Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    just for the record,the droid is a two piece slider. Somebody said it wasn't.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I've had mine since launch day and I have no problem with it what so ever. I have a crack at the usb opening but it is evident why that happened. I don't use a case. I carry it in my pocket most of the time. I obviously stressed it out and caused the crack. It's been there a while and has not spread anywhere.

This isn't a rubberized nextel. Plain and simple.. it won't take the abuse. I don't feel it was designed to.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAlex1992 View Post
    I have been on these forums for a bit now, but have only recently gotten my Pre. Obviously, I knew of the potential hardware issues and the lack of build quality of the device I was going to get (Sprint Palm Pre). So when I got my Pre last Tuesday, I was simply shocked that it was the exact opposite of what people had been saying it was. The slider felt solid - absolutely no Oreo effect, and the device just felt solid. I don't know if it is because it is newer, or if I just got lucky, but I didn't get the device that everyone on these forums seem to be complaining about..
    That is because the MAJORITY of the phones being sold are good solid devices... The people who get those don't have anything to complain about, so they don't... The people who did get poorly made pres are all very vocal. They make it seem like every pre is garbage, when in fact, the pre has about the same return for repair rate as any other smartphone out there.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    me either, makes ya wonder if they are telling the truth
    I have had to replace my original pre because of the build quality ...some people are telling the truth than there are others who do not tell the truth
    I think some people are abusive to their phones. I don't keep mine in my slip cover, just in my pocket, still working perfect after 6 months.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    I think some people are abusive to their phones. I don't keep mine in my slip cover, just in my pocket, still working perfect after 6 months.
    This came to my mind. I have been keeping mine in the pouch it comes with for the past week. Just ordered my skinomi today. I don't baby my Pre, but I don't rough it up either. It will be a week on Tuesday since I have gotten the phone, and it is exactly like it was when I opened it, except for a few fingerprints on it, and some slight marks where the slider meets the mirror. But these are expected with regular use... I also just put it in my bag inside its pouch when I go to the gym or have Track practice.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Mines is very solid, Sprint Palm Pre bought last week.
    I was pretty surprised when I finally got my Palm Pre Plus. After reading this forum, I saw a lot of people say it felt "cheap" and plastic. However, that was not my impression at all. With the included touchstone back, it feels solid and well-built. My daughter thought it was too heavy for a while, but now loves it. Overall, no problems with the construction and it feels good and solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAlex1992 View Post
    This came to my mind. I have been keeping mine in the pouch it comes with for the past week. Just ordered my skinomi today. I don't baby my Pre, but I don't rough it up either. It will be a week on Tuesday since I have gotten the phone, and it is exactly like it was when I opened it, except for a few fingerprints on it, and some slight marks where the slider meets the mirror. But these are expected with regular use... I also just put it in my bag inside its pouch when I go to the gym or have Track practice.
    I've seen some people in videos doing a one handed 'sling slide' of the kb, it literally rockets apart and slams the sliders, on doubt this will break the plastic.

I have been using my usb charging port extensively without breaking either, it isn't even loose or flimsy.

I wouldn't get a pre for my sister, she managed to break Nokia candybars and flip phones into pieces, no idea what she does with them. She needs a titanium built phone.
    for those who go " those with build problems are liars" you just need to check this forum, or even youtube!

if you still don't believe then you are as blindsighted as your devotion to palm, like terrorists to their cause! are you a terrorist?

lol

I miss bush
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    for those who go " those with build problems are liars" you just need to check this forum, or even youtube!

if you still don't believe then you are as blindsighted as your devotion to palm, like terrorists to their cause! are you a terrorist?

lol

I miss bush
    oh I am sure there are some people with problems, I just wonder how much is 'self inflicted'

or 'refurbs' of those that were broken that were done shoddy on the repair job.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    oh I am sure there are some people with problems, I just wonder how much is 'self inflicted'

or 'refurbs' of those that were broken that were done shoddy on the repair job.
    You bring up an interesting point. Who actually does the repair job? Is it Palm themselves or is it the retailers?
    Quote Originally Posted by taglioni View Post
    I have had to replace my original pre because of the build quality ...some people are telling the truth than there are others who do not tell the truth
    So are you telling the truth? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    No problems with my launch day pre either, solid hardware, going on 10 months now.
    +1
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywaller View Post
    just for the record,the droid is a two piece slider. Somebody said it wasn't.
    Considering that, if it were one piece, there would be nothing to slide...........

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $latest$ $build$ $was$ $at$ $the$ $end$ $of$ $November$, $there$ $might$ $be$ $one$ $more$ $in$ $there$ $in$ $January$, $seems$ $to$ $be$ $the$ $trend$. $Two$ $months$ $from$ $one$ $build$ $to$ $the$ $next$. $I$ $suppose$ $it$ $would$ $depend$ $on$ $how$ $much$ $tweaking$ $was$ $required$ $to$ $solve$ $the$ $issues$ $from$ $previous$ $models$.
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post

Palm's most visible supporter, Joshua Topolsky, Engadget editor, had this to say about Pre build quality:
    Quote Originally Posted by Topolsky
    The mistake: Hardware issues which plagued the Pre, with no outward acknowledgment or rush to correct.

Let's just be honest, guys -- you've had some manufacturing and design issues with the Pre. We've seen countless reports, read too many blog posts to recall, and heard all sorts of horror stories about broken sliders, power buttons that stop functioning, the "Oreo cookie" effect, and more. Hell, even our first review unit broke!

Let me switch to first person here and tell you a story. When the Pre came out, I emphatically recommended the phone to a good friend of mine who was a Sprint subscriber -- I sold it to him so well I should have gotten a commission. I was truly excited about webOS and all its possibilities (I still am to a large extent). My friend went ahead and bought the phone, only to be wracked with build quality and battery life issues. He regularly complained that his slider mechanism had begun to slip, his power button required a "special" hard push to function, his MicroUSB door snapped off (big surprise)... and that was to say nothing of his battery life problems. In addition, the software issues which started around the first or second update (the sluggish behavior and random "too many cards" messages) drove him to not just be unhappy with the phone -- but to really hate it. By allowing these hardware and software issues to go unchecked or unacknowledged, Palm isn't just creating issues for its customers... it's making enemies.

The fix: Make better hardware, and own up to issues as soon as you see them. Maybe this is easier said than done, but if you want to continue to be transparent and available to your customers, then you have to be able to speak up when something goes wrong. Of course, instead of just issuing an "improved" version of the Pre when it came time to release on Verizon you could have just...
    It's not a pretty picture.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123