Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Serious question, people have been saying the hardware is outdated and the device is 10 months old. However, I love WebOS and cannot wait to have it for myself... My contract is up April 1st. I am a very impatient person, however I don't know if I should wait another 5-6 months for the next webos device... this WinMo 6.5 is driving me crazy...
    I think u should wait, palm needs a new device out cause a lot of people are losing interest due to bad hardware design. but that is to be expected on any 1st gen device, but I'm sure the second revise will be worth the wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by benly52 View Post
    Serious question, people have been saying the hardware is outdated and the device is 10 months old. However, I love WebOS and cannot wait to have it for myself... My contract is up April 1st. I am a very impatient person, however I don't know if I should wait another 5-6 months for the next webos device... this WinMo 6.5 is driving me crazy...

We are probably not going to see any new devices untill the summer. Since releasing a new device would even make it harder for verizon, sprint, bell, and others to get rid of their pre surplus..

The hardware is fine, but slow, and has a crappy battery. If you overclock to 800 mhz, that i'll get rid of the speed issue, you can buy a spare battery to fix the battery life.
    A lot of people are pick at everything. It's a great phone as it is and sold my iPhone for it. I needed it NOW! I got it on release day and love it. Granted, they will be releasing a new device soon, but the Pre is a great phone. The speed is not blazing fast, but it's what you would EXPECT it to be, you know? Try it out at the store. See if you want it. Play with it for 15 min and see what you think for yourself. I will not be overclocking my Pre because I can wait about a second or two for something to load. It really is exaggerated.
    Well said Reign25, that's exactly how I feel about my Pre.
    The Pre isn't as slow as people make it seem The longest I've had to wait for an app to open is at maximum 3 seconds. If you're into modding, you can easily overclock the Pre and everything will be much quicker.

The battery life is decent. I can go a full day with moderate to heavy web browsing and still have 15-20% battery left. There are options out there for bigger batteries. The stock battery is 1150 mAh, and the biggest aftermarket battery currently available is 3800mAh.

Basically, you should buy a Pre if you want one. I'm a very impatient person too and it would drive me crazy waiting months to buy a phone I wanted
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'd wait a couple of months, you will either see palm announce an updated device that turns the company around and you can buy that or they don't and you get a pre on a fantastic deal as the carriers have firesales to get rid of the stock before the company goes under.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The hardware isn't even fully utilized yet, how can it be outdated? I know there are faster cpu's, bigger brighter screens,ect.ect.ect. out there but with flash still pending, PDK just hitting the market and webOS still maturing, this thing has atleast till omap4 cpu's hit shelves before it's truly dated.

If you must have the latest hardware I'd wait a couple more months to see what's coming from all the handset makers. If you want to get some webOS action now I'd get the preplus or sprint pre and not worry about the dated thingy if you really desire a pre and/or webOS.

For the record sprint pre here and still loving it after 5 Months!
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    I think u should wait, palm needs a new device out cause a lot of people are losing interest due to bad hardware design. but that is to be expected on any 1st gen device, but I'm sure the second revise will be worth the wait.
    I love your enthusiasm!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    The hardware isn't even fully utilized yet, how can it be outdated? I know there are faster cpu's, bigger brighter screens,ect.ect.ect. out there but with flash still pending, PDK just hitting the market and webOS still maturing, this thing has atleast till omap4 cpu's hit shelves before it's truly dated.

If you must have the latest hardware I'd wait a couple more months to see what's coming from all the handset makers. If you want to get some webOS action now I'd get the preplus or sprint pre and not worry about the dated thingy if you really desire a pre and/or webOS.

For the record sprint pre here and still loving it after 5 Months!
    The innards is probably not too old, but the overall appearance and build quality is.
    S'up to you. At best, Palm will release new hardware in July (assuming a one-year refresh), but as to what that is, who knows. Try it out yourself locally. Right now, it's the slider formfactor, if that appeals to you, I'd buy now. There's no guarantee that the next hardware will be the same layout. If you love the current design, I'd also agree to wait a couple of months, three probably, the current price will drop if new hardware is released, even if Palm does a complete 180 in corporate price, they'll be trying to move first gen hardware to make room for the new.

You said you're impatient, though.........go try one in person, and see what you think.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    If I didn't already have a pre, I know I'd still want one!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    If I didn't already have a pre, I know I'd still want one!!!!
    Buy another one! I want one for each personality......there's a couple that don't trust each other very much.
    buy a Pre Plus now, no question. As webOS gets updated on a 6-8weeks base, it won't be 'outdated' anytime soon. Even if new hardware gets shipped, I expect webOS updates in line with it. This device is capable of so much more, they won't drop it.

overall...I don't think there will be a successor soon. Maybe an additional highend phone parallel. The pre is and will be a good phone, so buy it now!