Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I am deciding to get a pre but Im stuck at whether I should go on Verizon or Sprint. I travel a lot around the U.S, and I need a provider that would cover me all over the U.S, now I know many will say Verizon but I heard on Sprint you can roam on Verizon's network for free. Also since Verizon works in many subways doesn't that mean Sprint can roam on Verizon in the subway. So what do you guys think is a good provider? BTW I really don't care about the pre plus, I mostly care about coverage and price. Thanks, any responses are greatly appreciated
    I think you've already answered your question. There is no doubt that Verizon has the better coverage, but Sprint has the better price. You have to decide which is more important. Even though Sprint can and does roam on Verizon it's at very slow speeds (for me 1x) and you won't be doing any or very little data while you're roaming. The other problem I've encountered is when I'm roaming calls go straight to voice mail. For me price was most important so I stuck with Sprint, but if I "had to have" the coverage I definitely would have gone with Verizon.
    Well I can only give you my opinion from my lifestyle and point of view.

I live in Orlando, and travel to many major cities for work from time to time. I have been a Sprint customer for many years and have never had a coverage issue.

As for Price, you can NOT beat Sprint. The same level of services with Verizon are about twice the price. With Sprint you get the everything data, with GPS and internet , and anymobile for one set price. Verizon does the add on for each one deal, bringing the total up.

I have been overall happy with both Sprints service and their pricing plans.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

I had verizon and switched to sprint for the pre...I travel a lot and have found that coverage is pretty much the same, but sprint is just a lot cheaper.
    Sprint's frequency doesn't penetrate buildings as well as Verizon. a specific example to me is one of the local malls. Verizon would always be full on EVDO, whereas Sprint is constantly trying to roam or gets no signal at all.

also, as far as subways go, i know Chicago has agreements in place where Sprint won't work at all in the subway's even though they have an exclusive agreement with Verizon and AT&T.
    I work/travel a lot in the tri-state area of CA, AZ and NV and when I switched from Verizon to Sprint last June I could not tell any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    There is no doubt that Verizon has the better coverage
    I take serious issue with this statement. I have been all over the country and have never had an issue with Sprint. I'm not saying that they are perfect everywhere, but I have never had a problem with them.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Quote Originally Posted by babecka View Post
    I had verizon and switched to sprint for the pre...I travel a lot and have found that coverage is pretty much the same, but sprint is just a lot cheaper.
    I did the same. Can't complain about Sprint coverage, seems just fine to me.
    Even though Sprint can and does roam on Verizon it's at very slow speeds (for me 1x) and you won't be doing any or very little data while you're roaming. The other problem I've encountered is when I'm roaming calls go straight to voice mail.
    I used to have Verizon and never had any problems with coverage. I switched to Sprint for the Pre and have occasionally experienced what thekarens describes when roaming with slower data speeds and calls going straight to voicemail. For me, the problems have not been significant enough to go back to the higher-priced Verizon.
    I have had zero problems with Sprint in the past 3 years. I have moved from NY to FL to PA, and have had great coverage everywhere. I also have gone on vacations to CA and parts of FL, and once again have had wonderful coverage. I can't honestly remember the last time I had a dropped call.. I think it might have been when I was still on Nextel to be honest (before their merger with Sprint). So I would say Sprint all the way!
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Even though Sprint can and does roam on Verizon it's at very slow speeds (for me 1x) and you won't be doing any or very little data while you're roaming.
    That's not always true. You can indeed get EVDO roaming in some VZW areas that used to be Alltel.
    I would start with sprint with the 30 day trial and see how it works out for you. If you feel the coverage is subpar, you can return and switch to verizon. Everyone says verizon is better, but whenever I travel I have no problem whatsoever with sprint in the major cities.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    It depends on where you travel. If you're traveling to major cities, then I'll go with sprint. Coverages in majors cities seem to be on par with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by olidie View Post
    It depends on where you travel. If you're traveling to major cities, then I'll go with sprint. Coverages in majors cities seem to be on par with Verizon.
    Out in the boonies (supposedly) of Central Texas, Verizon doesn't work at all. But Sprint has 3g and 4g
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I've been on Sprint for years and never had a problem with coverage in major cities or on major highways. I have problems in the boondocks of Oklahoma but it seems Sprint has the best coverage there anyway. I can not say how coverage is in subways since I have only used bus or no-tunnel light-rail. To be clear these are the major cities: St. Louis, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, and Phoenix (and the surrounding metro areas of these cities). To be more clear, I have had roaming turned off on every phone but the Pre because I was unaware of the Verizon agreement (so in every city but Phoenix I was Sprint only).
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    If you look at total coverage, then Verizon probably has the edge. But Sprint is also very good for coverage, and has better prices. I don't travel a whole lot, but for what I do travel I've found Sprint coverage to be very good.

Seems to be a lot of Sprint loyalists in here . Hopefully other people will eventually catch on to the good service and prices they're offering.
    Quote Originally Posted by twizardt View Post
    I take serious issue with this statement. I have been all over the country and have never had an issue with Sprint. I'm not saying that they are perfect everywhere, but I have never had a problem with them.
    Doesn't matter whether you take issue with it or not, facts are facts. If you look at Verizon's coverage area and Sprint's Verizon wins. It's not a matter of opinion.

Even though that's true I'm still a Sprint customer and will stay one, but the OP needs to know both sides. I think the idea of trying Sprint out for a month is a great idea and will give a good idea of how the coverage will be for them in their situation.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    i find the free mobile to mobile (any carrier) on sprint to be the best deal in cell phones. cheaper then att and verizon, and I have never had a "real bad coverage" type situation, and ive traveled throughout the country...

get unlimited roaming and its like being on both
    Sprint has unlimited roaming on all Everything Data plans and the Simply Everything plan. You don't need to pay any more, and you couldn't, even if you wanted to for some odd reason. International roaming is a different ball of wax.

I haven't been out west to Seattle or something, but where I have gone, Sprint has done better than the Verizon phones my coworkers and friends use. Up here in the boonies of New England, I've got service, albeit just a bar, maybe two, in areas Verizon can't even touch. Been very happy with Sprint in the last nine years I've had them

Plus, they're cheap. Can't argue with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    Sprint's frequency doesn't penetrate buildings as well as Verizon. a specific example to me is one of the local malls. Verizon would always be full on EVDO, whereas Sprint is constantly trying to roam or gets no signal at all.
    Umm... Last time I checked, Sprint uses the same exact frequencies that Verizon uses. One of the reasons that roaming on Verizon is even possible.

And if Verizon can magically penetrate thru walls that Sprint can't (i.e. - their towers were the same distance away from said building)... there's nothing stopping you from being able to use Verizon's network while in that building.

Doesn't matter whether you take issue with it or not, facts are facts.
    Correct.

If you look at Verizon's coverage area and Sprint's Verizon wins. It's not a matter of opinion.
    Now, here you are implying that Verizon's own map is completely factual. How do you know this?

Verizon has my ex-girlfriend's house lit up... but I know for a fact that my Treo 755p would work there, where several Verizon phones did not. I think this was more than likely to do with the VERY STRONG radio in the 755p. People rarely take into account the cellular radio built into their phone... because with the 755p, my calls were only ever dropped when at the bottom of a hill, like everybody else's CDMA [and usually even GSM] phones.

Even though that's true I'm still a Sprint customer and will stay one, but the OP needs to know both sides. I think the idea of trying Sprint out for a month is a great idea and will give a good idea of how the coverage will be for them in their situation.
    Correct. Try Sprint first. If it doesn't work where you need it most, then go with Verizon. But as several people have said above, we have driven across the country many times over without problems. Sprint works GREAT all over the Southeast.

And even if it doesn't work GREAT, I can roam on Verizon for FREE!!

Too many factors come into play, but I'm with Sprint until the end.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast