View Poll Results: Would you stay with the Pre if you were me, or go for the HD2?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre! WebOS rocks!

121 91.67%
  • HTC HD2. The hardware is really amazing

11 8.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First I would like to say that the community here is really great. I have a Microsoft background, I work as an Exchange Server Consultant and had many Windows Mobile phones and the Apple iPhone. When I saw WebOS I was really excited and I bought it when it came to Germany. This was my second Palm device ever, the Palm Tx being the first (which I didn't really like - I was never a Palm fan).
    After almost five months of using the phone I cannot say that I am unhappy, but I feel that the hardware could be so much better. I would especially like to see a bigger screen and a faster processor.
    The last couple of weeks I admit that I was really disappointed from all negativity about Palm and its future. I didn't even want to visit Precentral because of all the bad news or opinions that are so often posted. I admit that that made me see my Palm Pre differently.
    Then the MIX conference came and we heard a lot of things about Windows Phone 7. At first I was really excited about it, but as I come from a pure Windows background, I started missing Windows Mobile 6.5
    I know that WM 6.5 has many issues, nobody needs to tell me that, but there is one device who works really beautifull and I think it would be a shame not to own it, despite the fact that it won't be getting an official upgrade to Windows Phone 7. The device is of course the HTC HD2.

I started comparing what my Palm Pre is offering and what I would get from an HTC HD2, so I made a small list where I rated these areas:

Palm Pre
    • Calendar Features: 5/10
    • E-Mail: 8/10
    • Contacts Management: 7/10
    • Internet Browser: 9/10
    • Games: (although I am in Germany): 8/10
    • Music: 7/10
    • Videos: 7/10
    • Photo Management: 8/10
    • Hardware in general: 7/10
    • Speed: 7/10
    • OS features: 10/10

------------------------------------
    HTC HD2
    • Calendar Features: 10/10
    • E-Mail: 7/10
    • Contacts Management: 10/10
    • Internet Browser: 9/10
    • Games: 1/10
    • Music: 8/10
    • Videos: 8/10
    • Photo Management: 8/10
    • Hardware in general: 10/10
    • Speed: 10/10
    • OS features: 8/10

I tend to choose the HD2 because for me important are the calendar features, Exchange integration, the browser, speed and of course the hardware. I don't really care about games.

I also have the feeling that (and I am sorry to say that) Palm won't make it and that makes me feel a bit sad.
    I know of course that the HD2 doesn't have much of a future itself, but the hardware is top notch and the XDA Developers are doing an incredible job optimizing the device to the maximum. They have even created a patch that enables 3G when a program needs a data connection and immediately disables it when not necessary!
    I don't know if you have seen the HD2 in action:

The screen resolution is just incredible and the 4,3" screen amazing.

I wish Palm could bring such a device on the market. WebOS would look amazing on the HD2...

I have placed an order for the HD2 but I haven't decided yet if I am selling the Pre. I love the OS and I could just use both devices...

If I decide to sell it, then I would miss the following features/apps:
    • Multiple Exchange Accounts (though Exchange support isn't really good)
    • Multitasking is uniquely done
    • Dr Podder
    • the Browser
    • The Email app and the way it formats emails
    • occasional gaming

I don't want to start a dispute here or insult anyone. I just wanted to write my thoughts and see if there others out there having similar thoughts. As I said, I am not selling the Pre (yet). I will give the HD2 a test drive for a couple of days and then decide...
    why r u posting this stuff ?? if your not satisfied return the pre and get the phone you want !! you dont need us your list speaks for what you need or want ..... so what r u waiting for go get it lol.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    dude really just leave who cares what you think. Aww ur last post, who cares!
    oh and just so you know about it ,next week or so a patch that runs the processor at either 720 or 800 whichever you prefer lol and man it is fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    that is exactly what I wanted to avoid but apparently there a lot of people who didn't really read what I wrote...
    uh... i dont think palm can really afford to lose any more owners and prob dont appreciate having people help open the door for them on the way out lol...

you gotta tell em about the cancellation fees and how winmo really blows and will have to buy winmo 7 and that winmo 7 will not have cut and paste and etc.

i know you dont wanna do it but you gotta be nice to these people... stroke them a bit... just enough to keep them for a little while longer... palm needs more time and needs these owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    why r u posting this stuff ?? if your not satisfied return the pre and get the phone you want !! you dont need us your list speaks for what you need or want ..... so what r u waiting for go get it lol.
    Great post, though I expect some are going to come here and "roll eyes" and mutter the usual insults.

Anyway, I've held out on the Pre since announcement cause something was just missing for me and it turned out to be screen size. Having 3.5" Win Mobile devices over the years certainly spoiled me a bit I'd say. If the HD2 was coming to Sprint even with 6.5 I would still be all over it. As for Win Phone 7, I won't stress it much as I would expect the XDA folks to get it to the HD2 in some form or another. Win Mobile might blow for some but it's might functional for me as it just works for me.

Since I'm so "in love" with Sprint and don't intend to move anywhere else (been with for more than 10yrs now) I've settled on the Supersonic for the time being and a year from now when Win Phone 7 devices trickle to Sprint, I'm in.
    Last edited by Merovingian; 03/20/2010 at 07:44 PM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    i read it but theres not any reason to talk you out of it . if your not satisfied . i would leave this phone if i thought it wasnt worth the wait for the next gen phone that will have better hardware . palm listens to thier customers and they have always been the best in the past , and i think they will come back somehow someway !! imo
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Great post, though I expect someone is going to come here and "roll eyes".

Anyway, I've held out on the Pre since announcement cause something was just missing for me and it turned out to be screen size. Haven't been spoiled by 3.5" Win Mobile devices certainly spoiled me a bit I'd say. If the HD2 was coming to Sprint even with 6.5 I would still be all over it. As for Win Phone 7, I won't stress it much as I would expect the XDA folks to get it to the HD2 in some form or another.

Since I'm so in love with Sprint and don't intend to move anywhere else (been with for more than 10yrs now) I've setteled on the Supersonic for the time being and a year from now when Win Phone 7 devices trickle to Sprint, I'm in.
    Thanks for the post. I also find the screen small. When I bought the Pre I didn't really think that this would be an issue, but a week ago I saw the HD2 and hold it on my hand...
    As I said, I am not comparing OSes...It is clear who has the best OS (Palm), but that is unfortunately not enough.
    It might help if you describe what you feel is missing, as opposed to just saying "it's missing calendar features".
  11.    #11  
    i read it but theres not any reason to talk you out of it . if your not satisfied . i would leave this phone if i thought it wasnt worth the wait for the next gen phone that will have better hardware . palm listens to thier customers and they have always been the best in the past , and i think they will come back somehow someway !! imo
    I didn't say that I am selling the Pre. I have two phone numbers and I could use both. I just wanted to say what I had in my mind and see how others here feel about it. This is not a rant about Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    uh... i dont think palm can really afford to lose any more owners and prob dont appreciate having people help open the door for them on the way out lol...

you gotta tell em about the cancellation fees and how winmo really blows and will have to buy winmo 7 and that winmo 7 will not have cut and paste and etc.

i know you dont wanna do it but you gotta be nice to these people... stroke them a bit... just enough to keep them for a little while longer... palm needs more time and needs these owners.
    no i dont have to ! he will be back when he realizes what he's missing its happened alot just search the threads . and who am i to say that wm 7 sucks ?! i dont know anything about wm7 but i do know the last wm mobile phone i had wasnt good for me. and thats that i dont need to or want to stroke anyone or anything at all . i tell the truth and thats that! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It might help if you describe what you feel is missing, as opposed to just saying "it's missing calendar features".
    Here is a list of things missing:
    Ability to invite attendees and lookup free/busy times if on Exchange!
    Week View should not only display blocks for all appointments but also appointment text and location
    Month View should have an option to display mini text
    Ability to create multiple alarms for an appointment
    Support for multiple time zones
    Ability to create templates
    Locations should be saved in a list. When entering new appointments this list should automatically appear
    Ability to attach files on appointments
    ability to link with contacts/other appointments & tasks
    All day events should appear in month view (I know there is a patch for that but Palm should provide that functionality!!!)
    Support for Exchange Categories (that goes for tasks and contacts too)
    Performance is very bad. It should become a zillion times faster!

I had all of the above on Windows Mobile!!! I give Palm a couple of months to implement all of the above and I really hope they do. I believe that WebOS is a great OS but an OS is no good if the apps suck!!!
    I will be certainly looking to get Microsoft's new OS...
    hey.. i've seen your posts in the past so i know you shoot straight and from the hip. nothing wrong with that.

just that every month is precious... and every customer they have now. may not be a palm to come back to.

maybe people that use to say, 'get the f-outta here' should just not say anything and let the others offer something that might help or let him quietly go on his way and let the threads die faster.

i know i know... easier said than done.

no i dont have to ! he will be back when he realizes what he's missing its happened alot just search the threads . and who am i to say that wm 7 sucks ?! i dont know anything about wm7 but i do know the last wm mobile phone i had wasnt good for me. and thats that i dont need to or want to strock anyone or anything at all . i tell the truth and thats that!
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    I had all of the above on Windows Mobile!!! I give Palm a couple of months to implement all of the above and I really hope they do. I believe that WebOS is a great OS but an OS is no good if the apps suck!!!
    I will be certainly looking to get Microsoft's new OS...
    you do realize that the new winmo os wont have cut and paste right?
    hd2 = t-mobile
    where i live that = paper weight

good luck
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    you do realize that the new winmo os wont have cut and paste right?
    who said anything about Windows Phone 7? I am planning to buy a new device in 2011 and then I will see what the market has to offer. The only platform that at the moment doesn't come in question is Android...

The HTC HD2 runs Windows Mobile 6.5 which always had many performance issues, but not this time. HTC has created a fantastic experience and the device is really a joy to use.
    Agree with you on the very very weak calendar. It's like 3 steps back from PalmOS.
    I am holding out for an Agendues for WebOS though. There's always hope! In the meantime I have my Treo Pro.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    hd2 = t-mobile
    where i live that = paper weight

good luck
    Here in Germany the device is unlocked, so there is no problem.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast