1.    #1  
    Is it possible to assign colors or categories to events in the calendar? I've gotten use to that on Palm OS devices and can't do without it anymore. I can't seem to figure out any way to do it with the built-in app and there don't seem to be any 3rd party calendars (after a year!!).

I realize I could use DateBK or Agendus in Classic, but I'm looking for something that will integrate with Synergy.

Thanks,
    Panagiotis
    I use Gmail and it allows for that , colors for each catagory or calendar.
  3.    #3  
    I'm looking for colors / categories on the Palm device.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    When in the calendar application, press on Calendar in the upper left corner to open the menu for the application. Go to Preferences & Accounts. When that opens, scroll down to Calendar View Options. That will show you the calendars and allow you to change the colors.
  5.    #5  
    Nope, still not what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in having 20 different calendars. I want one calendar with the ability to assign colors or categories to events just like I've been able to do for years with Outlook and Palm OS calendar. I know I can have a gazillion Google, Yahoo, etc calendars to sync with WebOS calendar. I'm not interested in wasting my time jumping from calendar to calendar. The whole point of a PIM is is convenience and organization. That means one handheld calendar, one desktop or online calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Nope, still not what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in having 20 different calendars. I want one calendar with the ability to assign colors or categories to events just like I've been able to do for years with Outlook and Palm OS calendar. I know I can have a gazillion Google, Yahoo, etc calendars to sync with WebOS calendar. I'm not interested in wasting my time jumping from calendar to calendar. The whole point of a PIM is is convenience and organization. That means one handheld calendar, one desktop or online calendar.
    +1
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    In the end having separate Google calendars for each category gives you the same result as categories. Online you'll see 1 calendar on which you'll see the info from all your calendars. On the Pre, it's the same...everything is just integrated. I actually like this better.
    I think this guy means that you can look at the monthly view with colours as well. Something i've been asking for
  9.    #9  
    What I mean is having one calendar on one handheld device, one calendar on one PC (in other words Outlook or such). I'm not real interested in online calendars at all - the industry has privacy requirements that forbid the use of unencrypted, offline data.

What I DO want is the ability to have categories or colors attached to calendar entries on the desktop PIM and have them displayed somehow on the hendheld calendar. Maybe something as simple as a colored dot beside the entry in the daily / weekly / monthly views. An ability I've had with PalmOS devices for ten years or so.

/ bit of a rant on/

You know, Palm got so much right with the WebOS line. It's really one of the best devices available. But when they strip necessary features in the process of making an "upgrade", it's ridiculous. I had a better calendar on my Handspring Visor - over 10 years ago!!

All over their webpage, Palm is pushing this device as a business solution. I'm certain no business users sat down with them during development (or at least Palm didn't listen to them). These devices are so obviously meant to be "play" or "casual user" devices and that's so sad because they carry some very large kernals of greatness.

If they say it's too difficult to provide these features in a web based environment, all I can say to them is hooey. There have been competent web based calendars for a long time with comparable features to desktop products for years - and I DON'T mean Yahoo or Google calendar (once again reidiculously limited products).

If I need to do project management (ala Act, Goldmine, etc) it's simply impossible on the Pre - no one even seems interested in doing it right.

Sigh. /rant off/

Thanks,
    Panagiotis
    This is something I've been wanting for a long time. Worked very nicely on my Treo 755p, one of the things I miss on the Pre.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    You misunderstand the way the "gazillion" calendars work on Google. They are called sperate calendars, but they serve the same function as the "Catgories" that you're looking for.
    The first attachment is a week view for the first of March from my Google Calendar. The second is March 1 on my Pre, showing the day view.

Purple (on both screens) are work appointments, blue are doctors appointments, green are personal activities. It doesn't show on the day view (because there weren't any that day), but the Pink are my wife's personal activites as well. That's an advantage that the old system couldn't do - shared calendars. My wife sees my doctors appointments, and personal activities. She's not so interested in work stuff, so I don't share that (I couldn't anyway, some of it can't be shared).

One of the bigger problems with people coming from the legacy Palm devices is getting used to doing things the way this system is designed. Give it a try, I really believe it will do what you're looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hparsons; 03/21/2010 at 02:34 PM.
    What I mean is having one calendar on one handheld device, one calendar on one PC (in other words Outlook or such). I'm not real interested in online calendars at all - the industry has privacy requirements that forbid the use of unencrypted, offline data.
    If that's the case, your Pre (and your previous Palm) didn't qualify. Both of them stored the data in unencrypted format, and they were offline data.

You know, Palm got so much right with the WebOS line. It's really one of the best devices available. But when they strip necessary features in the process of making an "upgrade", it's ridiculous. I had a better calendar on my Handspring Visor - over 10 years ago!!

All over their webpage, Palm is pushing this device as a business solution. I'm certain no business users sat down with them during development (or at least Palm didn't listen to them). These devices are so obviously meant to be "play" or "casual user" devices and that's so sad because they carry some very large kernals of greatness.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. It's still most definitely usable by business users, it's just a different method of use. Google Calendars is not the only option here. You could also get an Exchange account. However, if none of the available (and there are available solutions) work for you, then you have the wrong device. It should be pretty simple to go back to using the older Palm device.

If I need to do project management (ala Act, Goldmine, etc) it's simply impossible on the Pre - no one even seems interested in doing it right.
    Check Outline Tracker. It does a pretty good job of project management.
    I use Google Calendar for my personal stuff. My wife can see it or change it if she wants. I can also see our tennis club's schedule on my Pre via Google's calendar if I want.

My work calendar is in Outlook.

All these calendars show up on my Pre calendar just the way I specify, and I get to pick what color for each calendar.

That is Synergy, and it is working swimmingly for me. Perhaps if there is enough demand, someone will make a patch that will allow different colors on the Pre within the same calendar. Different strokes for different folks! As a programmer, it is very difficult to please all the people all the time.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You misunderstand the way the "gazillion" calendars work on Google. They are called sperate calendars, but they serve the same function as the "Catgories" that you're looking for.
    The first attachment is a week view for the first of March from my Google Calendar. The second is March 1 on my Pre, showing the day view.

Purple (on both screens) are work appointments, blue are doctors appointments, green are personal activities. It doesn't show on the day view (because there weren't any that day), but the Pink are my wife's personal activites as well. That's an advantage that the old system couldn't do - shared calendars. My wife sees my doctors appointments, and personal activities. She's not so interested in work stuff, so I don't share that (I couldn't anyway, some of it can't be shared).

One of the bigger problems with people coming from the legacy Palm devices is getting used to doing things the way this system is designed. Give it a try, I really believe it will do what you're looking for.
    This works for me. I have five calendars (categories) within my main web calendar that display in various colors on the pre
    I'll just throw in another one here for the op. Govotsos, I felt the same exact way you did at first, like how could they leave out categories??? - but as everyone here is saying it really works well giving you the same results as the old Palm OS. (I had 10 of the those suckas' over the years so I know what you mean.) Give it a try, I think you'll find it every bit as useful as the ole' Palm OS.

-Tom
    are you just asking for colors in the monthly view so you can take one look and know what coming up quickly, colors only come into view when you are in weekly or daily views which does suck and has been on my list forever.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    / bit of a rant on/

This may come as a surprise to you, but Palm *removed* the colored category feature from their desktop sync software somewhere between the 4.x and 6.x versions...long before the Pre came along! I have no idea why, but suspect that it had something to do with Microslop Exchange not supporting categories so they decided to deprecate the feature from the Palm desktop and PalmOS.

I was happily using Palm Desktop 4.x with my Treo 700P, and had several different categories in my calendar and contacts. In order to bring all of that info to my new Pre, Palm required me to upgrade the desktop software to 6.x in order to run their one-way data push tool for the Pre. Imagine my surprise when the categories were all gone! Long story short, I was coincidentally evaluating Zimbra the week before, and had my Treo synced with it. I wound up exporting the data from Zimbra to bring it to Google, because it would have taken weeks to re-categorize my data if I pushed it to the phone from the 6.x desktop app like Palm wanted me to do.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Palm sold off their PalmOS/software business several years ago. They want to distance themselves as far away from PalmOS as possible, so that they don't need to pay royalties to Access on any Pre sales. This is why the Pre doesn't sync with the old desktop software. It also explains why the WebOS PDA functionality is missing features, since the people who knew how a PDA should work are now all employed by Access and not by Palm.....
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
    I think he wants to categorize the entries in calendar.
    Kind of like categorizing (grouping) contacts.

And no its not possible on current version of WebOS.
    I use Outlook for everything with each task/appointment categorized and color coded. Like the OP, all I want to do is have everything show up on my Pre's calendar exactly the way I have it in Outlook (categorized & color coded). I do not use Google Calendar because to me, it can not touch Outlook in functionality (at least the way I use Outlook) plus I do not need to share my calendar/tasks/appointments with anyone.

I could see using the multiple Google Calendars method as previously mentioned if I used the Pre as my main calendar. However, since Outlook is my main calendar, the google option will not work for me (at least how I understand it).

Thanks for all of your input. I truly learn a lot from this forum!