1.    #1  
    I was just experimenting with some wishful thinking when I thought of all the talk of Palm needing to push out a new device that was absolutely stunning in order to survive the smartphone world, besides surviving in general.

Almost everyone who wants a killer new device seem to have unrealistic desires, so I thought I'd share my ideas. I realize I'll probably be the only one looking at my own post here, but it's fun to verbalize my thoughts every now and then.

• Keep the Pixi formfactor - I love my Palm Pre, but I hate the 'Oreo' slider. The Pixi's formfactor is just.... perfect. But....
    • Make it a landscape keyboard - swap out the current slider for a side sliding keyboard, and keep the gummy buttons (which have been a Palm trademark for a while now) and it would help those with fatter fingers (no offense). This keeps the screen landscape open, allowing for....
    • Enlarge the screen - By going to a landscape sliding physical keyboard, they would have effectively given themselves enough room to possibly open the screen size to say, 3.7", without making the phone itself, much larger beyond a millimeter or two (and hopefully not at all, so current pixi backplates would be compatible). I hate the bulky iPhone and Droid, and the Pixi size and shape, aside from it's horrible name, seems much more cross gender friendly.
    • Throw in a Snapdragon - ...or whatever else comes out that can pump out 1ghz without breaking a sweat. I've got my Pre overclocked at 800mhz right now and it's freakin amazing! Lag is nearly GONE. Programs load up FAST.
    • 4g - sorry, but if you're gonna stay ahead of the times, this is just a must. Whether it be a GSM or CDMA phone, it has to be 4g ready. Besides, who knows when Palm will be able to make another phone after this.
    • Improve the camera - Only one feature is truely needed and that's autofocus. I could ask for more with this, but I'm being a realist here.
    • Blow us away with some unique combinations of Touchstone accessories - Come on Palm! I realize that nothing has been developed because there's no money to truely push into the R&D of accessories, but at least ONE other Touchstone accessory would have been nice (car adapter, anyone?).

I really can't think of anything else I could want. I love my Pre and right now I wouldn't trade it for any phone out there. If improvements are to be made, then I think these would be financially sound, aside from cost effective, while still managing to 'wow' phone adoptors around the globe. I think Palm initially missed the boat by not putting wifi in the Pixi, and the only reason the Verizon version doesn't sell is because it can't do the 3D stuff that the Pre can do. Candybar formfactors sell, and with an OS as amazing as WebOS, I think this would do just fine.

What do you think?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Sounds interesting. I think a third device would be incredibly risky, but could work well to spur interest in Pre's and Pixi's still on the shelves if done right.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Ok, come now. I'm pretty sure I laid the groundwork for an honest opinion that was ment to engage realistic feedback. If you didn't want to comment on my opinion, then just ignore it. Otherwise, please refrain from the whining. Besides, you could have just said, check this thread out and post your idea there. I wasn't trying to be a 'look at me' moron like most thread creators. Helpful comments are always more productive than annoyed ones. I didn't even know that existed. Sorry for not looking through 600 different threads to find out it was already brought up and responded to hundreds of times... geez...
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I'm usually not like "oh there's 50 threads on this" kinda guy but I just responded to another one that had a whole wishlist.
    My bad.
    Anyway, the link is not mine, but to some guy who made a good mockup of what the next webos device should look like.
  6.    #6  
    Cool. Sorry for the blowup. Just that I hardly ever start threads, and to get shot down on probably my 2nd one, kinda annoyed me..... BTW, I checked out his thread, and holy God!! That would be awesome..... Of course, it sort of made me feel vindicated with my mindset. His design is totally unrealistic considering where Palm is at right now financially. Then again, my idea is sort of a step parallel, if not backwards when you think about it. Wish I had the photoshop skills that guy has though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    I wasn't trying to be a 'look at me' moron like most thread creators.
    of course you werent. you were just using this space as your own personal notepad.....
    I realize I'll probably be the only one looking at my own post here, but it's fun to verbalize my thoughts every now and then.
    all while coming up with brilliantly contradicing design ideas like.....
    # Keep the Pixi formfactor, Make it a landscape keyboard, keep the gummy buttons, Enlarge the screen
    effectively killing any resemblance to the Pixi form factor.

I hate the bulky iPhone and Droid
    which is basically what you just designed.
    His design is totally unrealistic considering where Palm is at right now financially.
    there is absolutely nothing unrealistc about his design.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    there is absolutely nothing unrealistc about his design.
    Just to clarify, by unrealistic, I mean financially. While I would love to see it created, and would buy it in a heartbeat, it would cost a fortune to mass produce that type of phone. Palm doesn't have that kind of money right now. And with regards to keeping to the formfactor of the Pixi, whose to say that they can't maximize the landscape of the Pixi front face to stretch out the screen size? The boarders of the front plate don't need to be that large do they? I'm no designer mind you, but it just seems like they can cram a little more screen into that baby.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Your thoughts aren't even remotely feasible, I'm sorry.

Keep the Pixi formfactor - I love my Palm Pre, but I hate the 'Oreo' slider. The Pixi's formfactor is just.... perfect. But....

Make it a landscape keyboard - swap out the current slider for a side sliding keyboard, and keep the gummy buttons (which have been a Palm trademark for a while now) and it would help those with fatter fingers (no offense). This keeps the screen landscape open, allowing for....
    I think you're confused. The Pixi is a QWERTY Candybar. That IS its formfactor. It sounds like you're simply referring to the general WxHxD dimensions, which wont happen since the slider will add significant thickness. This doesn't even mention how you also want to...

Enlarge the screen - By going to a landscape sliding physical keyboard, they would have effectively given themselves enough room to possibly open the screen size to say, 3.7", without making the phone itself, much larger beyond a millimeter or two (and hopefully not at all, so current pixi backplates would be compatible). I hate the bulky iPhone and Droid, and the Pixi size and shape, aside from it's horrible name, seems much more cross gender friendly.
    First, the iPhone is on the extreme thin end of the performance smart-phone spectrum. If the iPhone, with a 3.5" screen, is too bulky for you, a 3.7" sliding QWERTY would be out of the question. The Droid is about as thin as you're going to get if you want to even have marginally high-end internals. And you're likely going to end up with an even thicker device, as you want to...

Throw in a Snapdragon - ...or whatever else comes out that can pump out 1ghz without breaking a sweat. I've got my Pre overclocked at 800mhz right now and it's freakin amazing! Lag is nearly GONE. Programs load up FAST.
    You can't have Max performance, Max thinness, and remotely usable battery life. The Pixi is able to be thin due to the candybar formfactor and somewhat dated internals. This Super-phone just can't exist.

4g - sorry, but if you're gonna stay ahead of the times, this is just a must. Whether it be a GSM or CDMA phone, it has to be 4g ready. Besides, who knows when Palm will be able to make another phone after this.
    The Problem is that "4G" means different (and currently incompatible) internals to different networks. Sprint has a marginally well-covered 4G population, but the other networks have yet to implement a wide-scale roll out.

As you said, who knows when Palm will be able to make another phone. So don't limit your last, company-saving chance to a phone hooked to a 2nd tier network, with a feature few will be able to use or care about. Besides, this pays no mention to the increased battery usage that would result. Most people are content with 3G for now. There are far more important differentiators Palm needs to be working on.

Improve the camera - Only one feature is truely needed and that's autofocus. I could ask for more with this, but I'm being a realist here.
    Sounds good. 5mp w/ autofocus should be what they shoot for.

*EDIT* I hadn't planned for it to sound quite as rude as I came off, but I don't really want to go back and edit everything, so you have my apologies here.
    Last edited by Sayo; 03/21/2010 at 04:03 AM.
  11.    #11  
    LOL. I appreciate the end comment there, but I think I've gotten over the harshness after my first response rant. I see what you're talking about though with regards to the formfactor (and yes, you had my thoughts understood correctly. I just couldn't verbalize them like you did). I still say, after looking at various phones out there, that a slim, landscape sliding keyboard is possible. I would just hate to loose the slim size of the Pixi, after owning a Centro before my Pre, and the only thing i hated about it was it was too thick and plastiky
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    The only way they would be able to pull off a slim super-phone is if they went with a slate form-factor. Personally, I would rather spend a few extra millimeters on the landscape slider--for Palm, it would probably be faster to implement a solid physical keyboard than a software keyboard at this point.

Either way, I would make the screen as large as possible (3.7-4.2"). it needs to be eye-catching and impressive on first glance to have even a chance at capturing the market.
  13.    #13  
    Here's to hoping.... I'm in the market for a new phone in October and want to upgrade to another WebOS phone.... not the Supersonic. Then I'd be stuck with two phones. I could never throw out my Palm Pre.