Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Umm... Last time I checked, Sprint uses the same exact frequencies that Verizon uses. One of the reasons that roaming on Verizon is even possible.
    Umm...check again.

And if Verizon can magically penetrate thru walls that Sprint can't (i.e. - their towers were the same distance away from said building)... there's nothing stopping you from being able to use Verizon's network while in that building.
    it's not magic, it's physics.

Sprint doesn't have the 800MHz band. lower frequency. further spread out spectrum. deeper penetration.
    Like others have said, depends on where you live/work/travel. I get service on Sprint from Orlando to Atlanta to Chatanooga Tn to DC to NW Iowa in farmland and hardly a problem. The cost factor, the service, the plans, being able to roam on Verizons Network all point to Sprint being the best provider for me....But to each his own. I've been with Sprint going on 12 years and they just keep getting better. I can't wait for 4G in Orlando, I don't need it. I just want it!!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    Umm...check again.

it's not magic, it's physics.

Sprint doesn't have the 800MHz band. lower frequency. further spread out spectrum. deeper penetration.
    Right, but the phones are capable of roaming on 800mhz. I think that's where people get confused, they're seeing dual band phones, but Sprint only uses one of those bands. 1900mhz is technically classified as the PCS band. Just in case you're wondering why it's been historically called "Sprint PCS". 800/850 is the cellular band.

FWIW, I have zero problems inside all but the chunkiest cement buildings. Even buried in the hospital here I get good reception.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/21/2010 at 06:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Right, but the phones are capable of roaming on 800mhz. I think that's where people get confused, they're seeing dual band phones, but Sprint only uses one of those bands. 1900mhz is technically classified as the PCS band. Just in case you're wondering why it's been historically called "Sprint PCS". 800/850 is the cellular band.

FWIW, I have zero problems inside all but the chunkiest cement buildings. Even buried in the hospital here I get good reception.
    Right. i dunno why the guy wants to jump all over this. i said my Sprint phone is always roaming or trying to roam versus the Verizon one. Native frequency support is going to be far more reliable than trying to piggy back onto a roaming signal.

regardless, why would i lie about my reception in a mall?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I was a former verizon customer up until last june or july.
    after years with verizon, I grew fed up with high prices and apathy in regards towards customer loyalty programs.
    I experienced several plan and policy changes which verizon was not forthcoming in explaining towards me.
    (in fact, my contract was extended by a year due to some fineprint they are ever so skilled at making sure you neither notice or forewarned of.)

they also continue to spam with email though I have repeatedly added their address to a filter and even completed the manual opt-out method.

I enjoy the luxury of living in a major city (new york) and sprint coverage has always been admirable on long island and the rest of the state.

I've not noticed inferior service or an increase in dropped calls.
    I will also state data speeds seem faster on the sprint network, though your mileage may vary.

though sprint may have its faults, they are also more receptive to customer issues and have always resolved any that I have had.

really, verizon has 30 million more subscribers than sprint. in the grand scheme of things, your dollar is worth more to sprint and the care they take in ensuring your satisfaction and loyalty shows.
    I have never had a single signal issue on sprint and I don't mean just at my home, I have been in Cali, Nevada, Michigan, Paris & Italy and have had enough reception for decent signal in talking and for 3G internet speed. I have only seen the 1x icon on my Palm Pre one time and that was in the Sprint store when I first bought it and was in the store setting it up.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    facts are facts. If you look at Verizon's coverage area and Sprint's Verizon wins. It's not a matter of opinion.
    I mean no disrespect, but you are kidding right? Fact? Whose fact book, Verizon's?....Please

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    mot long ago I carried 3 phoness around the country to see who had coverage where I needed it. I had verizon, at and t, and sprint.

in every city, major airport, and driving around - verizon won easily. For travelerss like me, verizon iss the choice. Sprint is cheaper. Verizon has better coverage.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I travel on the east coast and west coast and have never had a problem with sprint coverage...
    I need Mr Can you Hear me Now to visit me....he'd be asking for my sprint phone in a few minutes, then ahh yes changed to sprint, I CAN hear you now.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    The only dropped calls I have had in the 6 years with Sprint all seem to be with Iphone users. Hmmmmm? Doubt it is Sprint.

As for Verizon, my outlaws all have Big Red and need to use my phone often on trips to Grand Targhee & Yellowstone for skiing & snowmobiling, due to lack of coverage. However, this will change because both areas were covered with Alltel and Big Red bought Alltel. All in all I think the talk of Big Red having better coverage is exaggerated a bit. I have no proof of this... just guessing.
    Haven't had an issue with Sprint in my year of service of them. Traveled up and down California, and it's been solid. Excellent price too. Don't see leaving Sprint for a long time, if ever.
  13.    #33  
    I think I got my answer which is to go with Sprint, since its like having 2 networks which in my opinion makes Sprint a more reliable network, so thanks guys for the help BTW just picked up my pre, ITS AMAZING!! I like it better than my previous G1 on t-mobiles crappy network and a bit better than the iphone 3G which I had before t-mobile, gah..... having an iPhone sucks on att's network. Overall Im in Love with the pre
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Like others have said, depends on where you live/work/travel. I get service on Sprint from Orlando to Atlanta to Chatanooga Tn to DC to NW Iowa in farmland and hardly a problem. The cost factor, the service, the plans, being able to roam on Verizons Network all point to Sprint being the best provider for me....But to each his own. I've been with Sprint going on 12 years and they just keep getting better. I can't wait for 4G in Orlando, I don't need it. I just want it!!
    u mean Orlando, fl
    I'm on Sprint and I recently got a flier from Verizon with their pricing.

My wife and I have a Family plan (2 lines) and both have data. The price of a similar setup on Verizon would be $80 more per month. Sprint's pricing just can't be beat.

I know Verizon has better coverage overall but we experience few coverage problems.
    i also been wit sprint 11 yrs n ive even travel to Puerto Rico anywhere in th island n i never had a problem, so ive never seen a problem wit sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Legend View Post
    I think I got my answer which is to go with Sprint, since its like having 2 networks which in my opinion makes Sprint a more reliable network, so thanks guys for the help BTW just picked up my pre, ITS AMAZING!! I like it better than my previous G1 on t-mobiles crappy network and a bit better than the iphone 3G which I had before t-mobile, gah..... having an iPhone sucks on att's network. Overall Im in Love with the pre
    Good choice! WebOs is amazing and it seems to grow on you. I have one app. that I use on Sundays which is not available on the Pre yet, and it is currently being used on the Itouch. This app. would be killer with the multi-tasking..... Once you have used the Pre it is hard to use anything other than the Pre. I think you will be very happy with Sprint coming from T-mo...
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    Sprint's frequency doesn't penetrate buildings as well as Verizon. a specific example to me is one of the local malls. Verizon would always be full on EVDO, whereas Sprint is constantly trying to roam or gets no signal at all.

also, as far as subways go, i know Chicago has agreements in place where Sprint won't work at all in the subway's even though they have an exclusive agreement with Verizon and AT&T.
    I think you are right about the signal not penetrating buildings very well. I travel to the Dallas area and everytime I am there I would have a great signal on the street but as soon as I step inside a bar or a building I start roaming, now I know why.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I have driven across country multiple times (from Minnesota to Corpus Christi, Texas, and from L.A. to N.Y. I've never had an issue with my Sprint service. There have only been a couple of times in the high desert of CA that I have lost service for more than a few minutes.

I've been with Sprint for 10 years, and I believe they are the best deal around.
    I switched to Sprint for the Pre last fall. While occasionally I have some problems inside buildings, it's not really an issue. I travel 5 or 6 times per year, and have not found anywhere I couldn't use Sprint. Add in the savings (I'm paying Sprint about what I paid Verizon for voice only (700 shared minutes per month) for unlimited data, text, and 1400 shared minutes per month) add in the unlimited mobile to mobile, and Sprint is a much better deal. Bottom line, try it yourself. If you don't like it, take it back within the first 30 days. I was happy with Verizon's service too, but the rates at Sprint are much better.
    da1Bear

Click to see my Virtual Business card

Palm Pre on Sprint
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast