View Poll Results: What are you sucessfully using on a Sprint ver 1.4 Pre?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • MyTether

68 57.14%
  • FreeTether

14 11.76%
  • Mobile Hot Spot

18 15.13%
  • Mobile Hot Spot & FreeTether (or other combo, pls specify)

19 15.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the record, I do know where the search button is! But when you search on this topic there are hundreds of posts, almost as many opinions, and no real resolution that points to a post 1.4 update.

So... I'll ask the question as straight forward as possible....

What is the best option available for wifi tethering on a Sprint 1.4 Pre?
    By best I mean least complicated, least likely to cause conflicts. Cost isn't a huge factor. I'm not afraid to root, but would like to avoid issues if at all possible. I'm currently running around 40 patches and 50 apps... so I'd like them all to play nicely.

What is actually working out there?
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    I've been using mytether since 1.4 and it works great.
    I just installed MyTether yesterday and I am thrilled at the results. Tried it on a laptop and a netbook and both were up and running very quickly.

It will be perfect for my upcoming trips.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    do you have to be in 3g coverage for it to work?
    I would like mobile hotspot...would I have to go back to 1.3.5.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    Did you not read the posts above yours? No, you do not - 1.4 works with MyTether....
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    yes, since the last update 1.4 mobile hotspot is broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAlex1992 View Post
    Did you not read the posts above yours? No, you do not - 1.4 works with MyTether....

ummm..did YOU not read my question or lack some comprehension skills...i asked about mobile hotspot working with 1.4 not mytether...
    My apologies. I assumed you meant MyTether like all of the posts before yours. Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAlex1992 View Post
    My apologies. I assumed you meant MyTether like all of the posts before yours. Sorry about that.
    haha it's all good. We all fam here
    I agree with the original question - I had Mobile Hotspot working, but 1.4 broke.
    I decided to spend the money, get mytether and not fool around with fixing everything.

Have NOT yet been able to log onto forum, download 2.1 or anything yet.
    Searches have not helped, so I am VERY disappointed in having waited, contemplated, donated, and getting nothing but "Warning mysquli_connect"

If anyone has any helpful hints, I would appreciate and gladly thank. I too have searched, but now very frustrated.
    why can't I download via app cato or preware?
    If any of you have ever noticed that your 3G/1X drops (comes back for a second and then leaves again) on your phone everytime you turn on MyTether try this:

1.Call your voice mail
    2.In a new card open up MyTether
    3.Connect your device-i.e. iPod, Netbook
    4.WAIT for your device to show up in the MyTether list
    5.Once it does, end voicemail call

You should have a successful 3G/1X icon and myTether enabled

This is for the Pre Plus
    I am giving up on mytether, finally got on mytether forum, read everything there, read everything I could find on PreCentral. Downloaded, tweaked, deleted, reloaded, screwed and finangled for at least 8 hours.
    It broke my laptop's normal internet connection thru manipulations, broke WebOS, and had my Pre doing unnormal things, worried about having to doctor.

Basically, I am not happy, having paid. There is a lot of advise out there, but none I have read worked for me. I would like to ask for my $15 back since it is unusable, but I'm sure that will not happen. I'm just trying to justify it helped pay for those that were able to get it to work.

Times aren't easy, wish the money had gone to Jason who does incredible amounts of work and keeps so many things running.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    I am giving up on mytether, finally got on mytether forum, read everything there, read everything I could find on PreCentral. Downloaded, tweaked, deleted, reloaded, screwed and finangled for at least 8 hours.
    It broke my laptop's normal internet connection thru manipulations, broke WebOS, and had my Pre doing unnormal things, worried about having to doctor.

Basically, I am not happy, having paid. There is a lot of advise out there, but none I have read worked for me. I would like to ask for my $15 back since it is unusable, but I'm sure that will not happen. I'm just trying to justify it helped pay for those that were able to get it to work.

Times aren't easy, wish the money had gone to Jason who does incredible amounts of work and keeps so many things running.
    I agree
    does anyone know where i can find the freetether app. I have searched a thousand times and still no luck.
    I've tried MyTether (donated) and FreeTether. I much prefer FreeTether.

Although it worked relatively well at first, MyTether became a hassle and eventually quit working. FreeTether was VERY easy to set up and worked great right from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    I've tried MyTether (donated) and FreeTether. I much prefer FreeTether.

Although it worked relatively well at first, MyTether became a hassle and eventually quit working. FreeTether was VERY easy to set up and worked great right from the start.
    Does FreeTether work on webOS 1.4? If yes, where can I find it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    Does FreeTether work on webOS 1.4? If yes, where can I find it?
    Depends on what your definition of "work" is.

I use it just fine, but I am only interested in USB tethering -- works just find. I've also heard some are able to get BlueTooth tethering to work with it. But, it does not do "hotspot" wifi tethering.

freeTether and freeTetherD are available via Preware in the webOS Internals feed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast