1.    #1  
    This is sort of an old article, but i just wanted to share it again. First, i read this and i was like "WOW", then i thought about it over again and i was like "OH". When you think about it, every phone with a GPS tracker installed in it actually does it. Even the iDumbs. And i visited Mr. Hess's little stupid "Blog" and guess what was so entertaining about his RSS feed...Mr. Hess is complaining about how he had a debian partition was eradicated by a WebOs update and his phone info was further complicated, thereby leaving his phone device completely dead. I find this extremely hilarious because Mr. Hess blames Palm for the update that totally "screwed up" his Pre. (Joey's logs)

Every cellphone with a GPS tracks your Mr. Joey Hess. An iPhone tracks you, hell, even your GPS tracks you, depending on who's doing the "tracking". Websites "track" you. A website collects more information about you than you actually know. So, before people complain and blame Palm, they could easily just stop trying to "customize" their phones. When you patch your phone, you take chances on totally corrupting the software temporarily or even permanently. So the choice is your. You can comeback to the forum and ask for help, but please do not come here and bash Palm for something that you did all by yourself. You are only allowed to bash Palm if you havent patched your phone or if you dont have any third party softwares installed. I love my Pre. I understand that when i patch my phone, i put myself in danger of losing all my info stored in the phone, but i'll live to see another day after i run WebOs Doctor or read the instructions to unbrick my so called "bricked" phone.

The Palm Pre phone knows where you are, and it's secretly giving out that information. On a daily basis, according to a software developer.

Joey Hess, who lives on the East Coast and works on a Linux-based operating system, noticed something odd about his Palm Pre phone. He was checking over computer logs he created to track the phone's system and he discovered that the Pre was uploading its GPS location to Palm Inc. once a day.

Almost all cellphones have GPS chips, partly so that they can be used for functions like car navigation, and more importantly so they can locate the user in case of emergency.

But Hess was not having an emergency every day. And he was not being notified that his location was being transmitted to the company. Also, Palm was uploading a record of many of the applications, such as messaging, he was using.

Palm didn't deny it was getting the information. In a brief, vague press statement, the company said its privacy policy "includes very detailed language about potential scenarios in which we might use a customer's information, all toward a goal of offering a great user experience."

The company's privacy policy runs to 1,675 words, and it's not clear if GPS monitoring was considered part of "a great user experience."

Possibly that experience includes some sort of advertising or promotional venture.

In any case, Palm also said in the statement, "We appreciate the trust that users give us with their information, and have no intention to violate that trust."

Hess was not so trusting. He found a way to program the phone to stop uploading the info.

-- David Colker
    Last edited by Jason Black; 03/21/2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: changed title
    Its true that every cellphone (smart, dumb, whatever) is tracked by the cellphone network and that information is accessible by law enforcement. Not all smartphones transmit location information to the HQ of the company that built them though.
    Um, there's an option right on the phone for this. Sounds like the guy had the Google location services thing on.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneecaps View Post
    Um, there's an option right on the phone for this. Sounds like the guy had the Google location services thing on.
    No...HQ gets his location. HQ = Palm, not google. Of course google knows where you are too and how you got there, right after you active google services with your GPS. Its not like Palm or google is plotting to kill me or im some kind of a fugitive. But its still a violation. Thinking about it, you agreed to it in that privacy terms and conditions that your did read because it was too long...
    Sounds Like ...... Skynet..LOL
    I don't care if Palm know where I am, maybe Rubenstein is stalking all of us :0
    OH NO PALM'S "THE MAN" NOW!!!

Who cares if Palm knows what address you go to from time to time? They already have all your contacts' details stored on their servers.
    Well if it's any indication how accurate my location is based on that app "Where's My Car", I have nothing to worry about seeing how it's always off by like 200 meters.
    Yeah according to Google Maps I am about 2 blocks away from my house right now...
  10.    #10  
    Google maps actually maps me all the way up the street from my house lol, but im happy its still "around the area" lol.
    Google maps doesn't have me pin-pointed but GPSDashboard (free version) gets my exact address. Yipes!!
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its true that every cellphone (smart, dumb, whatever) is tracked by the cellphone network and that information is accessible by law enforcement.
    Absolutely. So if you ever decide to do something unlawful while away from home, you better remember to forget the phone. .... which is damn near impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not all smartphones transmit location information to the HQ of the company that built them though.
    Orly? What mobile OS does *not* submit locale information to said mobileOS' headquarters? At least, when it comes to "advanced smartphones"?
    Dont be where you are not supposed to be and there is no problem!

I mean palm is not the government its a small tech company! Really If you think you are being watched by PALM? then you need a Dr. because you are paranoid!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.