Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    Is there any way to get the time and locked icon off the display while the device is on the Touchstone charger? I know the display is dimmed and it shouldn't burn an image in it, but I'd rather have the display turned completely off. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by larrymcj View Post
    Is there any way to get the time and locked icon off the display while the device is on the Touchstone charger? I know the display is dimmed and it shouldn't burn an image in it, but I'd rather have the display turned completely off. Thanks
    nope. Just open the clock app if you only need to see the time..
    it doesnt burn but if you are really worried download the app "brightness unlinked" and they will have an option to turn it off completely.
    I've been hoping for an option to turn this screen off while on touchstone.. it really is kinda bright at night.. or to turn on for 30 seconds when an alert comes in.. then turn back off. And while in this mode.. if you just tap the screen.. it will turn on for 30-60 seconds then turn off.

In a pitch black room it's a 1/2 decent night light.. i use a piece of cloth to cover it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by larrymcj View Post
    You won't have an image burned into the display, that's a problem with CRT tube type displays. Even then it has to be a completely static image, no change whatsoever. Go find an old CRT or TV used heavily for one game with a static HUD on the bottom. The seperator lines will be "burned in", but the changing items like numeric displays won't. Even if you do manage to leave your Pre screen on, with the same image displayed for a year or more, it's not really "burning" the image in as the old tube displays were prone to, it's called "image retention", and there's several ways to repair it yourself. You basically just have to tell the affected pixels to turn all the way off. CRT pixels generate their own light, which is why they get the burn effect, phosphors in the pixel actually burn the glass. LCD's use seperate, passive backlighting, the pixels themselves have no lighting of their own. No display surface burning.

If the light from the display bothers you.........I have my touchstone on my nightstand (too lazy to get up to answer the phone), normally it's not an issue, but if it is, I just turn the whole thing around backwards, so its facing away from me. Or, you can throw a dirty sock over it.
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    Thanks for the comments...and as I said in my original post: I know it won't damage the LCD display, it just bothers me being on all the time, even sitting at my desk. Maybe someday (if Palm survives) they add some features like antonio3 mentioned.

Coming from 12 years with BlackBerries, what I wish they had was a simple option to turn the device on/off at specified times during the week and on weekends. Maybe someday they'll add this option.
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    Thanks for the comments...and as I said in my original post: I know it won't damage the LCD display, it just bothers me being on all the time, even sitting at my desk. Maybe someday (if Palm survives) they add some features like antonio3 mentioned.

Coming from 12 years with BlackBerries, what I wish they had was a simple option (that all BBs have) to turn the device on/off at specified times during the week and on weekends. Maybe someday they'll add this option.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I just got my Pre a few days ago. Is it not possible to charge the Pre on the touchstone with the power turned off? I tried that for a while today but it seemed like the battery % level was lower when I turned it back on (about an hour later) than it was when I put in on the touchstone. Seems weird if you have to have the device powered on to charge it on the touchstone.
    As mentioned in post#3, try the homebrew app "Brightness Unlinked." It has a preference to turn off the screen while on the touchstone.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    The Mode Switcher app discussed here http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-switcher.html allows you to change the phone's settings according to a schedule. Screen off while on touchstone is one of the options you can schedule.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses guys, but changing the phone's settings to turn the screen off while charging wasn't my question. I was asking if it is possible to charge the device on the touchstone with the phone turned off completely. It appears, from my brief test the other day, that the device needs to be powered ON for the battery to charge, or am I missing something?
    @Mutz, my answer is in response to the question this thread is about. If you want to ask a different question, start another thread.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Ok thanks. The OP's original question was answered back in March so I assumed you were attempting to answer my more recent question.
    I'll start a new thread to avoid further confusion.
    Thanks again for the responses.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    brightness unlinked turns the screen off while on the TS charger