1.    #1  
    I own an iphone not the Pre...with that understood..

The iPad isn't a computer, netbook, or whatever...to me it's a big iphone or more specifically a big ipod touch. Sounds cool to me since i like my iphone.

What i don't like would then be having two similar devices. What would be the point of an iphone if i had the iPad? Especially if i'm paying through the nose for an at&t plan? I'd use the iphone a lot less. Plus wouldn't it be kind of boring to have two similar devices?

Why not get a Pre? Save a bunch on Sprint and drag the iPad around? Then i don't care about apps on the Pre or whatever. It'd do in a pinch when i didn't have the iPad with me.

I'm a sucker for screens, high res and all that and the iPad delivers. I'm a sucker for the Pre's multitasking and integration with my car's BT stereo and the Pre delivers. As a phone, looking up contacts, making calls, the Pre is ok. For the media, apps and browsing, the iPad.

Anyways, just thinking still. I'd save money for sure dumping the iphone plan (110 a month), selling the iphone 3GS, and adding a line (15 a month) to my sprint family account. I could buy a Pre for free.
    Sounds like a great idea. Saving all that money and getting the innovation of the Pre to boot.
    That's what I would do, if I happened to be an iPhone user. In fact, about the only reason I would get an iPad in the first place is if I were painfully tied to iPhone/iPod Touch apps and wanted a biggish screen to use them on. Otherwise, it's pretty pointless. Otherwise, it's just a tremendously massive iPod.

Hey, you could sell your 3Gs on Craigslist for $350 or so, undercut the competition (they sell for $400 here, used) get the Pre for $150, and apply the other $200 to your Sprint bill, wind up with a year's service on your phone for free as well.
    i am pretty sure i am going to get an ipad also... but i am keeping the iphone

the ipad will be a coffee table type book or a nightstand type pad... quick check of email and some light browsing of news and fav sites and access to my apps which i find myself using more than apps on my desktop... check the weather app, bank of america app, etrade, facebook as well as apps for my daughter where she doesnt have to use my phone and have bigger screens like brain quest and farm frenzy or other time wasters like tanzen or bejeweled two.

the iphone really has taken those basic tasks away from desktops... just a pain at times with the smaller screen but the ipad will take care of that.

but the cool thing is that the apps will cross platform so i have same app available on pad or phone and dont have to buy different versions or be without one on one but not the other. splash id for keeping all my passwords is an example. when i am on the go, i still have the same app.

Also contacts/calendars/pics/movies will all sync using one app... itunes and no need to manage two contact lists or such.

i think that aspect will keep most people on both an ipad and iphone or draw them to get the other.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I own an iphone not the Pre...with that understood..

The iPad isn't a computer, netbook, or whatever...to me it's a big iphone or more specifically a big ipod touch. Sounds cool to me since i like my iphone.

What i don't like would then be having two similar devices. What would be the point of an iphone if i had the iPad? Especially if i'm paying through the nose for an at&t plan? I'd use the iphone a lot less. Plus wouldn't it be kind of boring to have two similar devices?

Why not get a Pre? Save a bunch on Sprint and drag the iPad around? Then i don't care about apps on the Pre or whatever. It'd do in a pinch when i didn't have the iPad with me.

I'm a sucker for screens, high res and all that and the iPad delivers. I'm a sucker for the Pre's multitasking and integration with my car's BT stereo and the Pre delivers. As a phone, looking up contacts, making calls, the Pre is ok. For the media, apps and browsing, the iPad.

Anyways, just thinking still. I'd save money for sure dumping the iphone plan (110 a month), selling the iphone 3GS, and adding a line (15 a month) to my sprint family account. I could buy a Pre for free.
    Ugh...........$700 for a maxed out iPad, $999 for a Macbook.................$25 for a Google sync program for the Macbook.............

Not an Apple hater, I've owned plenty of their stuff in the past, but really, the iPad is rather silly.
    I can see why ipad could be a trendy thing to have, but seriosly? I can get a more powerful netbook for $300.

I think its stupid to pay that much more for just a larger screen for something that is to be portable. You really aren't that much more portable then a laptop.
    i agree the ipad is expensive and i cant bring myself to spend so much on a mac book or desktop (never owned them) and am happy with cheaper windows pcs and laptops. I have a laptop already on my living room table so the ipad is not a necessity.

but the ipad has definitely got my attention and will probably be an exception because of the reasons earlier.

i still thought about the hp slate especially if it were cheaper close to netbook price. but they just released price and that thing goes above the cheapest ipad which is high imo.

you're right... an expensive coffee table book/pad... but i think they got me

Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Ugh...........$700 for a maxed out iPad, $999 for a Macbook.................$25 for a Google sync program for the Macbook.............

Not an Apple hater, I've owned plenty of their stuff in the past, but really, the iPad is rather silly.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i am pretty sure i am going to get an ipad also... but i am keeping the iphone

the ipad will be a coffee table type book or a nightstand type pad... quick check of email and some light browsing of news and fav sites and access to my apps which i find myself using more than apps on my desktop... check the weather app, bank of america app, etrade, facebook as well as apps for my daughter where she doesnt have to use my phone and have bigger screens like brain quest and farm frenzy or other time wasters like tanzen or bejeweled two.

the iphone really has taken those basic tasks away from desktops... just a pain at times with the smaller screen but the ipad will take care of that.

but the cool thing is that the apps will cross platform so i have same app available on pad or phone and dont have to buy different versions or be without one on one but not the other. splash id for keeping all my passwords is an example. when i am on the go, i still have the same app.

Also contacts/calendars/pics/movies will all sync using one app... itunes and no need to manage two contact lists or such.

i think that aspect will keep most people on both an ipad and iphone or draw them to get the other.
    You've already indicated you'll use your iphone much less though. Which is what i mean.

As for having the same apps on the iphone? I wouldn't use them hardly. I'd be using the iPad. And they'll be designing iPad specific apps you'll have to buy anyways. Running made for iphone apps on a larger iPad is not going to be great IMO.

Pics and movies? I would be using the iPad moreso with higher res.

Contacts, email, and calendar? These are pulled in from google. As they would be on a Pre.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    I can see why ipad could be a trendy thing to have, but seriosly? I can get a more powerful netbook for $300.

I think its stupid to pay that much more for just a larger screen for something that is to be portable. You really aren't that much more portable then a laptop.
    I got a 13" laptop so no need for a netbook or similar device. Like i said in the opening post, i consider an iPad a replacement for the iphone or ipod touch. A deluxe version. Something i'd carry around but not with me always like a phone. In those times i only have my phone, i think the Pre would do the trick.
    the kicker would be for one time $15, you can get mytether and tether your iPad for no monthly charge!

mytether is the coolest app out there for any cellphone. saving $40 a month is so awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    the kicker would be for one time $15, you can get mytether and tether your iPad for no monthly charge!

mytether is the coolest app out there for any cellphone. saving $40 a month is so awesome!
    yes, that would be cool. i was hoping that they would have worked out some sort of seamless tethering with the iphone/ipad but in cardfans case, tethering like that would be pretty cool.
    before getting the ipad, check out the videos for the microsoft courier on endgadget
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I have an Imac so don't think I'm bashing Apple, but the Ipad is a waste of time and money, If you want some cool looking pad to carry around fine. But to remember, NO HULU!!, NO NETFLIX! it's an over grown Ipod. Get yourself a good netbook and the Pre and never look back.
    Since we're (vaguely) on the topic of tablets, I'll stick with my Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC that does everything the iPad does but also has a full-size keyboard. So, you know, I can do real work with it. To continue my Sunday morning rant: the only thing that bugs me about the iPad is that it's being presented as something new. Not something better, mind you, but something actually new. Grrr.

Okay, rant over.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Still with the people bashing the iPad. I don't have any illusions that it will be the most amazing product ever, but for most consumers it blows netbooks out of the water.

Most people who would buy a netbook are going to do a very limited number of things on it. They will surf the web, check e-mail, listen to music maybe, or do some light document writing. The iPad is what most people want in a netbook with an easy to understand UI.

If you need more great get something else. Personally I will be glad to be rid of the atrocious laptop/netbook mouse pad.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Kinda like why I have my Pre and I also have an iPod Touch -- I'd take a beating on price if I went with an iPhone.. After my corporate discount, I pay $59 for my Everything 450 plan and get unlimited everything.. There are a lot of really good apps on the Apple App Store though that I like to use -- so I pretty much just use the Touch for apps.. Hell, I dont even store my music on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrythe View Post
    Still with the people bashing the iPad. I don't have any illusions that it will be the most amazing product ever, but for most consumers it blows netbooks out of the water.
    Why is expressing dislike for a product "bashing it"? And for the record, what I personally am expressing is my exhaustion with Apple releasing a common product or feature (e.g., cut and paste) and the industry acting like it's revolutionary. I've been using a tablet PC (specifically, a Tablet PC) quite productively for seven years now, and so it just bugs me that the iPad--really just an overpriced, underpowered netbook with no keyboard, kind of nice software, and really high margins for Apple--is being presented as "magical" and "revolutionary."

Good for Apple's marketing department, but it represents such a herd mentality that it drives me batty. I'm glad to see that there will be significant competition this time around, and I plan to buy a competing tablet just so I can carry it around and show it off. Even if it's a (*cough* *gag* *hack*) Android tablet.

Oh, and yes, I'm in a bad mood this morning.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    In my case having the ipad along with my pre will fill an "in between" void. During hurricane season power outages are pretty common so having a second device with a data plan gives me another window to the world. In this case a larger window at that. $15 a month is nothing for me to make sure my kids are entertained as well as having access to news and radars during the most critical times. Plus having no contract means that I can stop and start to service at my convenience. So I see it as augmenting virtual experience as opposed to competing with my pre time. I can really use both.
    I think your Pre+iPad idea is a good one.

My only suggestion is that you get an extended life battery for the Pre, because using the phone as a hotspot is one of the ways to drain your battery the fastest of any Pre feature.

Even when on the charger, the phone is barely charging because the hotspot it taking almost all of the juice the charger is putting out.

my $.02
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think your Pre+iPad idea is a good one.

My only suggestion is that you get an extended life battery for the Pre, because using the phone as a hotspot is one of the ways to drain your battery the fastest of any Pre feature.

Even when on the charger, the phone is barely charging because the hotspot it taking almost all of the juice the charger is putting out.

my $.02
    Well I was planning on getting the version that let's you get a data plan through AT&T. That way if I lose power I don't need wifi.