1.    #1  
    if palm does not have a new device to unveil in the next month or so then I hate to say it but palm is done. At the earnings call Jon should have told investors more info about the next device, instead he says a device is coming in 2010.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    International CTIA WIRELESS 2010

Booth 7053

I hope they have something exciting to announce. Given their recent bad quarter results and corresponding bad press, they almost have to announce something to stem the bleeding.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I thought I would attempt to curb the inevitable disappointment before it gets too out of hand and remind everyone that the company mentioned fourth quarter revenue would be less than $150 million.

This means, during the next several months, they'll be focused on burning off the glut of excess inventory currently in the channel. I think we can all agree that palm needs to go big for their next announcement. As such, I would imagine any device release might be similarly tied to the distribution of games and apps built with the beta PDK announced at GDC, since it was mentioned that the functionality required to enable these apps would be provided in a webOS update several months out.

It would kill them to even announce a new device before their existing inventory clears. The most one could reasonably expect to see between now and June (End of Q4) would be a WebOS 1.45 update to existing devices, possibly a Pre+ AT&T release, and/or an announcement of a new ad campaign. That's really it.

I would assume any future device would be released in the period of June-September, placing itself between the iPhone Gen4 and the (what's sure to be) enormous Windows Phone 7 ad blitz prior to Microsoft's holiday launch.

They realistically only have a very small window to gain back the momentum they lost over the course of the last year. Let's hope they can do that. Palm itself doesn't have the money, but a vote of confidence from Elevation Partners, by buying these cheap shares and thus increasing their percent ownership, could be taken as a well received signal of Palm's future. I don't know about the legality of my last statement though.
    Last edited by Sayo; 03/20/2010 at 10:41 PM.
    But announcing a new device will very likely undercut sales of current models...and remember one of Palm's biggest problems right now is a giant stockpile of unsold phones.

D***ed if they do, d***ed if they don't as far as announcing a new model. But they can do it. Whatever decision is made, I hope it works.
    "fourth quarter revenue would be less than $150 million."

Much Much less than $150M, if they expect to sell Pre's competing with Supersonic and Nexus.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    But announcing a new device will very likely undercut sales of current models...and remember one of Palm's biggest problems right now is a giant stockpile of unsold phones.
    I don't get why the carriers aren't just giving them away for free at this point. I mean, my understanding is that the carriers already paid Palm for the phones, so it's really the carriers who have the unsold inventory, not Palm.

While yes, that will definitely affect Palm's ability to sell the carriers on a new device, I'd think the carriers would just want to get rid of all that inventory... not just because it's taking up space, but pretty much every sale they make extends the customer's contract, therefore guaranteeing them income.

I'd think it's better than inventory just sitting on store shelves, especially when they already paid for it.

And honestly, it'd be good for Palm too, because they'd be getting more people using webOS.

(And people wonder why it's such a delicate balance between making more product, and making not enough during shortages. )
    it already takes 13 months for carriers to earn back the subsidy. Give them away for free a year or 2 ahead of time and what's that contract really worth?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    it already takes 13 months for carriers to earn back the subsidy. Give them away for free a year or 2 ahead of time and what's that contract really worth?
    13 months? I didn't realize it was that long. Yeah, that would explain it.
  9.    #9  
    I do realize that they have alot of phones unsold but I bet most of those are pixis and honestly I don't see why they just can't sell those for free with contract.