1.    #1  
    Anyone know of any major drawbacks of enabling permanent read/write (rw) on the root filesystem (/)? "Obviousely I know about accidental stuff like accidental deletions, I am looking for something not so obvious."

root@palm-webos-device:/# cat /etc/fstab
    # <filesystem> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    rootfs / ext3 ro,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime 1 1
    /dev/mapper/store-var /var ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0
    /dev/mapper/store-log /var/log ext3 noatime 0 0
    /dev/mapper/store-update /var/lib/update ext3 noauto,noatime 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs size=64M,mode=1777 0 0
    tmpfs /var/run tmpfs size=16M,mode=1777 0 0
    tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat utf8,shortname=mixed 0 0
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    ok, I'll bite, what would be the point?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    ok, I'll bite, what would be the point?
    My project isn't really for the masses so i'd rather not get into detail on my personal project, so if you have some insight on the root partition and my original question that would be great.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    It's supposed that the flash memory that resides on the Pre and many other devices has a certain write cycle count. Maintaining the flesystem on Read Only should minimize extra writes to the memory.

But, not a lot apps write to the memory, so I don't think it'd be a problem unless some nasty app appears on the wild that try to take advantage of that
  5.    #5  
    OK, tried it for a few hours and was going to start making my changes and still needed to do the
    mount -o remount,rw /
    even after a reboot. So I guess I'll just do the command. Thanks anyway for the input.