View Poll Results: How many of you would rather be IGNORANT of the stock prices, esp on the PC Front Pg

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think we should get ONE stock update a DAY on the front page.

13 13.00%
  • I think we should get ONE stock updates a WEEK on the front page.

5 5.00%
  • I think we should get TWO stock updates a WEEK on the front page.

5 5.00%
  • I think we should get ONE stock updates a MONTH on the front page.

3 3.00%
  • I think we should get TWO stock updates a MONTH on the front page.

1 1.00%
  • I think we should only get RADICAL stock updates, in excess of +/- 20% for one day.

18 18.00%
  • I think we should only get RADICAL stock updates, in excess of +/- 25% for one day.

7 7.00%
  • I think we should NEVER show NEGATIVE stock updates. Don't we want marketshare to GROW?

6 6.00%
  • I think we should NEVER show ANY stock updates EVAR! Stocks aren't THAT in tune with reality anyway.

6 6.00%
  • I honestly could not care less.

46 46.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm just curious if you think there should be limits to posting stock "downgrades" in any one week, month, or whatever...

Is PALM stock so important to you that you'd rather not attract potential n00bies to the webOS platform, instead preferring to flash "the sky is falling" at least once or twice a week on the P|C Front Page??!?!??
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think it should update in real-time.
    I'm starting to worry about your well-being, grndslm.
    Did you have to say... FLASH? That's a pretty sensitive word around here.

Anyways... what do you expect? With Palms reporting and the analysts reporting/downgrades/opinions... it's just what's current and being discussed on the forum. By next week it'll be last weeks news and people will be talking about the actual phone again.

I think you're just a little jealous that your huge rant on mic api is not getting much attention where did that thing go anyways.... page 9? 10?
    idk theres no reason to focus on the stock market to make a decision such as buying a phone, however on this note, i think with it being as low as it is im gonna buy some stock, the highest price was at about 18 bucks so with like ten stocks you can make a little gain so why not.
    As a stockholder, I prefer not to be ignorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    As a stockholder, I prefer not to be ignorant.
    +1

The more I know, the happier I am.
    being ignorant is not equal to not giving a crap... If I had shaes in palm I would probably pay attention to the stock and discuss things like this in the palm form... I certainly wouldn't be making annoying threads with blasphemous polls in the pre device forum.

try here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-general-chat/
    Censoring bad information about Palm and WebOS is not going to help either. I don't beleive this site is hosted in China.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Censoring bad information about Palm and WebOS is not going to help either. I don't beleive this site is hosted in China.
    Censorship means government prohibiting the publication/broadcast of something. That's what they do in China.

Being selective in what one publishes on one's own site is not censorship. Rather, it's called freedom of speech. Now, I'm not saying P|C should avoid publishing bad news, but if they do it's nothing like what they do in China.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Here? I don't see a whole lot of point to it, since the majority of thread starters either don't own Palm stock, their whole investment is a single product, or don't understand how fast the stock market moves.

Those who own stock, and want to know if their investment is still good know reliable sources for that info. If I want up to date, reliable info on the stocks I do hold, I don't go to a fan-based forum for my info. That's actually the last place I would go, the info will be skewed too badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think it should update in real-time.
    +1

grndslm - Why are there not any extreme left or right options in your poll?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Censorship means government prohibiting the publication/broadcast of something. That's what they do in China.

Being selective in what one publishes on one's own site is not censorship. Rather, it's called freedom of speech. Now, I'm not saying P|C should avoid publishing bad news, but if they do it's nothing like what they do in China.
    One reason governments (including China) censor the publication of certain information because they want to suppress negative information about that government. Some posters on this forum want to suppress all negative information about Palm and WebOS. The motivations are the same and the results would be too if the owners of Pre-Central decided to follow the "advice" of Palm's more rabid fans.
    One reason governments (including China) censor the publication of certain information because they want to suppress negative information about that government. Some posters on this forum want to suppress all negative information about Palm and WebOS. The motivations are the same and the results would be too if the owners of Pre-Central decided to follow the "advice" of Palm's more rabid fans.
    That's going way outside the scope of the OP's poll. Nobody said a word about censoring ALL negative info (or positive, for that matter, we have a pretty even mix here), since no poor feedback on problems means those who may run into that problem later on won't know how to fix it.

The question is regarding stock info, which I feel is irrelevant here. Maybe 10% of us here have any knowledge of the stock market, various options, and what the numbers mean. They just see the averages and get panicked or angry, without knowing any background, history, statistical trends, no knowledge of the direct competition's pricing........as I said, if you want good investment advice, there are stock market specific sites that will allow you to get that info without a biased opinion, which we seem to be getting here.

Gizmodo writers know very little about the stock market, yet we seem to be basing all our opinions lately on that one dumb article written by an intern.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This whole forum is getting a weird "end of days" religious cult feeling to it.
    What I would really like is if users, and failing that Mods, would make sure that threads like this and the stock price ones and the 'Palm is doomed' ones are placed where they belong in General Palm Chat. Then I would not even see them.

If it's not going to help me get the most out of my Pre, I don't give a sh**.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    That's going way outside the scope of the OP's poll. Nobody said a word about censoring ALL negative info (or positive, for that matter, we have a pretty even mix here), since no poor feedback on problems means those who may run into that problem later on won't know how to fix it.
    Plenty of posters in other threads have suggested suppressing negative information about Palm or the Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    The question is regarding stock info, which I feel is irrelevant here. Maybe 10% of us here have any knowledge of the stock market, various options, and what the numbers mean. They just see the averages and get panicked or angry, without knowing any background, history, statistical trends, no knowledge of the direct competition's pricing........as I said, if you want good investment advice, there are stock market specific sites that will allow you to get that info without a biased opinion, which we seem to be getting here.

Gizmodo writers know very little about the stock market, yet we seem to be basing all our opinions lately on that one dumb article written by an intern.
    Another old pro-censorship argument, the people will not understand.
    You may feel the Palm stock price is irrelevant, others do not. They are right and you are wrong.

A dramatically dropping stock price is the market's vote of no confidence in the management of Palm. The more extreme analysts have suggested that the stock is worth $0. This means they are going on the record with their believe Palm is heading for bankruptcy court.

This is not good for investors in Palm stock of course but it is also not good for anyone who owns a Palm device or anyone investing in applications development for Web-OS.

Even worse from the perspective of companies developing mobile applications are the inventory and sell through numbers. What they basically say is Android has beaten out WebOS as the number three smartphone platform in the US.

Currently by market share its Blackberry > Apple > Android > WebOS.
    By developer mindshare its probably Apple > Android > Blackberry > WebOS or
    Apple > Blackberry > Android > WebOS. The more corporate or messaging focused your app is the more likely you are to focus on BB rather than Android as your second platform. Apple policies are of course the wildcard. For example Google Voice apps are available for Android and the Blackberry OS but not Apple.

Its ironic that with the PDK, Palm finally has a viable SDK for commercial developer though the seem to still have someway to go in the polishing dept. However, even if commercial developers do abandon the platform, the PDK will make life much easier for the homebrew crowd.
    Warren Buffet says..."Buy low, sell high".
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasley1951 View Post
    Warren Buffet says..."Buy low, sell high".
    Warren Buffet also does his due diligence and buys "quality" companys.
    He wouldnt touch Palm with a ten foot stylus... or something like that
    Plenty of posters in other threads have suggested suppressing negative information about Palm or the Pre.

Another old pro-censorship argument, the people will not understand.
    You may feel the Palm stock price is irrelevant, others do not. They are right and you are wrong.
    Wait......what?

That makes absolutely no sense. If anything, you just argued more for censorship than I did...........n't.................I said I feel we don't need it here, on the premier Palm fan site/info site, as it doesn't help anything in any legitimate way by falling strictly on poor info, yet it's wrong for me to feel that way, so I shouldn't vote for "no", or voice my opinion on it?

Nobody is wrong here. If its an opinion thread, asking for an opinion vote based on what I feel is my idea of right............man.

And yes, in this instance, I'm right. Ask a more specific question, on how well the understanding of stocks is here. Mine isn't that good, that's why I trust my retirement investments to a professional. I'd fail miserably if I tried to do it myself.

It's an open vote. My opinion, which may or may not be popular, was expressed. I did not state fact that it should not be allowed here. That's not my decision, that's entirely up to the forum network owners and their views. Opinion isn't wrong, its just not shared by everybody. If it were, we'd be so heavily censored it'd be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Is PALM stock so important to you that you'd rather not attract potential n00bies to the webOS platform, instead preferring to flash "the sky is falling" at least once or twice a week on the P|C Front Page??!?!??
    Apparently, based on the original poster's question, you're gunning to have Palm fail. I'm shooting for an open forum that might occasionally bring up stock performance if it's a critical issue for stockholders, but doesn't deter even more potential Pre and Pixi buyers whos purchase of the product could actually improve stock performance. You're on a Pre site that tries to support Palm........doesn't that suggest to you that, if you're one who voted for RADICAL postings, you're actively trying to kill the brand you like?
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/21/2010 at 09:40 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast