1.    #1  
    Is there anywhere to turn off the LCD backlighting when the phone is on the Touchstone dock? I'd prefer it to turn off to save on screen life, and to help keep the phone as cool as possible while charging.
    yea, go to homebrew and get Quick System Tasks. It has all sorts of quick tweaks for your phone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, but I was hoping for something already there. I'm a little afraid of installing all the homebrew stuff as it seems like the people that do tend to have more problems.
    Patches can mess up your phone's OS, but the app are safe. They don't modify anything deep in the OS code, they just modify settings that are already available, or possibly not displayed.

But I understand if you are hesitant to use homebrew.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Been using the TS charger with my pre now for almost 10 months, the screen is fine and so is my launch day pre.
    Turn your screen brightness all the way down. LCD screens themselves will last nearly indefinitely, but the backlighting will start to wear out over time, they'll get dimmer. The actual pixels themselves are not a light source.

Setting for the backlight is in the screen and lock menu, last page of your launcher, top right. Turn the brightness down to zero. Unless the light source is faulty, it should last five years or more under regular usage. The phone will be way outdated before the backlighting gets too dim to use.
    Like I said, 10 months now and my screen is as bright as it was the day I bought it. The engineers at Palm would not have designed it to stay on if it would have damaged/shortened the life of the screen.
    Yeah, I don't think its much of a concern. It turns off enough when off the charger to limit any excessive wear.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks guys. I'll just leave it as-is and be happy