View Poll Results: Would you stay with the Pre if you were me, or go for the HD2?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre! WebOS rocks!

121 91.67%
  • HTC HD2. The hardware is really amazing

11 8.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Blah, blah, blah, another long winded post that I do not need to read.
    Then why did you read? The Pre community is becoming so immature when people like complain about some posts but find the time to read them and post rude responses. To all the posters like you I say, GROW UP, DON'T READ A POST IF YOU THINK YOU WOULD REACT LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD. Enough said!
    you cant go, we need ur support. palm is kinda in a pickle right now and that is the last thing that we need right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    oh and just so you know about it ,next week or so a patch that runs the processor at either 720 or 800 whichever you prefer lol and man it is fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patch for this patch for that you end up having 50 patches for what your phone should already do.... Let the guy have his last word before he leaves don't hatem for it
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Blah, blah, blah, another long winded post that I do not need to read.
    so hwy did you ?
    I actually switched from an HD2 to the pre. There are several reasons why:

1. The HD2 Screen while beautiful is very inaccurate, over sensitive and often spazzes out clicking all over the screen.
    2. The software on the HD2 looks good but isn't really that great. It's sluggish and it takes a lot to do anything.
    3. The keyboard is plain rubbish. If you can type on it then go for it but i would try the phone out first. This was the deciding factor for me, i send a lot of texts and the keyboard coupled with the crappy messaging app really let it down.

The phone was excellent apart from these problems, the web browser insanely fast and the screen awesome for viewing pages. However I could not solve these problems no matter what ROM version I used.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Then why did you read? The Pre community is becoming so immature when people like complain about some posts but find the time to read them and post rude responses. To all the posters like you I say, GROW UP, DON'T READ A POST IF YOU THINK YOU WOULD REACT LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD. Enough said!
    Thanks for that! I was about to post the same thing
    Pretty sure people are just reacting to mostly the tone, especially with "Probably my last post here". While you definitely have raised a couple good points, I can see how people are sick of "I'm getting rid of my Pre"-type posts as well.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is, if you need that sort of stuff in your calendar, the Pre just can't do it now. You could always send them an email for feature requests, but who knows how long it'll take for that to be incorporated. If you can do without it, then maybe you can stick with the Pre, but if you can't, as it sounds like you can't, then unfortunately there's nothing else that can be done.
    you still here
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Pretty sure people are just reacting to mostly the tone, especially with "Probably my last post here". While you definitely have raised a couple good points, I can see how people are sick of "I'm getting rid of my Pre"-type posts as well.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is, if you need that sort of stuff in your calendar, the Pre just can't do it now. You could always send them an email for feature requests, but who knows how long it'll take for that to be incorporated. If you can do without it, then maybe you can stick with the Pre, but if you can't, as it sounds like you can't, then unfortunately there's nothing else that can be done.
    I have sent them feedback three months ago...

I admit that the thread title wasn't good. I should change it...
    I would stay with the Pre. The HD2 has awesome hardware, but it is officially running dead software. Winmo 6.5 will not be advanced any further. MS has moved on to WM7S and the new OS doesn't support any of the old apps.

If you really want to jump ship, wait to see what the supersonic brings. It should have more or less the same hardware as the HD2, but sport android, which is a much better platform than Winmo 6.5, at least IMO.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I would stay with the Pre. The HD2 has awesome hardware, but it is officially running dead software. Winmo 6.5 will not be advanced any further. MS has moved on to WM7S and the new OS doesn't support any of the old apps.

If you really want to jump ship, wait to see what the supersonic brings. It should have more or less the same hardware as the HD2, but sport android, which is a much better platform than Winmo 6.5, at least IMO.
    Android's Exchange support is bad. I won't even consider Android devices because of that.
    I really haven't made up my mind here. On one side I like my Pre, despite its weaknesses, and on the other hand I am really tempted by the likes of the HD2
  12.    #52  
    After a lot of thought, I decided to give Palm some love. I canceled my HD2 order and decided to keep the Pre at least till October/November. I hope that Palm does bring new and improved hardware...
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    After a lot of thought, I decided to give Palm some love. I canceled my HD2 order and decided to keep the Pre at least till October/November. I hope that Palm does bring new and improved hardware...
    congrats
    Your story, petvas, supports my opinion. I believe one of Palm's biggest mistakes, maybe the fatal one, is that they forgot their roots, PIM (Personal Information Management) - Calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, e-mail. I think there are two types of smartphone users -- the PIM users, whose priority is the PIM, but really like the other stuff too -- web browsing, music playing, game playing, book reading. The other type are those who go for all the other stuff, and PIM really a secondary consideration.

For the most part, you seem to be of the first type: the PIM user (although you don't mention tasks and notes). But it sounds like your biggest disappointment with WebOS is the weak PIM apps. Would you even consider going back to WinMo if WebOS had great calendar and contact management?

Unlike you, I came to WebOS with a history of PalmOS devices and simply took it for granted that since it had the Palm logo, of course, it would excel at PIM. I think there are a lot of people like me. Sadly, with WebOS, they've lost their way. Don't get me wrong -- I love the UI and the browser. But I'm really disappointed in the PIM apps.

I think Palm needs to win back their base, the PIM users, but continue to gain followers of the other type, for whom the PIM is a secondary consideration.

I don't think it's too late for Palm. But they need to get back to their core -- PIM. I want to see WebOS version 2 have a truly integrated PIM system--Calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, e-mail. And revise the SDK to support it, so developers can build on it.
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 03/21/2010 at 08:37 AM.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    Your story, petvas, supports my opinion. I believe one of Palm's biggest mistakes, maybe the fatal one, is that they forgot their roots, PIM (Personal Information Management) - Calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, e-mail. I think there are two types of smartphone users -- the PIM users, whose priority is the PIM, but really like the other stuff too -- web browsing, music playing, game playing, book reading. The other type are those who go for all the other stuff, and PIM really a secondary consideration.

For the most part, you seem to be of the first type: the PIM user (although you don't mention tasks and notes). But it sounds like your biggest disappointment with WebOS is the weak PIM apps. Would you even consider going back to WinMo if WebOS had great calendar and contact management?

Unlike you, I came to WebOS with a history of PalmOS devices and simply took it for granted that since it had the Palm logo, of course, it would excel at PIM. I think there are a lot of people like me. Sadly, with WebOS, they've lost their way. Don't get me wrong -- I love the UI and the browser. But I'm really disappointed in the PIM apps.

I think Palm needs to win back their base, the PIM users, but continue to gain followers of the other type, for whom the PIM is a secondary consideration.

I don't think it's too late for Palm. But they need to get back to their core -- PIM. I want to see WebOS version 2 have a truly integrated PIM system--Calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, e-mail. And revise the SDK to support it, so developers can build on it.
    I think you pretty much nailed it. My ideal phone should do some things great:
    • Calendar
    • Tasks
    • Notes
    • Email
    • Internet Browsing

It should also do a decent job with the following:
    • Music
    • Photos
    • Podcasts

If you examine the Pre, it does a horrible job as a PIM, works very good as a browser (but not great because of the screen estate), does Email good. It also does a decent job with Music, Photos and Podcasts.
    The problem is that no OS is perfect. All touchscreen OSes that require no stylus have something in common: They are built with simplicity on their mind, because advanced options and functions do not have any place on an interface that is made for our fingers...Apple has started that and they had success (since a lot of people fall in the typical consumer scenarios) and Google and Palm followed. Microsoft was the last one who decided to follow, abandoning an OS that wasn't bad, but wasn't optimized for finger operation. Microsoft didn't really have a choise...

I would love to see an OS that offers strong PIM programs, however I do not believe there is a chance we are going to see it anytime soon. Windows Phone 7 has a very weak SDK that doesn't allow PIM access (confirmed by Alex Kac of WebIS Solutions), the Android has no Exchange support, WebOS has the worst calendar and tasks programs available and Apple also doesn't offer any PIM access via its SDK...
    If you really think about it the only good option here is Windows Mobile 6.5
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    Good choice, I hope some of the good responds helped you and I am glad you did not respond to the immature ones. The way I see is this: WebOS is very young OS but matturing rapidly, if you see its potential you should stick with it but no one should blame you if you chose another phone because you need somethin this phone currently does not offer, good luck to u
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    It is sad that a poster can't express their views and opinions without being blasted by other users.
    petvas, thanks for your opinions.
  18.    #58  
    It is also interesting to see what another community things about it:
    Which moblie device is best for me - Neowin Forums

I created that thread also and the results are interesting so far. It goes to show how much attractive the Palm Pre really is..
    WebOS on a 3.5'' screen (or higher) would save Palm as long as they let someone else do the hardware.

Plus it goes to show ow exclusivity deals hurt them more than anything else. If the Pre had launched on Sprint/VZW/AT&T simultaneously they would be in a better position.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    WebOS on a 3.5'' screen (or higher) would save Palm as long as they let someone else do the hardware.

Plus it goes to show ow exclusivity deals hurt them more than anything else. If the Pre had launched on Sprint/VZW/AT&T simultaneously they would be in a better position.
    Palm should release WebOS devices worldwide! Look now in how many countries it is being sold...This is ridiculous. If Palm cannot manage that, then sorry but they should let someone else do the job...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast