Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I would not be surprised at all if Android was a bit faster right now, my Pre is way too slow. But I do have two points.

1) Your Hero is running 2.1. That is not stock, it is a leaked ROM. That is not the typical user's experience at all. Maybe when 2.1 is released.

2) Pulling up a list of the 6 most recent apps is not multitasking. quickly seeing what is open currently and selecting something like a half written email and then flipping back to my browser and then back to the email is multitasking. Show me something besides a list of recently used apps.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Thanks for the videos. App loading time is one thing, but for me the most important performance factor is: "how snappy are things once you already have 5 or 6 apps running"? In other words, how well does Android behave under load. With the Pre, we all know that things get pretty laggy once you have a handful of apps open. (if you don't receive a "too many cards" error first)

I have a couple of co-workers with Droids, and in the very brief and un-scientific testing I did with theirs, it was pretty impressive. Things were quite snappy even with a bunch of apps running. That's probably a fairer fight too, since the Droid's hardware is on the same par as the Pre's.
    Everyone knows that Android does not properly close down apps so the second time you launch them they load extremely quick. Its about the same as if you load a WebOS app that was already running in the background.

If you want to do a true comparison you need to show both phones booting up then launch the Android apps. You will see that the first time you launch them they take 3-4 times longer than the second time. You will also see that the first time they launch they take longer than WebOS.

WebOS can launch apps just as fast as long as you leave them running in the background which is essentially what you are doing on Android.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    this is useless, everyone knows Android is faster quit wasting our time, especially why pickup the hero, pickup the nexus one and compare that. blazing fast.
    lol...will never be able to make everyone happy and it's not suppose to be taken for what it is... a person just showing how both of his phones fare as level a playing field he could.

honestly it probably would be quite different with the droid because my coworker here has the pre and it is slower than the droid we have here. a lot of jabs at android but the owners here are quite happy with theirs... as well as our pre owner here with his phone. to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    this is useless, everyone knows Android is faster quit wasting our time, especially why pickup the hero, pickup the nexus one and compare that. blazing fast.
    This isn't exactly on-topic, but it's still awesome.

HTC: Don't Carry Your Nexus One In Your Pocket - Htc nexus one screen - Gizmodo

Just out of curiosity, is the HTC Hero able to survive pants pockets any better? I haven't heard of this happening, but it would be cool if it did...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    google maps opens in like 3.5 ( its more like 7 sec. but its close enough )sec on my phone lol its sweet,and sometimes even faster !
    Just tried it on my Pre and it took 40 seconds, this is pretty normal for me.

That's with just a 2G signal though which is how I normally have it to preserve the battery...

Just tried it with WiFi enabled and it was just 6 seconds. I guess the data speed makes a huge difference, the app must be quite big which is downloaded meaning this is really not a fair comparison. It also explains why the pixie is almost identical - it has the same amount of data to download before it can start.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 03/23/2010 at 12:57 PM.
    just took about ten sec. With the 720 and 3 bars evdo . See if that works for ya ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I think for any of these tests that Google Maps should be disqualified as there's obviously some anomaly that causes the app to load anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute and is a fault of the app and not the Pre.

And launching apps side by side is a bit useless as well unless you just sit around all day opening and closing apps.

The best way to compare would be to create a scenario. Put the phone in whatever state you want (for example, I generally keep the browser, email, and messaging apps open at all times for fast switching).

So, create a scenario where you get a text, have to check an email for some info, use that info to look something up on the web, then fire that information back in SMS or jot down a memo.

That will give the best gauge of how "fast" a smartphone. Use real life situations opposed to 3 or 4 second snapshhots.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    HTML/CSS/Javascript just does not execute as fast as a compiled binary. Most of the delay seen when loading apps on a webOS device is loading the framework. If you install the WoW Armory homebrew app which uses a custom framework, you will see what I am referring. WoW Armory opens in roughly one second with no wait/splash screen on a Pre with webOS v1.4.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I think for any of these tests that Google Maps should be disqualified as there's obviously some anomaly that causes the app to load anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute and is a fault of the app and not the Pre.

And launching apps side by side is a bit useless as well unless you just sit around all day opening and closing apps.

The best way to compare would be to create a scenario. Put the phone in whatever state you want (for example, I generally keep the browser, email, and messaging apps open at all times for fast switching).

So, create a scenario where you get a text, have to check an email for some info, use that info to look something up on the web, then fire that information back in SMS or jot down a memo.

That will give the best gauge of how "fast" a smartphone. Use real life situations opposed to 3 or 4 second snapshhots.
    -- This is about as "real world" as I can get recording upside down using my laptop built-in camera. It's kind of awkward how I have to hold the phone.. but still gives you an idea of how to quickly change between apps.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    I would not be surprised at all if Android was a bit faster right now, my Pre is way too slow. But I do have two points.

1) Your Hero is running 2.1. That is not stock, it is a leaked ROM. That is not the typical user's experience at all. Maybe when 2.1 is released. And to argue the fact doesn't help WebOS in the situation as the situation on my Hero isn't ideal (not the correct/final kernel for example).

2) Pulling up a list of the 6 most recent apps is not multitasking. quickly seeing what is open currently and selecting something like a half written email and then flipping back to my browser and then back to the email is multitasking. Show me something besides a list of recently used apps.
    1) You're correct. But I am using an official leaked rom; when the actual 2.1 drops it will probably be even quicker than what we have here.

2) There is absolutely no difference between "swiping" to access an open app, or hitting a button to bring up a menu to access an app. The timing is about the same, maybe even less on Android in a case where you have many apps open on the Pre and have to swipe through multiple apps to access the one you need. I've argued this point with many, and they've always failed at their attempts of trying to prove me wrong. So if you're up to the challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by rawspot View Post
    HTML/CSS/Javascript just does not execute as fast as a compiled binary. Most of the delay seen when loading apps on a webOS device is loading the framework. If you install the WoW Armory homebrew app which uses a custom framework, you will see what I am referring. WoW Armory opens in roughly one second with no wait/splash screen on a Pre with webOS v1.4.
    Exactly. I've pondered for a while over the idea of Palm converting many of the stock apps to native apps using their newly released PDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This isn't exactly on-topic, but it's still awesome.

HTC: Don't Carry Your Nexus One In Your Pocket - Htc nexus one screen - Gizmodo

Just out of curiosity, is the HTC Hero able to survive pants pockets any better? I haven't heard of this happening, but it would be cool if it did...
    I've had the Hero since Oct and haven't had any issues nor have I heard of any issues on any of the other Android forums.

And for those of you that hate touch keyboards, check this out: http://j.mp/bWff77
    Last edited by barkerja; 03/24/2010 at 03:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    My girlfriend owned a Pre since maybe September or October and slowly became unsatisfied with it over time, so I bought a Sprint Hero a little while back figuring that if she didn't like it I could always keep it for myself. My Treo 800w had been growing a bit long in the tooth and its quirks were really grating on me - not to mention I was pretty envious of the rapid growth of the new wave of operating systems. I now have her Pre and she has the Hero.

So anyhow, I used the Hero for a few days myself to see how Android worked in day to day use, and while I liked most things about it, the method it handled multitasking was pretty lame. Performance was great with only one program open at a time, but the default memory management that people always seem to tout about Android was awful and the Hero quickly felt sluggish after opening two or three apps. This is most likely a hardware limitation and I know the Verizon Droid doesn't experience this as much, so I doubt the new EVO will either, but we're talking about the Hero right now. Also, the Pre is not exactly a whole lot better [at stock - haven't tried OC'ing], but at least it was simple to get rid of programs with a simple swipe.

I ended up getting Advanced Task Killer so I could clear programs I didn't need running any longer, but using this was a bit of a pain compared to the Pre; even compared to some task killers for Windows Mobile, the options I found for Android all required dragging the notification bar, opening a program, killing unneeded apps, and then returning to the task at hand.

Well this is getting long-winded, but I just wanted to say that the Hero is not a speedy device and these comparisons offer a pretty rosy view of reality. Here's to the EVO though. =)

Palm better up the ante soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    2) There is absolutely no difference between "swiping" to access an open app, or hitting a button to bring up a menu to access an app. The timing is about the same, maybe even less on Android in a case where you have many apps open on the Pre and have to swipe through multiple apps to access the one you need. I've argued this point with many, and they've always failed at their attempts of trying to prove me wrong. So if you're up to the challenge...
    I wouldn't argue that there is a major functional difference between swiping between cards or holding a button to get a list of icon, although swiping between images you can see, including what is going on in the card, is a bit more helpful and much more elegant.

However, unless I am wrong, the list on Android is not a list of running apps as the cards are on WebOS. You said it was a list of recent apps. That is entirely different. It may be an attempt to serve as a functional equivalent, but it is significantly different than a list of running apps that are easily to choose from.

I would argue there are functional limitations to that approach and thus we are not comparing apples to apples.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    1) You're correct. But I am using an official leaked rom; when the actual 2.1 drops it will probably be even quicker than what we have here.

Exactly. I've pondered for a while over the idea of Palm converting many of the stock apps to native apps using their newly released PDK.

I've had the Hero since Oct and haven't had any issues nor have I heard of any issues on any of the other Android forums.

And for those of you that hate touch keyboards, check this out: Swype sets Guinness World Record for fastest text message – Android and Me
    If you are using an official leaked rom, then it would be more fair to compare the Pre running at 800Mhz patch.
  16. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    I will admit that the Android is faster loading apps, but I don't really care for two reasons. One, I can keep my important apps all open and just flick from one to another. Second, my life isn't so frantic that a 5 second difference in opening apps is that important.
    I couldn't agree more. Who cares about a second here or there. I never use google maps anyway and it seems obvious it will load faster on a google machine. BTW my google maps opened in 1/8 the time.

It seems like the tester throws out comments about owning a Pre and he likes it??? But he says one good thing about it then comes back and slams it 5 times with bad things. If you put all the negative things he has said in one thread then I would ask why do you own such a horrible phone. Why take the time to test it and post it? Just use the droid if you hate the Pre. Stop pretending to like it and stirring up the Pre forum.

Example: I own an iphone and a Pre and I like them and use them both. Now I can justify slamming the pre all day long??? Come on who do you think you are fooling..

Oh and its a shame one of their futures isn't as bright... shut up!
    Last edited by TJB; 03/24/2010 at 03:31 PM.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    But he says one good thing about it then comes back and slams it 5 times with bad things. If you put all the negative things he has said in one thread then I would ask why do you own such a horrible phone. Why take the time to test it and post it?
    Isn't that the story of Palm's life at the moment? They release an update that puts them one step forward, but two steps back. I really like WebOS but there are just so many things wrong with it at the moment. Sadly to day, it's not catching on and no one really know's why.

About a month ago I was in talks of developing a WebOS application for a fairly large company (a location based social network) but they pulled out as of two weeks ago and decided against supporting WebOS. Many companies and developers are doing this, they don't feel WebOS/Palm is worth the time and money and that's one of the many problems that Palm is facing. People love applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    If you are using an official leaked rom, then it would be more fair to compare the Pre running at 800Mhz patch.
    Is Palm going to officially overclock the Pre to 800Mhz? If so, I'd be glad to.
    heres a hardware comparison Phone Scoop
    Google maps seems about right to me. Just tried and it took literally forever to open, stock pre as well. Luckily I don't use Google maps at all.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    No, I'm comparing two stock phones. Not hacked phones. And my Pre barely makes it six hours on moderate use now, bumping up the CPU by 60% ... I can't imagine what battery life would be like.
    Hearing this issue with your phone tells me you have a problem with your phone. My phone seems much faster and the battery lasts much much longer than 6 hours even with heavy use.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast