1.    #1  
    I've never seen this problem before, so I was wondering if it ever happened to anyone else.

I was listening to music from Slacker over my stereo headset. When music is playing, alerts are quieter, as they should be. But as it turns out, if it's between tracks, then the alerts play at full volume. Since I have an in-ear headset, and the alerts played at full volume, it was pretty much deafening.

Anyway, that's not the point of the story, though it is an annoyance.

The song came on, and the alerts were coming through quieter again, but then I started to get like 20 IMs in a row (one of those annoying friends who rambles and writes like 20 three-word messages rather than one long one).

So the alerts are coming in as I'm sliding the ringer switch to vibrate... and all of a sudden I get a different tone from the standard alert tone over the headset. It's an old-phone-like "brring" noise that I've never heard before this in the 9 months I've had my Pre, and still annoyingly loud, instead of vibrating.

(And no, it's not the "Older Phone" ringtone.)

... Ever since then, when I have my headset plugged in and the ringer switch on vibrate, the Pre doesn't vibrate on alerts, but plays this annoying tone. I've tried rebooting, changing the alert settings, pretty much everything I can think of.

With the headset out, it still vibrates instead of making a noise. But as soon as I plug the headset in, it plays this odd noise.

Pretty much the only thing I haven't done yet is webOS Doctor it. But has anyone else ever seen this issue and have any suggestions before that?
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Yes, I hear the same tone when listening to a Podcast with headphones on. Thought that was just normal since it has been consistent with the tone so I never researched if this is the correct way for the text notification to come through.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Yes, I hear the same tone when listening to a Podcast with headphones on. Thought that was just normal since it has been consistent with the tone so I never researched if this is the correct way for the text notification to come through.
    In the past (even earlier that day on 1.4) the vibrate worked correctly for me, and it'd just vibrate once and no tone, as you'd expect.
    is your guys vibrate working cause i dont get none at all?
  5.    #5  
    Well, I did a webOS Doctor, and it's still doing this incorrect behavior.

Weird. Hopefully they'll fix this in 1.4.1.
  6.    #6  
    1.4.1.1 does NOT fix this very annoying issue.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm having this same issue. I hate it. It's really loud and annoying while listening to music. A temporary fix is to go into Sounds & Ringtones and change the setting for Ringer Switch Off to Mute.
    Let Palm know we want this removed!
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Had that from day one, but only if it's on the Touchstone and I play with the vibrate switch. Haven't heard it anywhere else.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I have it, but to my memory, it only happens when I am charging the phone and it is on mute. I could be wrong, but I know it happens when I have the phone charging while listening to something at work...... but I don't remember it ever happening when I am playing something in the car and the phone is not charging.... I actually usually miss my notifications when in the car cuz the phone is in the center console.
  10.    #10  
    I also get the noise if I move the switch back and forth while on the Touchstone, but that doesn't bother me.

It's when it's doing it over the headphones for every incoming notification that's the issue (which is new to 1.4.) For me, that's actually a stereo headset with microphone, I wonder if that has any effect on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Had that from day one, but only if it's on the Touchstone and I play with the vibrate switch. Haven't heard it anywhere else.
    Same here. I'll mute my phone on the touchstone and it will make that noise. I've heard it a few other times as well but was never really able to duplicate it..

--edit--
    The TS noise though has been happening for as long as I can remember (maybe since June/July when I got my TS)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I also get the noise if I move the switch back and forth while on the Touchstone, but that doesn't bother me.

It's when it's doing it over the headphones for every incoming notification that's the issue (which is new to 1.4.) For me, that's actually a stereo headset with microphone, I wonder if that has any effect on it.
    mine is with a standard stereo headset (no mic).... but like I said, when charging
  13.    #13  
    Still happening, even on 1.4.5, and really obnoxious still.