Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've had my German GSM Palm Pre since December with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    you guys (with the exception of wynand32) received the new batch the original batch from release to around october was the one famous for it's poor quality
    This probably explains it. Palm should probably remove this batch of phones from the market.
    No problems with my launch day pre either, solid hardware, going on 10 months now.
    I have one of the original palm pre's as I got mine the first week it came out. So all the issues people complain about must depend on how badly they treat the phone, because my phone is in great shape and still has 0 issues.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That describes my launch-day Pre, which remains problem-free.
    +1
    Out of all my Pre's, I never had the oreo problem. I have had the following:

1. Touchscreen stopped working (never been dropped)
    2. Stuck pin/dll issue with headphone port
    3. Keyboard stopped working (again, Pre was never dropped).
    4. Both refurbs had many many dead pixels. One or two, no big deal but many, yeah don't think so.

I'm on my fourth Pre (launch day Pre was awesome but touchscreen stopped working).

2nd Pre was a refurb (returned it for many dead pixels and lint underneath the screen)

3rd Pre was a refurb (slider issue that I fixed with a piece of paper in battery compartment but also suffered from the stuck pin issue too often to keep)

4th Pre was a new Pre (great customer service at my Sprint store). I'm still rocking this one with a build date of 10/2009.

I should mention that with all my problems, my Sprint store was awesome in that I never once got any hassle about my returns. The fact that I got a new Pre after my 2 failed refurbs speaks volumes of that store. No hassle about it either nor did I ask for a new one. My CS rep said that I shouldn't have had so many issues with my phone so she gave me a new one, no questions asked. Gotta give them props.

The above is all hw based.

WebOS rocks in my opinion.

As I've stated over and over in these forum threads, the poor build quality of the hw (not the specs) is the Achilles heel of this phone.

I still love my Pre though and they'll have to take it out my cold dead hands!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I have a launch day Pre, which has never seen a pocket (holster case), never been dropped, and pretty much lived a sheltered life...she is my baby after all! Yet I noticed she's developed a small crack on the top slider at about the 7 o'clock position that I can feel and see but it doesn't extend up into the gesture area. I have insurance but I'm wondering if this would be covered or would they say I must have dropped it?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

It's awesome that you folks have good, solid Pre's, but I'm not shocked that we see so many stories on these forums about bad build quality and whatnot. After all, most people seek out forums like this in order to get help/advice on problems with devices. People posting happy stuff is rarer, even if there are more 'good' pre's out in the wild than 'bad.'
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Major wiggle in mine and I bought it back in end of Oct. at Radioshack. I wonder if they had last batch of messed up models. Of course, I've dropped mine around 20 times already and cracked it in 2 places, but at least my screen is pristine thanks to the Skinomi protector I bought. Absolutely scratch free.
    webOS gets a 10 the hardware quality is a 5. just my opinion and Im on my second pre and both had oreo affect not much but a lil shifty . my first pre died in a biking accident but i liked the webOS so much i bought a second unsubsidized ..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I have a launch day Pre, which has never seen a pocket (holster case), never been dropped, and pretty much lived a sheltered life...she is my baby after all! Yet I noticed she's developed a small crack on the top slider at about the 7 o'clock position that I can feel and see but it doesn't extend up into the gesture area. I have insurance but I'm wondering if this would be covered or would they say I must have dropped it?
    Sprint's not all that picky. If you've got the $7 montly insurance plan, you'll be good to go. That covers everything short of a nuclear war, and if they happened to have access to an underground bunker full of Pres, they'd give you a replacement via carrier pigeon.
    well that's nice you gave pre another chance after the fact it broke was your fault. For the people who complain about a little wiggle, and say the iphone and droids have so much better build quality, how about taking a breath and realize both of those do not need to have two separate pieces that slide and are also bigger allowing for more room for more solid frames. There is nothing wrong with the actual physical body of the pre.

QUOTE=AAA99;2320410]webOS gets a 10 the hardware quality is a 5. just my opinion and Im on my second pre and both had oreo affect not much but a lil shifty . my first pre died in a biking accident but i liked the webOS so much i bought a second unsubsidized ..ouch[/QUOTE]
    Just a little wiggle with the slider, nothing to complain about. With my Seidio case it feels more solid anyway.
    I just got a newer pre and its being only 3 days and its kind of shakey. That was the reason i returned the other one anyway. But who can complain?...The Pre is certainly a great phone, but i wish i had got it now, so i can pay less money for it lol. They're pretty much selling it for nothing now compared to how much i paid for it.
    I was just like you.

"EVERYONE IS LYING, MINE IS PERFECT!" and then 1 week went by and now I have terrible oreo effect and the battery cover makes a cracking sound anytime I use the keyboard.
    Hey that might just be your hard case cover..if you have one lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    you guys (with the exception of wynand32) received the new batch the original batch from release to around october was the one famous for it's poor quality
    I got mine in July with no problems at all.
    over 9 months my pre is in perfect condition!

im using a skinomi screen protector with leather palm slip case.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    What is the build date on latest batch that is well made?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  20. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I had to replace my launch Pre because of some bizarre issue with the volume rocker. It had the oreo effect too, but it wasn't so bad that I wanted to return it. My new one though is great.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast