Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    like fwinst, i have been all over the country, and have been with sprint many years. I've only had little to no coverage in rural areas, however 9 out of 10 times i still had roaming coverage. I think your gonna find that they all pretty much have no coverage in the same areas, and thats mostly in the northwest rural areas.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Who wouldn't choose Verizon over Sprint? The only reason that most people are even with Sprint is because they are so concerned with having the cheapest possible price that nothing else matters. Price seems to be the only advantage that Sprint has over Verizon and I don't even see it as an advantage because you are getting a much better product with Verizon which more than justifies the price difference.....
    Just to clear things up about the differences between VZW and Sprint (and yes, I use both on a regular basis)

1) Having Sprint is not anywhere close to the same as having access to the Verizon and Sprint network. Unless you have a hack to force your phone to roam, your Sprint phone will hold on to an unusable Sprint signal before switching to roaming which not only causes many dropped calls and miss calls but also significant battery drain. Also, if you are on a call when you transition from a native to roaming area, your phone will drop.

2) You can't rely on roaming with Sprint too much because they have a very limited policy with roaming and will cancel your service if you roam too much. Verizon does not care how much you roam but chances are you won't need to roam too much since their native coverage is massive.

3) Verizon has MUCH more 3G coverage than Sprint (which is very important when you are using a smartphone) and you won't have 3G data roaming with Sprint unless you happen to be an an old Alltel area where they had a 3G roaming agreement. Sprint still has big areas where they haven't even converted their own network from 1X to 3G... and a recent study showed that on average, Verizon's 3G speeds were faster than Sprint's

4) Sprint generally has acceptable to good coverage in BIG cities and on major highways but once you venture off a big city or major highway your service will severely degrade.

5) Verizon does have much more native coverage than Sprint and its not an opinion it's a fact (like someone else said) and just for comparison.... here is Verizon and Sprint's native coverage maps.....(Verizon = Purple... Sprint = Green)

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris4434 View Post
    2) You can't rely on roaming with Sprint too much because they have a very limited policy with roaming and will cancel your service if you roam too much.
    Yes, you can rely on roaming with Sprint if you use it as it's intended; as a temporary solution when you delve out of native coverage. No, they aren't going to let someone permanently roam, but their policy isn't overly restrictive as you try to imply. A person generally has to abuse the privilege before they're booted (sans ETF).

3) Verizon has MUCH more 3G coverage than Sprint (which is very important when you are using a smartphone) and you won't have 3G data roaming with Sprint unless you happen to be an an old Alltel area where they had a 3G roaming agreement.
    Though you seem to want to minimize it, there is a significant amount of 3G roaming in former Alltel areas.

Sprint still has big areas where they haven't even converted their own network from 1X to 3G...
    They've been lighting 3G in former affiliate areas since the beginning of the year and have said they will continue to do so throughout the year. While you try to denigrate their network, Sprint has the second largest 3G network in the nation. And fwiw, VZW's network isn't 100% 3G yet either.

and a recent study showed that on average, Verizon's 3G speeds were faster than Sprint's
    That same study also showed Sprint's 3G network, on average, was more reliable than VZW's.....

4) Sprint generally has acceptable to good coverage in BIG cities and on major highways but once you venture off a big city or major highway your service will severely degrade.
    A blanket statement which isn't always true.

5) Verizon does have much more native coverage than Sprint and its not an opinion it's a fact
    Be that as it may, what's actually important is where the end user plans to use their service. If someone, for example, uses their phone in LA or NYC the majority of the time, why should they care if VZW has native coverage in BFE, Montana? Especially since they can roam there if the need arises...
    I've used verizon and sprint. Sprint is as good or better in almost ever category listed above. The fact that they are vastly cheaper makes it a no-brainer.

The only people I know on verizon either get it free from employers or live way out in the boonies. No educated person is usually willingly on verizon that I have met.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawvega View Post
    Yes, you can rely on roaming with Sprint if you use it as it's intended; as a temporary solution when you delve out of native coverage. No, they aren't going to let someone permanently roam, but their policy isn't overly restrictive as you try to imply. A person generally has to abuse the privilege before they're booted (sans ETF).

Though you seem to want to minimize it, there is a significant amount of 3G roaming in former Alltel areas.

They've been lighting 3G in former affiliate areas since the beginning of the year and have said they will continue to do so throughout the year. While you try to denigrate their network, Sprint has the second largest 3G network in the nation. And fwiw, VZW's network isn't 100% 3G yet either.

That same study also showed Sprint's 3G network, on average, was more reliable than VZW's.....

A blanket statement which isn't always true.

Be that as it may, what's actually important is where the end user plans to use their service. If someone, for example, uses their phone in LA or NYC the majority of the time, why should they care if VZW has native coverage in BFE, Montana? Especially since they can roam there if the need arises...
    The OP asked about nationwide coverage and reliability which means they aren't just interested in NYC or LA and probably frequently travel to many areas. That alone would be reason enough to choose Verizon over Sprint esp. considering Sprint's roaming policy....
    I'm not sure why people automatically assume that Montana and places like that are the only "rural" areas in America because Sprint doesn't have any interest in covering many suburbs outside major cities much less the most extreme example of a rural area you can think of like Montana.... and with that being said... Verizon has the advantage in many of these big cities simply because they use 800 mhz in many areas and Sprint solely uses 1900 mhz. Where I live, Sprint has already rolled out 4G service, but they still don't even have as much basic voice coverage in the city as all the other carriers (even Metro PCS)

Oh and if people are so interested in saving a buck then they should look at Page Plus... you get UL Talk, UL Text, and some 3G data for $40 a month which is much cheaper than Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile ... and they use Verizons network.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I had dropped calls and bad reception at my home with the Pre on Sprint. I switched to the Pixi Plus on Verizon and reception at home is now perfect with no dropped calls.

Sprint is cheaper for most people, but for me and others who are the only ones on a family plan that need data Verizon is actually cheaper. Sprint forces everyone in the family plan to pay for data. Of course, if you have a family plan where everybody wants unlimited data and SMS Sprint would be much cheaper.

YMMV. If the pricing is close there is no reason not to go with Verizon.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    The OP asked about nationwide coverage and reliability which means they aren't just interested in NYC or LA and probably frequently travel to many areas. That alone would be reason enough to choose Verizon over Sprint esp. considering Sprint's roaming policy....
    There's nothing wrong with their roaming policy. Do you even know what it is?

Where I live, Sprint has already rolled out 4G service, but they still don't even have as much basic voice coverage in the city as all the other carriers (even Metro PCS)
    And where I live Sprint is easily on par with VZW as well as having 4G. Everything hinges upon where the end user plans to use the service.

Oh and if people are so interested in saving a buck then they should look at Page Plus...
    No, they probably shouldn't...

On Eve of CTIA, Cracks in Page Plus Cellular Reach Critical Mass | PhoneNews.com
    I'm not sure why people automatically assume that Montana and places like that are the only "rural" areas in America because Sprint doesn't have any interest in covering many suburbs outside major cities much less the most extreme example of a rural area you can think of like Montana.... and with that being said... Verizon has the advantage in many of these big cities simply because they use 800 mhz in many areas and Sprint solely uses 1900 mhz. Where I live, Sprint has already rolled out 4G service, but they still don't even have as much basic voice coverage in the city as all the other carriers (even Metro PCS)

Oh and if people are so interested in saving a buck then they should look at Page Plus... you get UL Talk, UL Text, and some 3G data for $40 a month which is much cheaper than Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile ... and they use Verizons network.
    Your blanket statements are totally off base for some people. In my area, Sprint actually has the strongest signal for me and I've had everyone but Metro PCS and T-Mobile. My girlfriend is on Verizon and her coverage isn't too hot in our rural area(San Pablo Dam Road in Richmond, if you're wondering), but I haven't dropped a call at all. In fact, its 3G the entire way! So, sure Verizon has more "nationwide" coverage, but from my travels around California, and parts of Nevada, I have yet to hit a place I don't have coverage.

Sure though, there is that place where you drop out of coverage, and I haven't had an issue roaming either! Sure its 1X, but hey, better than nothing! And I have extra savings in my pocket. Granted, I'm on a family plan where everyone uses data, so Sprint is an excellent deal for me. For people who don't use data on a family plan? Not so much, depending. But for individuals, Sprint's got the best deal in town.

OP, I'd go give Sprint a go. You don't like it, cancel within your 30 day grace period and head over to VZW. Never hurts to try the cheaper, and usually equally sufficient alternative right? At the end of the day, you're only trying to save some cash if you can!
    As much as I say my coverage as perfect... no one can truly know for themselves unless they try it first. The trial period is free. Don't like it still within 30 days... take it back.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    There's nothing wrong with their roaming policy. Do you even know what it is?

And where I live Sprint is easily on par with VZW as well as having 4G. Everything hinges upon where the end user plans to use the service.

No, they probably shouldn't...

On Eve of CTIA, Cracks in Page Plus Cellular Reach Critical Mass | PhoneNews.com
    ... using a majority of minutes or 800 (depending on what is greater) per month and using a majority or 300 mb of data is very restrictive for someone like me who uses 3000+ mins per month and 2+ gigabytes of data on average..... Sprint should have a roaming policy that is equal to your plan (ex: if you have 1000 minutes then you can roam for up to 1000 minutes or if you have unlimited data then you can use unlimited data while roaming) AT&T also has a very restrictive roaming policy but they also don't rely so heavily on roaming to boost their nationwide coverage like Sprint does
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    ... using a majority of minutes or 800 (depending on what is greater) per month and using a majority or 300 mb of data is very restrictive for someone like me who uses 3000+ mins per month and 2+ gigabytes of data on average.....
    That's you...Another person, dare I say, *most* people won't find the roaming policy restrictive. Again roaming is meant to be used as a temporary fix, not a full-time solution. And if you read other popular cell phone sites, you should already know that people generally don't get terminated for a one-time infraction. It's the users that abuse the privilege for consecutive months that catch heat. Heaven forbid a company put controls in place to try and help them turn a profit.

AT&T also has a very restrictive roaming policy but they also don't rely so heavily on roaming to boost their nationwide coverage like Sprint does
    Do tell...

Let's not pretend there's isn't a good deal of partner coverage with at&t as well. And they have less 3G coverage than Sprint.

Query: Since you seem to be such a hater of Sprint, why do you use them on a "regular basis"?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    That's you...Another person, dare I say, *most* people won't find the roaming policy restrictive. Again roaming is meant to be used as a temporary fix, not a full-time solution. And if you read other popular cell phone sites, you should already know that people generally don't get terminated for a one-time infraction. It's the users that abuse the privilege for consecutive months that catch heat. Heaven forbid a company put controls in place to try and help them turn a profit.

Do tell...

Let's not pretend there's isn't a good deal of partner coverage with at&t as well. And they have less 3G coverage than Sprint.

Query: Since you seem to be such a hater of Sprint, why do you use them on a "regular basis"?
    AT&T does have much less 3G coverage.. which is a big problem (and why I switched from AT&T and the iPhone to Verizon and eventually the Pre Plus) and they do rely on roaming coverage .. never said they didnt but just not as much as Sprint.. they really only rely heavily on roaming in the west but that will soon change because of the Alltel areas they acquired. I have a Sprint phone for work... I don't choose to use them for my personal line and never would unless they addressed some major issues.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint phone for work... I don't choose to use them for my personal line and never would unless they addressed some major issues.
    Fair enough...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I think you've already answered your question. There is no doubt that Verizon has the better coverage, but Sprint has the better price. You have to decide which is more important. Even though Sprint can and does roam on Verizon it's at very slow speeds (for me 1x) and you won't be doing any or very little data while you're roaming. The other problem I've encountered is when I'm roaming calls go straight to voice mail. For me price was most important so I stuck with Sprint, but if I "had to have" the coverage I definitely would have gone with Verizon.
    Im in the Dallas area and surprising I was down South in the the woods and I had no Sprint service but clicked over to roaming, and turned on data roaming, and it will usually only be 1x speeds but it showed EV next to roaming and it was going just as fast as normal. So for me, I can get 3g speeds while roaming, and I get all calls just as well on roaming. It might just be the area who knows?

-Chill

3) Verizon has MUCH more 3G coverage than Sprint (which is very important when you are using a smartphone) and you won't have 3G data roaming with Sprint unless you happen to be an an old Alltel area where they had a 3G roaming agreement. Sprint still has big areas where they haven't even converted their own network from 1X to 3G... and a recent study showed that on average, Verizon's 3G speeds were faster than Sprint's

3) Verizon also has huge areas of NO SERVICE at all.
    4)Circle on my map shows where I live, and many others, and Verizon is the local phone monopoly, but won't put towers, lazy bums.

I was more than generous with my little area marked off there, it could have been much larger as their own map shows.

This is a very popular tourist area in TX as well, for fall/spring bluebonnets and leaves, and for biking long distance races.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    AT&T does have much less 3G coverage.. which is a big problem (and why I switched from AT&T and the iPhone to Verizon and eventually the Pre Plus) and they do rely on roaming coverage .. never said they didnt but just not as much as Sprint.. they really only rely heavily on roaming in the west but that will soon change because of the Alltel areas they acquired. I have a Sprint phone for work... I don't choose to use them for my personal line and never would unless they addressed some major issues.

Alltel is/was CDMA, Verizon simply shed the customers, ATT won't have any immediate benefit as they have to move everything to GSM, including those customers who may just cancel and move right back to Verizon on their own.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    I was on the same boat as you OP. i tried Sprint as it has the 30 days policy and have not regret it one bit. Customer service and reception has been great. Much better rate plans on Sprint is also a plus!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123