Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After I got the 1.4 update on my phone (using webos dr.) the phone got even more sluggish, and the battry usage was rediculous, and it began doing silly things like backspace didn't work when option button was activated.
    I've never used the backup service for anything ( my data is online: gmail, fb, etc., so no use in that.
    However afew days ago I decided to try something I haven't done before, in order to try and rectify my issues, so here is what I did to get a fast responsive, and the battery to last min 24 hours, with gps, wifi and phone turned on:
    1)I wanted to make absolutely sure that *nothing* from this place could mess with the phone, from earlier accidental backup's. By changing the e-mail account to something different(use a fake 1), I can get create a new profile during the activation, Go to palm's "manage my device" page (https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface), login, change the email information to whatever.
    2)Do a Secure format: "Device info">"Reset options">"Full erase">"Secure Full Erase". It's gonna take a few minutes to do this. You should consider plugging in the power adapter just to make sure.
    3)Upon profile creation/login, choose to create a new profile with the original mail adress. You should be allowed, because you changed the mail adress earlier.
    4)Your phone should now be the best it can be, mine has *never* been better :0)

All my errors on the phone disappeared, so they most have been embedded in the backup ???
    WebOS still makes sense.
    This sounds like a can of crap...
  3.    #3  
    You can of course *think* what you want to. But you won't *know* until you tried. It worked for me, it might not work for you, and maybe for someone else.
    If you're happy with your phone, leave it as it is, if not, try this solution. It's safe, and it's quick.
    Last edited by karstenskov; 03/21/2010 at 08:53 AM.
    WebOS still makes sense.
    What if you have paid apps? Will you be able to load them back or they are tied to the old profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by kqnjml View Post
    What if you have paid apps? Will you be able to load them back or they are tied to the old profile?
    Nope, you will not be able to load them back with your "new" profile. Unless you're able to contact Palm and convince them one way or the other that the other profile is yours, which should be relatively easy. Why do all that when you can get the same effect by just doctoring your phone.....Its beyond me.
    yeah, that's what I thought. May worth a try if you have no apps and not use palm contacts.
    i had the same situation with a corrupt profile. It made a world of difference. The downside is paid applications will be lost, palm had no mercy to help recover the old apps
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalez2066 View Post
    i had the same situation with a corrupt profile. It made a world of difference. The downside is paid applications will be lost, palm had no mercy to help recover the old apps
    Yeah...You had to do what you had to do
    I understand, but doing this just to make your phone faster doesnt quite sound like a great idea.
    You can also do this without the secure full erase and it still works fine. Just turn off backups and do a full erase and the phone won't start reloading apps when you reformat it. It really does make your phone alot faster, but it goes back to the same stuff again after a few days.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Yeah...You had to do what you had to do
    I understand, but doing this just to make your phone faster doesnt quite sound like a great idea.
    It didn't just make my phone quicker, it also eliminated som strange errors, like the one with no backspace...And slugishness?? Gone !
    when a os start behaving badly - like the webos on my phone did - it's because something is wrong, right ? I've tried webos dr., etc. to no avail, because the errors I experienced wasn't corrected using the tools we have. the key to my work around seems to be that you start up with a fresh, new profile, after cleaning the phone.
    We're told that the device backup Palm supplies only backs up data/information, however that doesn't seem quite accurate, when errors can disappear, and the phone seems to work more effortless.

Whether it's a great idea or not, I will/can not judge. All I can say is that it worked for me, where nothing else did much good, and I wanted to share this with the community. All I can say is that I loved my phone before, now it just got better.
    So if you've tried everything else and that didn't work, then try this, and why not ?
    Last edited by karstenskov; 03/21/2010 at 01:06 PM.
    WebOS still makes sense.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    You can also do this without the secure full erase and it still works fine. Just turn off backups and do a full erase and the phone won't start reloading apps when you reformat it. It really does make your phone alot faster, but it goes back to the same stuff again after a few days.
    tried disabling the backup, right after the phone was doctored, I had the same issues. I even inherited some issues from 1.3.5.2 => 1.4.0 that way. They disappeared totally after doing the workaround.
    WebOS still makes sense.
    There was also a "fix" posted awhile back revolving around turning off background removing backup data. After I did that, I had a faster Pre, fewer memory issues, and even a little better battery life.

It's been mentioned in a few threads by those who seem to know something that Palm is working on some bugs to be fixed in an upcoming update. I'm guessing this is one of them--something that's getting corrupted in the backup somehow that's affecting the rest of the system. This thread seems like more evidence to support that theory.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  13.    #13  
    Nope, you will not be able to load them back with your "new" profile. Unless you're able to contact Palm and convince them one way or the other that the other profile is yours, which should be relatively easy. Why do all that when you can get the same effect by just doctoring your phone.....Its beyond me.
    It seems to be beyond you, as you put it. It seems that something other than data is backed up to the Palm backup. Otherwise I wouldn't get the result I get.

But maybe you could tell me exactly how and what the Palm backup does ? Noone seems to know exactly, and you seem to know a whole lot more, so please enlighten us.
    WebOS still makes sense.
    I know this might get a bunch of naysayers... but on 1.4, I was getting the too many cards error way too much, even on say Uno, with only one other card open, where other people have said they haven't had any issues.

I decided to try removing Preware and the Package Manager Service for a few days, and haven't had the Too Many Cards error since.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, as it shouldn't be the case, from what I can see, but doing that seems to have improved performance quite a bit for me.

And yeah, I rebooted to turn on dev mode to be able to uninstall Preware and Package Manager through webOS Quick Install, and I was a little concerned that it was the reboot causing the improved performance... but 3 days later, still no TMC error.

Of course, it could be a million other unseen things that is making it that way, but that's the only thing I know of that I've done since then.
    As for the backup suggestion, the easier thing to do than create a new profile would be to turn off backups before you do the erase of your Pre. This deletes them off of the Palm server, so the only thing that happens when you redo the First Use setup is that it downloads your apps again.

And the backup carries over most of the cookies that Palm's apps, patches, whatever, set. So if there's a funny thing happening, yeah, it could be being carried over from the backup. For example, say you patch your phone to put the add/remove pages in launcher and make 5 pages instead of 3. When you restore from the backup, you'll have 3 pages again. There's other examples too, like the call duration log being visible on a Sprint Pre, the blink notifications patch (before it became official) not resetting, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by karstenskov View Post
    It seems to be beyond you, as you put it. It seems that something other than data is backed up to the Palm backup. Otherwise I wouldn't get the result I get.

But maybe you could tell me exactly how and what the Palm backup does ? Noone seems to know exactly, and you seem to know a whole lot more, so please enlighten us.
    No. Actually, i have no idea. All i know is that palm backs up my data to "my profile" and when i use webos doctor as directed by palm, i get all my apps that i paid for. You might find it easier to make a new profile because you do have any paid apps. I have about $200 worth of apps (mostly games, missing sync, my tether), so, just imagine me delete all the games (i know i can get missing sync and my tether back). I dont know about you, but in "my" case, thats a disaster. I cant speak for anyone else, plus, webos doctor fixes my problems, hence i prompted you that i wont be trying your method or rather, your "methods of mass destruction". Dont get me wrong, i just dont like your method. Go install the 600 Mhz patch. It should make your phone alot faster than it is. Now, that helped me with the sluggishness, seeing that that was the only problem i had after WebOs Doctor.
    (A) You could get them to move your paid apps over to another email address. Would probly be relatively easy, but do be prepared to fight.

(B) You could try this with a fake/spare/new email address or whatever just to try, then revert to A if it's really that great. Or just try out the Secure Full Erase first before trying the new email addy.

(C) NO! A Doctor, and even a FULL ERASE does not remove all your data off the phone. I'd imagine that a Secure Full Erase *would* erase all your data from the phone. Or at least, I can only hope.

I'll have to tell caj2008 about this, since we can no longer use the 1.2 Doctor to do a complete wipe, during Doctor.

Nice idea, OP!

Secure Full Erase is most certainly what speeds up your device. Not the "corrupt" backup... tho, that could help in some instances, I don't think it's as big as the REAL Full Erase.
    Again, turning backups off and doing a full erase or a secure full erase will end up in an absolutely clean state, other than the fact your apps get reinstalled (with their settings all back to defaults).
    I made a mistake of creating a new login email in my profile.

Hence, I lost my paid apps, but Palm worked with me and refunded all my money so I could repurchase the apps all over again.

I posted the whole story in a thread here on Precentral.

I'm not home, so posting a link to that story is hard at the moment.

But in a nutshell, I had to fax Palm all of the email receipts that I got from the purchases. And Palm refunded me my money.

They are aware of what is a unusual situtation where someone creates a new prfile to get a clean profile. Hence they wipe out their paid app info.

To do a total erase of a profile, never use a different email address.

Just turned off your backup, which erases the profile completely EXCEPT for the paids apps.

Do this just beofre you run doctor!

Then there is nothing there when you get restored to factory defaults, except for the paid app info.

I learned the hard way, and I suggested to Palm that the paid app info should not be stores in the profile but in the Palm App Store servers.

They are looking into doing something different, but that was months ago.

I think I was the first to bring this issue to their attention.

But as I said they were great and did refund me my money when I provided proof of purchase.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Just turned off your backup, which erases the profile completely EXCEPT for the paids apps.
    Soo.... turn off the backup and lose all the free apps, then?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast