Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 91
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    My 1.4 Pre (no cpu mods), opens
    Google Maps in about 7 1/2 seconds every time.
    Email 4 seconds.
    Phone 1 second

    App loading times aren't the end-all-be-all for me though.
    I rely on Universal Search to make most phone calls and launch apps.
    I'd be interested to see how responsive the Android's equivalent is.
    Or a real world test like how quickly you can load precentral's home
    page (non-mobile version) and get into the forums and ultimately
    to this thread. I make no predictions. I'm just curious.

    ian
    Universal search works really well in Android, and you can search by voice as well. Universal search searches everything, calendar, etc. it even searches WITHIN applications if you tell it to. So apps like Foursquare etc. can use it... I just hit search from anywhere, type a nearby location and I'll see it popup in Maps, Foursquare and any other apps that's tied in.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip34 View Post
    sorry don't bekieve histest if you take a page a open it twice ull notice it gets there faster the second time I swear which make me believe he had his android set for it already, start those videos fr the beginning when you turn on ur phone n don't cut them for every test I don't....then only one I believe is slower was the maps....a lot of webos haterz outthere
    Say what you will... but as I stated this is no where near perfect or scientific, but I did try to remain as even and as objective as possible. Both phones were restarted before I opened any apps and both had been wiped clean within the past week.
  3. #43  
    barkerja is Pre hater. Check his other posts. My pre is way faster than the one used on this test. My apps usually load up after one blink. Maybe I'm just lucky.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmprotection View Post
    barkerja is Pre hater.
    yup just another troll imho
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmprotection View Post
    barkerja is Pre hater. Check his other posts. My pre is way faster than the one used on this test. My apps usually load up after one blink. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    I do hate the Pre, that's why I own one (and use it) and develop for it. You got me. People asked for a comparison and I couldn't find a good one elsewhere so I created my own. Sometimes the truth hurts, some of you "Palm loyalists" are as bad as the Apple fan.bois.

    And as for your applications loading "instantly", I would love for you to back that statement with a little bit more validity.
  6. #46  
    Ok, it was mentioned that if you open more than six apps, you need to go back to the app drawer to get back the app you already opened. That is all fine and good, I do find that I forget if I have left an app open from time to time on the Pre. But on android, how do you close an app and release its memory back?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Ok, it was mentioned that if you open more than six apps, you need to go back to the app drawer to get back the app you already opened. That is all fine and good, I do find that I forget if I have left an app open from time to time on the Pre. But on android, how do you close an app and release its memory back?
    Hit/hold the back button. But that's not necessary, Android does a very good job at memory management. You never drop below a certain threshold.
  8. #48  
    Thanks, I just wanted to know. I am attempting to learn more about android, as I don't know too much the nitty gritty of it.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Thanks, I just wanted to know. I am attempting to learn more about android, as I don't know too much the nitty gritty of it.
    It definitely doesn't handle multitasking as well as WebOS (in terms of easily switching/closing an app), but it does it well enough.. better than the iPhone does.

    I do love the gesture area on the Pre, when I switch back to the Hero after using the Pre for some while it's hard to break the gesture swipe habit, but the same goes for Hero -> Pre, breaking the habit of hitting the back button is difficult too.

    Both are great devices, it's just sad that ones future doesn't look as bright at the moment.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    yes but now that the new kernel patches 720 & 800 (wed.) are out you should try comparing them to that phone lol
    so the 720 And the 800 Get released on wed? Where can I get them from or who do I have to hit up? Let me know, even if they just need testers I'm down.
  11. #51  
    @barkerja.

    Thanks for posting the videos. They are as accurate as you could possibly get in an informal test.

    Just this past week I've been at several cell providers, playing with the Android based phones and the iPhones. They both beat the Pre on app launch times, with the iPhone handily beating both.

    I routinely wait between 6 - 10 seconds for an app to load on the Pre with the Google Maps taking the longest time to load. The Pre's notes application also takes a fair length to load, and considering that I use the notes feature to jot down 'quick' reminders regarding student requests I consider this to be unacceptable.

    WebOs has a very intuitive UI, unfortunately its execution is sub-par. I really hope things turn around for Palm and that they can improve on the user experience....
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    @barkerja.

    Thanks for posting the videos. They are as accurate as you could possibly get in an informal test.

    Just this past week I've been at several cell providers, playing with the Android based phones and the iPhones. They both beat the Pre on app launch times, with the iPhone handily beating both.

    I routinely wait between 6 - 10 seconds for an app to load on the Pre with the Google Maps taking the longest time to load. The Pre's notes application also takes a fair length to load, and considering that I use the notes feature to jot down 'quick' reminders regarding student requests I consider this to be unacceptable.

    WebOs has a very intuitive UI, unfortunately its execution is sub-par. I really hope things turn around for Palm and that they can improve on the user experience....
    Thanks! You definitely hit the nail on the head.. WebOS has a wonderful and beautiful UI but the UX isn't the greatest at the moment.
  13. jc924's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #53  
    I will admit that the Android is faster loading apps, but I don't really care for two reasons. One, I can keep my important apps all open and just flick from one to another. Second, my life isn't so frantic that a 5 second difference in opening apps is that important.
  14. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    Google Maps on the Pre is just the browser with access to the location service. The code has to be downloaded from Google server.

    I don't know if on Android it's the same or if the code is already installed on the device (my guess it's the later).

    This makes a big difference.

    its funny though, on my Pre, Trapster loads faster than GMaps (with the same map data). So having code installed on the device definitely helps.
    good point. OP, if you can open apps that are the same between two platforms, that would be more fair. Precentral did a video of loading need for speed vs the 3gs and the pre wasn't far behind so the pre definitely has the ability to be fast on a stock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7FJj5-7vQI&feature=youtube_gdata
  15. blu8503's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    My maps is no where near that slow, which would lead me to question the other tests.
    I agree my maps is just as fast loading as the droid maps app so as far as I am concerned this test is moot
  16. #56  
    Ran the same test on my Pixi+ after a phone restart. First time launching Google Maps it took exactly the same time as the Pre, to the second. Subsequent launches beat the Pre in the video by a full 13 seconds.

    Based on that, I really don't understand where the myth that the Pixi is slow comes from. Yes, with more than 4-5 apps open the Pre will start to shine, due to more memory.
  17. leroove's Avatar
    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #57  
    Thanks for the videos, they reminded me why I wanted a Nexus One in the first place. I LOVE WebOS but it's just too slow for my taste. I'm hoping Palm comes out with a much faster - and bigger screen - phone by the summer.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I do hate the Pre, that's why I own one (and use it) and develop for it. You got me. People asked for a comparison and I couldn't find a good one elsewhere so I created my own. Sometimes the truth hurts, some of you "Palm loyalists" are as bad as the Apple fan.bois.

    And as for your applications loading "instantly", I would love for you to back that statement with a little bit more validity.
    No one is going to deny that loading apps is slower on the Pre... also don't forget that the Pre has a 24-bit color screen as opposed to 16-bit. WebOS is meant to be used with apps remaining open. Thats what the phone was built for... kinda silly to be opening and closing apps on it.
  19. leroove's Avatar
    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #59  
    kinda silly to be opening and closing apps on it.
    I would agree if I wasn't constantly getting the "too many cards open error". That defeats the whole purpose.
  20. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #60  
    So 2.1 is officially out for the hero??
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions