Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You read correctly! I was at Sea World San Diego over the weekend and had the phone in my front shirt pocket. Shamu came around splashing the crowd and soaked us. The phone didn't take a direct hit but rather got damp. Well that was enough to kill it. When i took it out of my pocket the only thing that was wet was the back cover. Its been a few days and the screen lights uo but no icons. Basically i can receive calls but thats it. I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement through the insurance The big moral of the story is damn this phone is sensitive. It barely got wet and its pretty much ruined. I've left other phones in sprinklers before and still kept going. Well now i'm waiting for my Replacement which should be here soon. Anybody else ruined theirs by getting it wet?

This is just some video i was shooting prior to its demise.
    Last edited by SocalBurt; 03/22/2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Video added
    When it gets wet it is extremely important to remove the battery. This is a electronic issue and really couldn't have been prevented with any phone, it just so happens water conducts electricity and shorts are not a good thing, not to mention the Pre is an extremely complicated piece of equipment and while it does have some protections against damage of this nature it's not protected 100%.
    Did you immediately take out the battery? If not, that could have fried it.

When your phone gets wet, take out the battery ASAP (without turning it on, even to just check it). Then put the phone in a bag of rice or silica gel to let it dry. It will work fine after that most of the time.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    It's the salt water, highly corrosive, it will kill any phone.
    My daughters Blackberry got splashed with salt water one time, toast, had to buy a new one.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I don't know for sure, but the water in the orca tank is probably salt water, as that is their more natural environment. If so, salt water conducts way more than tap water (your sprinker analogy), so it might of had better luck with out the extra salt in the water. Just a hunch though
    You are lucky Shamu didn't kill you.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869 View Post
    You are lucky Shamu didn't kill you.
    LMAO!
    And when they warned you that you were sitting in a section that was going to get wet you...?? (as the have for 30 years)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    very rarely will water kill a phone.

even salt.

battery out!

rinse in fresh water for 2-3 mins, towel dry, shake as much water out as possible, and put it in a zip lock baggie full of rice for a day or so.

Chances are good, the phone will work once it dries out completely.

My Centro was under water for over an hour in brackish, (salt/fresh tidal river), water, ...I rinsed it in tap water for 5 mins. and once it dried out, (it took the screen another day or two to clear completely), it worked for another year, until it's retirement in June of last year. ...still in use as an Audible.com book reader, and night-stand alarm clock.
  10.    #10  
    The first thing i did was remove the battery and kept on with our little trip at the park. I guess my big mistake was about 5 hours later i turned it on. I was under the impression only the back cover was wet. The battery compartment was dry and i didn't see any sign of water but impatient me put the battery in and all i got was a blank screen so i fried something i guess. I love this phone and have not been able to get by without it since the first day i got it so it was a lesson for me on being more careful with it. But really it was tucked nice and snug in my front shirt pocket i didn't expect it to be ruined by just getting damp. Sprinklers or dropped in water yes but it only got damp. Oh well i can't wait till Wed when FedEx bring me my new one
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SocalBurt View Post
    You read correctly! I was at Sea World San Diego over the weekend and had the phone in my front shirt pocket. Shamu came around splashing the crowd and soaked us. The phone didn't take a direct hit but rather got damp. Well that was enough to kill it. When i took it out of my pocket the only thing that was wet was the back cover. Its been a few days and the screen lights uo but no icons. Basically i can receive calls but thats it. I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement through the insurance The big moral of the story is damn this phone is sensitive. It barely got wet and its pretty much ruined. I've left other phones in sprinklers before and still kept going. Well now i'm waiting for my Replacement which should be here soon. Anybody else ruined theirs by getting it wet?
    My first pre went swimming in a lake, I had it for only 3 weeks. It's still there at the bottom of the lake.
    Oh yeah I forgot, Salt water is much more conductive than normal water so sucky.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I see you are new here, but if you do a search, you will find plenty of folks who saved their phones from drowning. in salt water it's critical to rinse it out completely.

surprising, but true.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Maybe we need an app to warn us to stay away from Shamu!
  15.    #15  
    True i'm gonna try the rice thing its worth a shot. The phone turns on and i can recive calls but the screen is dead. I also have lots of silica packets from shoes i've bought. It seems to be coming back with every passing day. I'm thinking the salt water theory might be true. The back cover was damp but the front screen dry maybe that was enough to fry it. I had lots of apps open as it sat in my pocket so the phone was on i think. The whole thing was a bummer.
    I dropped my Treo in a "clean" toilet once. Immediately scooped it out, rinsed it off and started the resurrection process.

Some ideas:

Silica Gel: Those little packets you aren't supposed to eat that come in electronics. Put a few of these and your phone in a tupperware bowl and seal it. This will transfer all moisture to the silica.

Took it apart and q-tipped every bit of moisture I could see and not see. (This was in the old days, I dont suggest taking your phone apart unless you are desperate or it doesn't matter, which is probably true as concerned to warranties).

Leaving it in the sun: This worked wonders for drying up the mess of water behind the touchscreen.

The oven works. (Yikes)

Give up- buy a new phone.

Remember, Shamu works for Apple. He will target Palm users in a crowd. Never go to his show. He has been known to eat people (Hence the term, killer).

Hope this helps.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    SeaWorld is an amusement park, but there's nothing amusing about denying marine mammals the right to live in peace with their families in the world's oceans--where they belong. As the recent death of a trainer in Orlando proves, depriving these intelligent animals of everything that is natural and important to them turns them into ticking time bombs. You're lucky your Pre was the only thing killed.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    rice is your best friend.
    There was another thread on the same subject.

Check it out.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pre-water.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    SeaWorld is an amusement park, but there's nothing amusing about denying marine mammals the right to live in peace with their families in the world's oceans--where they belong. As the recent death of a trainer in Orlando proves, depriving these intelligent animals of everything that is natural and important to them turns them into ticking time bombs. You're lucky your Pre was the only thing killed.
    Living in San Diego, I've grown up around Sea World. My thoughts:

Yes. Captive animals = Bad.

However, keeping a few whales captive, in order to educate and introduce their existence to the masses of people who would not otherwise even dream of the creatures, in my view is possibly acceptable.

It's something to be there in person with these whales. As a child, petting an actual whale did amazing things for my love of animals.

Today we have the internet, which is great at diseminating information. Perhaps we can shut down the Zoos now.

There is something to be said about IN PERSON vs VIRTUAL. It is something we must teach our children as well. The people at the San Diego Zoo and Sea World are some of the best zoologists on the planet. They rescue hundreds of animals a year. This may not be the case elsewhere, but I'm pretty sure these institutions may be the ones you want to keep around, at least in my town.
    Cool! Shamu killed my Palm Centro a few years ago too! I thought I wouldn't get very wet and that it would be safe in my pocket. I was wrong. So wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast