1.    #1  
    If you can use your Pre as a remote control for your TV. That would be wicked AWESOME!!!!!!..
    No IR on the Pre, you'd need to interface it to a device which does, easiest would be through wifi to a computer.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    No IR on the Pre, you'd need to interface it to a device which does, easiest would be through wifi to a computer.
    I was thinking about the Infared receiver too. But i thought it was hidden somewhere...(i dunno lol..Im not a tech wiz)...Well, nice thought though.
    In the Iphone camp there are two solutions. One attaches to the charging/syncing port and gives you IR.

The other attached to your EARPHONE jack, and looks like a little antenna. Pretty slick stuff!

I always thought the IR remotes on my Palms were cool until I found out the IR was so weak you had to be 4 feet from the device. /balldrop
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    Okay, sure, it would be pretty cool, but how would it work? No IR port and the placement of the MicroUSB port makes any attachments awkward.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Okay, sure, it would be pretty cool, but how would it work? No IR port and the placement of the MicroUSB port makes any attachments awkward.
    Yeah, well, i guess, just make the remote apps landscape...i suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    If you can use your Pre as a remote control for your TV. That would be wicked AWESOME!!!!!!..
    Maybe we are just different. By the end of the day, I can't wait to NOT have my cell phone in my hand!! lol
    If we could interface with either the USB port or the jack you could make a small adapter which only needs to be large enough for the LED so 1/3 of an inch, or smaller if you use a micro-LED of some kind, probably wouldn't be too bad, but considering we don't have access to the mic yet I don't think it's coming anytime soon, unless they plan to release a super special awesome update to the SDK with alot more access.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    If we could interface with either the USB port or the jack you could make a small adapter which only needs to be large enough for the LED so 1/3 of an inch, or smaller if you use a micro-LED of some kind, probably wouldn't be too bad, but considering we don't have access to the mic yet I don't think it's coming anytime soon, unless they plan to release a super special awesome update to the SDK with alot more access.
    Well, I assume the iPhone ones that connect to the headphone jack just convert sounds to IR frequencies in the little thing that plugs in. If that's the case, there's not really anything in the SDK stopping it from being possible on the Pre.
    I watch TV thru my PC anyways, and most of the time when watching movies or listening to music I find the VLC remote and client allows me to control what ever i need to, including selecting files to play, skipping, volume, ect....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    It would be nice to have a WIFI bridge device that would allow you to learn and send IR signals. Of course, you would also need the software on the phone to configure and backup everything.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    There's a Boxee remote app which works via wifi. I haven't noticed a lag. Not really a TV remote, but works for me.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    There's a Boxee remote app which works via wifi. I haven't noticed a lag. Not really a TV remote, but works for me.
    Boxee?....It works for your tv?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Boxee?....It works for your tv?
    Boxee's just software that consolidates practically every source of video on the web into one very slick very easy to use interface. Right now it's just software so it involves hooking a computer up to your tv, but Dlink has created a box that will ship sometime this summer I think. But it's super easy to use and you can watch youtube, hulu, netflix, break.com, icanhascheezburger, etc. on your tv and it's built to work with a variety of remotes, i.e. bluetooth, ir, and over wifi using the app on the palm pre.
    If you have a Boxee Box or your PC connected to your TV, yes.

Another good point is that there's a SageTV remote if you use that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If you have a Boxee Box or your PC connected to your TV, yes.

Another good point is that there's a SageTV remote if you use that too.
    Boxee box isn't available yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    Boxee box isn't available yet.
    Yeah but supposedly it should be out in the next two months.