Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree on all points except for 2.

Anything less than 1 ghz would put them behind the 8-ball right out of the gates. Virtually every notable device currently in the pipeline is in the 1 ghz range. Within 6 months they'd be run over by faster devices. Just pack the thing with a higher capacity battery to make up for the difference.

Ditch the physical keyboard, at least on the next device. Sticking with their principles is what got them in the mess they're in now. Every one of the top selling devices are all the all screen, candybar style devices. The public has spoken and that's what the majority of them want. Don't get me wrong, I personally prefer a physical keyboard, just not the ridiculously unusable portrait keyboard currently adding to Palms problems.

Strictly from a business standpoint, now is not the time for principles, sticking to their guns, or trying to be some sort of rebel. They need to make money NOW. Build the type of device that is currently hot to build up some revenue, then go build something new or different.
    They need to take an iPhone, a Nexus One, and a Blackberry Storm, squash them together, stuff in WebOS, make it available to every carrier on the planet, and ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE.

I still think some sort of partner with someone like HTC or Motorola could be help them get a solid device to market much quicker. Just imagine a Droid like device or a Nexus One type device running WebOS. That would truly be the iPhone killer.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    Tangle of contradictions? You must work for Palm, because it's that attitude that has gotten them where they are now. My E71 was VERY sexy and included a 1500 mAh battery. The original iPhone was quite sexy with a 1400 mAh battery onboard. The Nexus one is very sexy with a 1400 mAh. Hardly a contradiction to put a large battery on there and have it be sexy. The screen specs I have listed are exactly on par with the iPhone and an improvement over the current Pre and the iPhone does just fine.

The only time I suggested Palm stick to their principles was with the hardware keyboard, which many, many people like and somehow, I doubt that was what led them to a precipice.
    Buddy, it's the combination of those things that will lead to a most non-sexy device.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Buddy, it's the combination of those things that will lead to a most non-sexy device.
    Maybe because of the hardware keyboard, I can buy that. But the Nexus One and HD2 do just fine in the sex appeal department with decent-sized batteries and large screens, but granted they are touchscreen-only.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    1. 700-800 mhz CPU. Please don't use the 1 Ghz Snapdragon. The speed increases at 1 Ghz vs 700 Mhz aren't significant, but the battery drain will be quite noticeable and Palm has had enough problems with battery life already.
    If they don't make a major CPU upgrade, they die. So whether they want to go with a 1Ghz Snapdragon or one of these A9 chips at whatever clock-speed, they can't just move up to 700Mhz.

5. [B]Increase screen size to at least 3.4-3.5", with resolution of 480x320.
    It can't just be 480x320. Not anymore. Virtually every Android phone coming out is WVGA, that is at least 800x480. Which is twice the resolution of the current Pre. There are also strong rumors that suggest the next iPhone will use Samsung's "Super OLEDs" that are WVGA, work well in sunlight and have multitouch built into the actual display. 480x320 may be adequate, but Palm needs more than adequate to survive. Again, if they don't step it up on the resolution front, they deserve to go under.

I can live without the AMOLED, though I do think you people are overly critical of it in sunlight, but the resolution has to be WVGA.
    I don't understand why you're against a 4G phone? Maybe elaborate a little more on that?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I don't understand why you're against a 4G phone? Maybe elaborate a little more on that?
    I don't think he is against a 4G phone, he just thinks it is too soon to technically do it well. The current WiMax compatible chipsets are sort of clunky and not battery efficient at all. A few revisions down the line they will be. But until then, there isn't a good enough solution to do it well. In the meantime, there still isn't much 4G coverage and using existing 3G radios will keep the cost down. So it makes sense.

It is similar to the first iPhone coming out without 3G. 3G radios existed at that time, but they weren't refined and optimized yet. A year later, they had much more power efficient radios that the iPhone was able to use.
    4g is a must for my next phone .
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    I don't think he is against a 4G phone, he just thinks it is too soon to technically do it well. The current WiMax compatible chipsets are sort of clunky and not battery efficient at all. A few revisions down the line they will be. But until then, there isn't a good enough solution to do it well. In the meantime, there still isn't much 4G coverage and using existing 3G radios will keep the cost down. So it makes sense.

It is similar to the first iPhone coming out without 3G. 3G radios existed at that time, but they weren't refined and optimized yet. A year later, they had much more power efficient radios that the iPhone was able to use.
    That pretty much sums up my point. In addition to what he already said, as I pointed out in my original post, the first run of 4G devices are bound to have issues and Palm simply can't risk being one of the manufacturers hit with those problems, when their life depends on flawless hardware this time around.

Clearly, I am off base on the screen resolution. WVGA is probably a must, as so many people have pointed out. Point taken.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12