Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have really appreciated MyTether when I've needed it - which has been constantly for the past week, since they can't get my internet installed at my new house yet!

Aonic has done a good job in my opinion. Sure, there have been some issues now and then, but he's come out with fixes so that we can still use the program. Not bad for someone who isn't full-time trying to make a job of this!

As for battery draining faster than it can be recharged, just yesterday my wife, my son and I were all on our laptops accessing the internet. After about an hour of heavy use, my Pre decided "Enough is enough!" and shut down to get the battery charged back up! (It was only about 35% when we started, and I did have it plugged in.) After about a half hour it turned back on at 8%, and we were able to get online again as long as we limited to basic e-mail and web surfing.

My advice is to have your phone charged up as much as possible, and don't try to connect three or more heavy users all at once!
    I have a basic question - with My Tether do I have to pay the monthly fee to Verizon, or is having a regular internet plan for the Pre enough? I don't need to do this very often, but it would be handy at times.
    Are you in a lot of places that you need to use your laptop and cannot use your phone?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Thanks guys for your comments.

I have another question regarding MyTether. I opened the "Options" window and tried to change both the Name and Key to something easier to remember. But after I changed this, my laptop wouldn't recognize the new Name and Key password, so I had to change it back to the given Name and Key that the app came with.

Is it possible to change the Name and Key, or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Also, something else I noticed: While using MyTether, and also charging the Pre with the USB cord in charging battery mode, I noticed that the battery drains faster than the USB cord is able to charge it up! I think this is the same problem when using Sprint Navigation and charging the Pre through the car jack charger. Battery gets drained faster than it can be charged. Weird.
    If you're using a Windows based PC, open networking in control panel, click on "manage wireless networks", scroll the list of previously configured wireless connections and delete the one that was created using the original SSID and security key of your Pre using Mytether. Next make sure the new SSID and security key have been saved in Mytether. Open and close it to be sure. Now on your PC, access "view wireless networks" and attempt to connect to the newly found Pre wireless network showing the new SSID. Hope that helps.

My experience re: battery level using one connection either USB or wireless has not been a net charge loss. To be sure, the charge rate is greatly diminished but I've never experienced the battery level in deficit.
    what is everyone talking about I can surf the web and talk on the phone did it today just fine!
    If any of you have ever noticed that your 3G/1X drops (comes back for a second and then leaves again) on your phone everytime you turn on MyTether try this:

1.Call your voice mail
    2.In a new card open up MyTether
    3.Connect your device-i.e. iPod, Netbook
    4.WAIT for your device to show up in the MyTether list
    5.Once it does, end voicemail call

You should have a successful 3G/1X icon and myTether enabled

This is for the Pre Plus
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdvision View Post
    If you're using a Windows based PC, open networking in control panel, click on "manage wireless networks", scroll the list of previously configured wireless connections and delete the one that was created using the original SSID and security key of your Pre using Mytether. Next make sure the new SSID and security key have been saved in Mytether. Open and close it to be sure. Now on your PC, access "view wireless networks" and attempt to connect to the newly found Pre wireless network showing the new SSID. Hope that helps.

My experience re: battery level using one connection either USB or wireless has not been a net charge loss. To be sure, the charge rate is greatly diminished but I've never experienced the battery level in deficit.

Cool, thanks! I was able to change my Name and Password to something different!

Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Is it possible to use mytether to give a PC internet access? I am guessing all you would need on the PC would be a wifi reciever correct?
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Is it possible to use mytether to give a PC internet access? I am guessing all you would need on the PC would be a wifi reciever correct?
    Yep that's the whole reason for it
    Nice!!!
    When mine switches from EV to 1x, I turn airplane mode on for a second then off and EV usually comes back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    what is everyone talking about I can surf the web and talk on the phone did it today just fine!
    Probably wifi not ev
    Since I spend time on the road, MyTether has been a big help in updating schedules and grabbing a file left at home or the office ... although for me I appreciate being able to update emails without scrabbling for a late day wifi location. Connections an speeds in my EVDO route has been pretty good.
    I use it so that I can watch my slingbox at home while out on lunch. I average about 600Kb/s down which is plenty for standard quality setting. Leaves the phone a little hot while using it and charging but I just flip on the a/c for a couples of minutes and good to go
    just for some reference, aonic as of late seems sketchy on replying iffff your scared about mytether wrecking other apps that is a crock, ive had my tether free forever and then i did some research and found his downloadable installer for free as well saving me the massive "donation" (thats also a crock) mytether has never messed one of my apps up or patches and that includes the doom and quake issues others had. never happened to me, ive always had everything work great, just read research and do it right the first time...on another note, this does immensely heat the pre im talkin 45-54 degrees C. this isnt good for our phones at all so if you start reachin hi temps take a break, turn it off for a while... all in all i LOVE mytether over wifi, its amazing. its no risk so stop worryin people, just do your research, or PM ME!!!!!
    I just want to say this application has helped me immensely. I'm a PC technician and in my work supporting a network of hospitals it's just so convenient to be able to continue working while on the move. It has also made it a lot easier to test client's VPN problems without having to find a local wi-fi hotspot (I've also convinced over a dozen users switch to a Pre primarly due to the usefullness of tethering).

The installation was a breeze, and the only problem I've had using wifi tethering (no problems with USB) is occasionally it will connect but I am unable to access the internet via browser or ping. I just have to disable and re-enable my laptop's wireless adapter. Luckily I have a hardware switch to make this easier and it's a fairly rare occurrance.

It's really a shame that Sprint doesn't officially support tethering. IMO they are missing out on a huge selling point. Kudos to the Dev..I hope you get rich off this as you deserve it.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I would NOT recommend anyone buy MyTether. Aonic doesn't respond to PMs, there are known issues with the program, error messages that doesn't address in his forums. $14.95 was a waste of my money, I was able to use the program for a week and have been unable to connect since.
    At this point I would recommend mobile hot spot it has been working great. The phone does heat up so breaks are needed.

What sight do people recommend for testing speed of the connection?
    New Twitter post from MyTether:

New update for WebOS 1.4.1.1 and fixed the inaccurate numbers for data usage graphs. My Tether :: Donors Only
    Quote Originally Posted by ConeNubi701 View Post
    Nmoreman. It could be an issue with your network or Aonic hasn't enabled your account. Did you get the username and password email? You can try making a free account on the forum and PMing Aonic. Took me about a day and a half to get my email.

This is due to a memory leak somewhere in your Pre. I had this problem after a whole day of using my phone for random stuff (browser, calls, 3D games, video, etc) and not rebooting the phone. Try rebooting your phone before running MyTether.

My phone charges fine when tethered now. Also.... If you are in an area where you don't have good signal it will make your phone use more battery. If you are tethered at night and don't expect any calls try this...

1. Reboot Phone (OPTIONAL)
    2. Open MyTether and Enable USB Tethering
    3. Open Phone app.
    4. Push ##3836#
    5. Press the box where it says "Hybrid Rev A"
    6. Select "EVDO Only" in drop down menu.
    7. Press Save.

This will help your charge issue assuming you are tethering through USB and don't have any "heavy" apps running in the background.
    You will NOT receive calls while it is in "EVDO Only" mode. You can turn it off by just going into the ##3836# and selecting "Hybrid Rev A" again.

It has worked wonders for me. I loved this app so much in the free version (when it first came out) that I ended up donating.

I used to tether over my Samsung Instinct 1. It's such a great app to have on the Pre for Wi-Fi tethering.
    You sir, are a God send! I had an app on my Windows Mobile phone that did hotspot and automatically disabled calls, but this one didn't. Most people have absolutely NO idea how annoying it was to get a text message or phone call that ruins your productivity.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12