Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    My Pre Plus will not charge using USB...whether plugged in directly to the device or using the Touchstone. I've tried multiple (known to be working) USB ports, three different computers, including Mac and Windows, several different USB cables...it's just not happening.

Googling this shows that a few others have had this problem. Is this something that might get fixed in a future update (WebOS 1.4 didn't fix it) or will I just have to live with charging with the wall outlet?
    a regular USB port will not provide enough power for touchstone charging, but it should be charging through USB via a cable to the port. if it's not, take it in for a replacement.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    See if it will charge with the wall outlet, if it does then you know the battery is taking a charge and the cord is fine...which means you probably need to take in the touchstone for a replacement. If it doesn't charge, it is the battery that needs a replacement.
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    See if it will charge with the wall outlet, if it does then you know the battery is taking a charge and the cord is fine...which means you probably need to take in the touchstone for a replacement. If it doesn't charge, it is the battery that needs a replacement.
    I should have been more specific in the last sentence of my original post, but it charges fine with the Touchstone or directly from the wall outlet. It just won't charge with the USB using the Touchstone OR the wall outlet, even though the cord is good.

I think I'll wait to take it back for a replacement until after the Nexus One comes out for Verizon (supposedly tomorrow). Since I'm 100% Google Apps here, that might be a better device for me. This works fine, but it doesn't port over birthdays and anniversaries (and some other fields) that are in Google Contacts.
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    I should have been more specific in the last sentence of my original post, but it charges fine with the Touchstone or directly from the wall outlet. It just won't charge with the USB using the Touchstone OR the wall outlet, even though the cable is good.

I think I'll wait to take it back for a replacement until after the Nexus One comes out for Verizon (supposedly tomorrow). Since I'm 100% Google Apps here, that might be a better device for me. This works fine, but it doesn't port over birthdays and anniversaries (and some other fields) that are in Google Contacts.
    How would you describe Doesn't Charge? The power coming from a normal USB slot is pretty small and could appear to not charge as it is not nearly as fast as when plugged into an actual outlet.

Also, you will not be happy with anything but a Palm Pre once you've tried it. That is all.
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    How would you describe Doesn't Charge? The power coming from a normal USB slot is pretty small and could appear to not charge as it is not nearly as fast as when plugged into an actual outlet.

Also, you will not be happy with anything but a Palm Pre once you've tried it. That is all.
    "Doesn't charge" = just that...it will NOT charge the phone and the lightning bolt on the icon (indicating that it is charging) doesn't show up. Additionally, after an hour plugged into the USB port the battery level hasn't changed at all.

I didn't say I wasn't happy with the Palm Pre Plus...I'm very happy with it except for three things: keyboard (I must have large thumbs or something); the fact that all the fields in Google Contacts don't sync to the Palm, and lastly that the fonts in the Mail App are not scalable. Not everyone is 20 years old with perfect vision, or nearsighted. I'm farsighted so I have to really squint or put on reading glasses to see the text. Regarding the syncing problem, there is a Birthday field in the Palm and one in Google Contacts...but they won't sync. They do sync with Nexus one...as do all the other fields that are added to the Nexus One (Anniversaries, etc.).

I may try the Nexus One and hate it...won't know until I play with it, but after nearly 12 years using BlackBerries I'm very glad I moved to the Palm Pre Plus. I just wasn't going to leave Verizon for any phone. It's a shame the Pre couldn't have beat the Droid to VZW...Palm wouldn't be in such a mess right now.
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post

"Doesn't charge" = just that...it will NOT charge the phone and the lightning bolt on the icon (indicating that it is charging) doesn't show up. Additionally, after an hour plugged into the USB port the battery level hasn't changed at all.

I didn't say I wasn't happy with the Palm Pre Plus...I'm very happy with it except for three things: keyboard (I must have large thumbs or something); the fact that all the fields in Google Contacts don't sync to the Palm, and lastly that the fonts in the Mail App are not scalable. Not everyone is 20 years old with perfect vision, or nearsighted. I'm farsighted so I have to really squint or put on reading glasses to see the text (especially in HTML newsletters). Regarding the syncing problem, there is a Birthday field in the Palm and one in Google Contacts...but they won't sync. They do sync with Nexus one...as do all the other fields that are added to the Nexus One (Anniversaries, etc.).

I may try the Nexus One and hate it...won't know until I play with it, but after nearly 12 years using BlackBerries I'm very glad I moved to the Palm Pre Plus. I just wasn't going to leave Verizon for any phone. It's a shame the Pre couldn't have beat the Droid to VZW...Palm wouldn't be in such a mess right now.