Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    First time poster here, but I'm at a standstill and don't know what to do. So I'm ready to get a new phone, and played around with a couple at the Verizon store this weekend. I love the Pre Plus. I don't want to get a Droid or a Blackberry (I'm actually returning mine within the 30-day guarantee window). Then I saw the news. With all the possible fates of Palm in the near future, do you think it would be wise to still get a Pre Plus? Even if another company snatched up Palm, it can't be that bad for existing Pre owners, right?

Help!

Many thanks.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    It's still a great smartphone. If Palm fails (which I don't expect), then the only thing that will happen is that there won't be any more updates or new apps. If someone buys them, they may continue to support the Pre. Either way, you still have a good phone until you are eligible to upgrade. If you like it, buy it. I love mine.
    Absolutely get one. As it currently is, I think the Pre Plus is the best phone on the market, and there is a spectacular homebrew community. Palm will not go out without a fight, so over the next year I feel they will aggressively work on software updates and working with developers to improve. They have enough cash on hand for at least another year, and I am confident they will work hard to keep improving an already great platform!
    There's a good post on this here, but here's my opinion on the subject... quoted from that thread:

If you like the phone and you're okay with the apps that are currently available, then I don't see why not.

One, it's not like Palm is just going to disappear overnight, they've still got cash on hand to last them a little while.

Two, even with the news, if you feel the platform is the best fit for you, that's not going to change even if they did go out of business. If they do, hopefully the other OSes / devices catch up in the ways that you feel webOS is better, and you can just move on then.
    I don't think you can go wrong getting a Pre at this time. The device is awesome as is so at the very least it's going to stay as is. Though personally I believe we will continue to get updates and improve.

I also agree though that you need to make sure it does everything you need the way it is now and not depend on what can be or might be.
    Whether you're scared by the news or unaffected, WAIT...if you must absolutely have the Pre or Pre Plus.

Either:

A) They will right the ship, and carriers will drop the prices on the existing models soon to allow them to do so.
    B) They will fail, and carriers will drop the prices to clear out the garbage.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I would not be afraid to get the phone. The worst thing that would happen is you would go in a different direction with your next upgrade. I almost returned mine for a Droid. Then I held a friend's Droid, and it seemed like a giant heavy brick.

Make sure you are not afraid to apply patches, as they add much usability. If I can do it anyone can.
    Look at it this way. If palm does go down, it will most likely be bought out by someone rather than simply disappear overnight.

As everyone else mentioned they do indeed have cash still to last them for a while.
    If that time does come and they do not get bought out by anyone, the homebrew community will completely take over. See what I can see happening is, if palm does go down they'll release all information needed for the homebrew community to support and allow existing users to upgrade by support of homebrew. As it is, they've released a lot of already useful patches (HB Community).

I'd say go for it and buy it. I just bought a pre plus and was in the same situation as you. I hated android + blackberry + WM and I couldn't disagree with webOS.

Seriously, I love my Pre Plus. I have no regrets with my purchase. I'm confident Palm will work things out. As it is, it's mostly their advertising that's lacking. Should they get that fixed, it should be smooth sailing.
    Well, are you planning on investing a few thousand bucks in Palm stock along with buying the phone?

You're buying a phone. It's going to be outdated in a year, maybe two at most, and you'll be on to another. Worst case, apps won't get updates, but that's it. It's not like the Pre is going to be confiscated by a band of roving investment hitmen if Palm goes under in six months.

It's a killer phone, I'd buy it even if the stock were in the negatives.
    even if they disappear tomorrow, the phone and software as is today are great.

it would easily get you through for 12 months until youre eligible for another upgrade. (yes i know we are talking about verizon and not sprint)
    they have been writing palms post mortem for years, the fact of the matter is, palm will be around longer than us
    I would wait for a desire or devour android phone.. Or nexus one.

or... If you can the next palm hardware.
    The only reason you should consider waiting is to see if they announce new hardware, but even if they do it won't come out for the next 3 months (based on revenue estimates for next quarter). Palm's stock price has little to do with the phone/apps in its current state. There is a great article from the WSJ just last week posted in another thread saying how the app maker selfaware games chose to develop for webos instead of the iphone and is profiting from the increased exposure (not lost in apple's app store). Webos is too good of an operating system for it to disappear overnight. Worst case scenario it gets bought out or goes open source and palm's way out. If you're really worried, you can get the insurance though vz for the hardware
    Also, bear in mind that in early 2009, Apple stock dropped like a rock on a mission when news of Jobs' health got out. $180 per share down to below $50. They actually tend to spike with new products, but ride quite low after the inital marketeing glut gets old. We have a product based on a corporation with a brand entity. Palm gets bought out again, we still have Palm and all the good stuff it comes with. Jobs dies, Apple will probably go with him.

I understand the concern, but that really only applies to investors, not end users on a time limited product.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    tried a droid - not as smooth as the palm's webos

tried an iphone - had pos service, and that was in major cities like manhattan and parts of nj

tried a bb - best of the best keyboard, but why the small screens with no touch capability?

i think palm will be around in some shape or form and should not affect you buying a pre today...the webos o/s is far superior to android and the iphone....and for that reason will prob be picked up by someone else...as has been mentioned before, it's cheaper for a company to buy palm for its software, rather than spending money to build it from scratch....i think support should exist still....

ps heck, i'd opt for a win7 phone if i couldn't use webos
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by scratch4 View Post
    First time poster here, but I'm at a standstill and don't know what to do. So I'm ready to get a new phone, and played around with a couple at the Verizon store this weekend. I love the Pre Plus. I don't want to get a Droid or a Blackberry (I'm actually returning mine within the 30-day guarantee window). Then I saw the news. With all the possible fates of Palm in the near future, do you think it would be wise to still get a Pre Plus? Even if another company snatched up Palm, it can't be that bad for existing Pre owners, right?

Help!

Many thanks.
    If you don't like Android or Blackberry but want a Verizon smartphone your choices are a bit limited, basically its WebOS or Windows Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post

i think palm will be around in some shape or form and should not affect you buying a pre today...the webos o/s is far superior to android and the iphone....and for that reason will prob be picked up by someone else...as has been mentioned before, it's cheaper for a company to buy palm for its software, rather than spending money to build it from scratch....i think support should exist still....
    Problem is, it's cheaper for a smartphone manufacturer to just use Android. Its hard to be cheaper than free.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Wow, I go out for some dinner, and come back to 14 replies. Amazing community you guys have here!

My long-term previous phone was an iPhone. Then I got a BB on Verizon. Then I realized, BB really hasn't changed their OS since their 7000 series (which I used for work about 4-5 years ago). I think Android has great potential, but don't like the Droid. Pre Plus with its WebOS is a beautiful OS and has all the features I am looking for despite all the little issues.

Thanks for all the responses above.. there's a lot of valid points I didn't really think about. If, worst-case scenario, Palm goes away and the support for the Pre ceases, then I would probably be eligible to buy a new phone at that point anyway. But with all the potential in WebOS, HOPEFULLY not!

My 30-day window to return the BB ends this week, so I'll probably be exchanging it for a Pre Plus. Thanks again!
    Just adding my two cents: Get it! You will not regret it. Even if Palm somehow magically disappeared overnight the awesome webOS Dev community will support the Pre until it's time for all of us to get a new phone.

The webOS Dev community was already up and running before Palm was taking general submitions for it's App Catalog. At one point, there were more Homebrew apps than official App Cat apps.

Again, you will not regret buying a Palm Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by scratch4 View Post
    My 30-day window to return the BB ends this week, so I'll probably be exchanging it for a Pre Plus. Thanks again!
    Go for it! You'll love it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast