1.    #1  
    I live in the US, have a Palm Pre through Sprint, and am about to travel to the UK for a week. Is there any way I can use the Pre abroad? I did search the fora for similar questions but didn't come up with any.
    Check with Sprint to see what your charges will be. You only have America Roaming, you can't even roam into Canada without extra fees.
    I was in Istanbul and Athens last year and I used my Sprint Pre all the time... albeit in Airplane Mode with Wi-Fi turned on. In other words, no phone calls. If you're looking to use it for calls, I suggest buying a cheap, pre-paid for phone once you're in-country. Soooo much less hassle and very much more economical overall. My 2 cents.

Cheers!
    Anything that requires the CDMA radio will not work in the UK (calls, texts).
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 03/22/2010 at 09:24 PM.
    Canada has CDMA. So does quite a bit of Europe, its just on a different frequency. Both the Pre and the Pixi are capable of using overseas CDMA networks.

UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hate Wikipedia, but it's the easiest in this case.

In Canada, both Bell Mobility and Telus operate CDMA networks. Look at your Sprint plan for your Pre, Canada roaming is an add-on to your regular US plan. Telus also still runs an IDEN network, last I checked.

Go check Bell Mobility's site. You have an option for CDMA phones, with a coverage map. They didn't even fire up their GSM network until January of this year, and the plan is to phase out CDMA over time.

I DO know some things, ya know.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/22/2010 at 07:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Sorry I completey misread the OP:

There's LOTS of CMDA coverage in the UK, so you do have a valid point.
    Not.

EDIT: if you hate Wikipedia, follow my link above to CDMA networks overview.

Cheapie rental phones to the rescue!
    Canada has GSM and CDMA, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    OP, you hear that? Don't go to the UK. Go to Canada.
    Yeah............Canada is much easier to walk to.
    Things went in an odd route in this thread. I realize that the head of state for Canada and the UK is the same.....

Better info here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...veling-uk.html

Quote Originally Posted by aeshapera View Post
    I live in the US, have a Palm Pre through Sprint, and am about to travel to the UK for a week. Is there any way I can use the Pre abroad? I did search the fora for similar questions but didn't come up with any.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    You need to be a country with CDMA, and it has to match the frequency that your phone receives.

I was in India in January, didn't expect CDMA phones to work, but my boss used his Verizon phone there, and I learned that they actually have a large CDMA network over there. Sure enough, my Sprint Pre worked fine (though I brought along an unlocked GSM Centro as well).

As far as I know, you are probably limited to the US, Canada, and India with a Verizon or Sprint Pre.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Neither of those two links show what frequencies the Pre uses, just what bands are used by CDMA in particular regions...

In any case, just trying to help, without any misleading info, and a bit busy so can't spend too much time digging into external links, just trying to remember the info from when I did dig into them.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    sprint.com has an international coverage map that should show you where you can use your phone. Personally, I have used Sprint roaming for voice and sms in thailand, brazil and mexico. I didn't try it in other south american countries as I was on a budget. I didn't get good reception in europe (italy, greece, france) but I was not really checking much either.