it was intended to be used without doing anything crazy like others here to preserve battery or patches to increase speed, I run fully stock.

Example:
    • I don't switch to airplane mode at night or when I'm in terrible coverage.
    • I don't switch to 2G (1xRTT) to preserve battery.
    • I don't have GPS turned off because GPS is only used when an app actually polls for your location.
    • I have push email enabled (with a minimum amount of email coming in daily).
    • No applications polling web services in the background.
    • I have GTalk enabled.
    who cares about stock. Kinda like buying a cupcake without icing.. it's plain, it's boring and the icing is sitting right there.. just takes a few minutes to put it on and walla... much much better cupcake. ok ok stupid analogy but I think you get my point. If patches are free and easy to install, then why in the world wouldn't anyone use them? As for installing patches being crazy.. heck my grandmother could do that.
    Hey, can you redo the Foursquare test using the newest version (1.0.4)? It's in the App Catalog. I'm the developer and I'm curious to see.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Really cool comparisons althouth the Google Maps one seem to take forever to launch. On WIFI my stock Pre GSM EU have finished loading before 18s into the clip.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    laughing.. At that person who uses his phone the way he likes,but yet sound so mad because we feel like enhancing ours. Females uses make up on their faces. why? Not because their ugly,because it enhances their looks...do you get it now!!! Palm pre is magnificent,we just made it's feature more excited. "LIFE MOVE FAST,DONT MISS A THING!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345