Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I apologize if this is a noob type place to post this, but I recently learned that wi-fi is less of a drain on my Pre, when available, than 3g data. Now, when I am at home, I turn off my 3g data connection and turn on wi-fi (and the same for when I am at work). Trouble is, when I get home, I have to open Phone, open Phone preferences, turn off data connection, toss card, hit drop-down wireless menu, turn on Wi-Fi. Repeat in opposite fashion if I am leaving the house to go anywhere so that I can get data on the road and the phone isn't draining because it is constantly seeking a wi-fi signal.

Question is, is there an app or patch that will allow me to toggle both items at once at the flip of a switch (like flipping the switch from "I have Wi-Fi" to "I need 3g")? I'm not sure where to look for this.....
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    If you just turn on your wifi from the drop down menu it will supercede your data connection as long as you have a valid wifi. If you keep your wifi on when you lose your wifi signal it switches to data and when you get a valid wifi it switches back to wifi.
    If you just turn on your wifi from the drop down menu it will supercede your data connection as long as you have a valid wifi. If you keep your wifi on when you lose your wifi signal it switches to data and when you get a valid wifi it switches back to wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Not completely true. If you loose wifi for any reason, EVDO will turn on. Also, if you send or receive MMS it will use EVDO regardless if Wifi is on.

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Complex - thanks!

Mamouton - thanks, but I don't want it to be always searching for a wi-fi signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    The only problem with that is I've noticed that when the phone goes idle, the data connection and WiFi can sometimes both be on, creating a really hot phone and a waste of resources. If you're not charging then it drains the battery SUPER fast. Even when the phone is plugged up with WiFi and 3G on I have seen the battery go from 100% to 88% before I noticed. I'm not sure if this has been solved since 1.4 however, as I've never tried it out for awhile.

I would recommend adding data connection to the top menu so if you want to toggle data/wifi quickly, you can. Just make sure you pay attention if you leave them both on!
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    The only problem with that is I've noticed that when the phone goes idle, the data connection and WiFi can sometimes both be on, creating a really hot phone and a waste of resources. If you're not charging then it drains the battery SUPER fast. Even when the phone is plugged up with WiFi and 3G on I have seen the battery go from 100% to 88% before I noticed. I'm not sure if this has been solved since 1.4 however, as I've never tried it out for awhile.

I would recommend adding data connection to the top menu so if you want to toggle data/wifi quickly, you can. Just make sure you pay attention if you leave them both on!
    That works too. You can also use the simple switch apps. However, the Quick System Tasks puts a lot of options all in one place. In addition you can use its little hot bar as an addition quick launch pad with 5 other apps. Not too shabby for a homebrew app.