Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1.    #1  
    If true, this answers the question of what Palm's doing to deal with that excess inventory: Palm (NASDASQ: PALM) Announces Plans to Halt Production of Pre and Pixi Models - American Banking News

    The next question logically becomes: if they halt production of the Pre/Pixi, will production pick up with their replacement? Really, in a sense, maybe this will all be cathartic for Palm: it gives them the perfect opportunity to introduce the next generation without worrying about cannibalizing sales of the Pre/Pixi. I mean, really, there pretty much aren't that many sales to worry about.

    Then, when they've hopefully gotten some buzz and traction with the new device, carriers could blow out the existing inventory to bargain hunters who want the apps but don't want to pay full price for the next gen device.

    The big assumption here, of course, is that Palm is anywhere close to introducing said next gen device. If they're not, then they'll have to do some miraculous selling to clear out this inventory so they can start marking and selling new first gen product. If they can't, then their 4th quarter projection might have actually been optimistic.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  2. #2  
    here's hoping!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  3. #3  
    As much as I'd love to see a new gen device on sprint for a while first, it will be best for Palm to release the next gen on all carriers as the same time. Or at least with a set schedule a few weeks apart, even if the Sprint device is WiMax ready, in fact LTE is so close to WiMax it would be nifty if they would release a WiMax/LTE supported phone that is fully 4g ready across the board
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    As much as I'd love to see a new gen device on sprint for a while first, it will be best for Palm to release the next gen on all carriers as the same time. Or at least with a set schedule a few weeks apart, even if the Sprint device is WiMax ready, in fact LTE is so close to WiMax it would be nifty if they would release a WiMax/LTE supported phone that is fully 4g ready across the board
    I think Palm could easily get away with releasing a non-4G device. In fact, I'd rather see them release a next gen device on all carriers at once than just a WiMax device on Sprint.

    But, sure, a multi-4G device that's ready for either WiMax or LTE would be awesome. I just don't know how realistic such a thing might be.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. #5  
    it's needs to be at least 4G on sprint and then 3G for the other carriers. Palm has to at least keep up with the specs of other phones on the same carriers. If they can have better specs that would be a plus.
  6. #6  
    Unfortunately, it looks like these chips are still about a year away:

    Beceem Intros Combo WiMax/LTE Chipset (Phone Scoop)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    Unfortunately, it looks like these chips are still about a year away:

    Beceem Intros Combo WiMax/LTE Chipset (Phone Scoop)
    Not unfortunate, exactly. Just means that nobody can release such a device, so Palm's in the clear on that one.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #8  
    I wouldnt waste my money on a WIMAX Sprint phone if I were palm at this point. Look what sprint DIDNT do for Palm and your gonna waste more money on them?

    Kill the pixi and come out with a iphone form factor WebOS Palm.

    I know many of you love the Pre form factor and nothing wrong with it... But do you see how the Hero just kills the Pre in sales and it's got more dated hw specs and an ok OS?

    My co-worker dropped his Hero in the water and ordered a replacement and when asking me for suggestions because he did feel it sucked in performance against my iphone or my other co-workers Droid, I did make him aware of the Pre and showed him that overclocked video where it was flying.

    He went with another Hero.

    Besides performance, his hero was a solid phone in whats becoming a "standard" form factor. If palm comes out with a new phone in this form factor for Verizon and ATT, it will be a very good sell.
  9. #9  
    It made sense they stop production... they basically have another years worth of Pres and Pixis right? And I didnt think they could spend money on a new phone with the burn rate they were going at so this should help.

    So i am thinking... KILL THE PRE TOO!

    really... you can still keep selling Pre and Pixi for another year with inventory. and if you only have one bullet left in the gun just go for it with an iphone form factor phone and go for broke. the form factor should be MUCH solid and reliable than the current and you basically go head to head... OS vs OS and apps vs apps.

    FIGHT!
  10. rawvega's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I wouldnt waste my money on a WIMAX Sprint phone if I were palm at this point. Look what sprint DIDNT do for Palm and your gonna waste more money on them?
    That would be unwise. They need a killer phone with something to distinguish it. Having 4G capability could be that differentiator. Besides what didn't Sprint do for Palm?

    Well at least VZW is treating them better...Oh that's right, every time you walking into a VZW store they try to ram a Droid down your throat.

    I know many of you love the Pre form factor and nothing wrong with it... But do you see how the Hero just kills the Pre in sales and it's got more dated hw specs and an ok OS?
    But more importantly it has the Google name attached to it....BTW what are the exact sales figures for the Hero vs. the Pre?

    really... you can still keep selling Pre and Pixi for another year with inventory. and if you only have one bullet left in the gun just go for it with an iphone form factor phone and go for broke. the form factor should be MUCH solid and reliable than the current and you basically go head to head... OS vs OS and apps vs apps.
    Sorry, but nobody can win by trying to out-Apple, Apple. And trying to go apps vs. apps, Palm is already at a significant disadvantage.
  11. pretext's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    #11  
    Here's my question. We know that palm is working on a new device, but do you think it will be rushed due to the situation that the company is in to try and save them, and maybe have the same problems as the pre?
  12. #12  
    Has anyone ever release a new high feature phone on the big three carriers at the same time?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    It made sense they stop production... they basically have another years worth of Pres and Pixis right? And I didnt think they could spend money on a new phone with the burn rate they were going at so this should help.

    So i am thinking... KILL THE PRE TOO!
    Um, the phones are already dead....expired....dearly departed....or, as I tried to tell some people some time ago here....

    Toast. They have a year's worth of inventory of last generation phones. Even if they magically ramp up how to sell them, these are the equivalent of Big Lots Closeouts and will forever have that stink associated with the name Pre and Pixi. And even if they didn't, they will be ancient devices by the time Palm is able to make more.

    Palm never had to kill either the Pre or the Pixi. The market did it for them, although in the Pixi's case, I suspect it was DOA to market.

    Let's embrace what is still thriving - WebOS - and hope for the best. It's all anyone can do now.
  14. #14  
    4G phone on the sprint network... again to a smaller network... again a waste of their limited money when they need to go for as much exposure as possible. sprint will only get you so many sales... we've seen that already.

    what has sprint not do? they didnt push the pre like verizon pushed the droid. yes... palm half baked and no app store for the longest time. but you can see sprint pushed started losing faith in palm very early and you could see no longer a flagship model, if ever.

    the hard reality is even though they try to say they are not competing with apple (just to save face for poor sales really)... you are selling a smartphone... you are competing in the same space apple is. not really trying to out apple apple... with tens of MILLIONS of iphones out there, apple has shown the full touchscreen is accepted and sells and is becoming the standard... so to attract the widest audience, you come out with a full touchscreen form factor form but running your webOS and have your apps and you give it your best shot.

    you wont sell tens of millions like apple but hero sales seem to be good for sprint and droid sales seems good for verizon and if the pre really is a better phone than both then they should be able to outsell both of those combined which will be lots better than what they can do with pre and pixi. and a better chance to survive.

    if you think that's trying to out apple apple then its a lost cause and its just a matter of time before the stock goes $0.

    Quote Originally Posted by rawvega View Post
    That would be unwise. They need a killer phone with something to distinguish it. Having 4G capability could be that differentiator. Besides what didn't Sprint do for Palm?

    Well at least VZW is treating them better...Oh that's right, every time you walking into a VZW store they try to ram a Droid down your throat.



    But more importantly it has the Google name attached to it....BTW what are the exact sales figures for the Hero vs. the Pre?



    Sorry, but nobody can win by trying to out-Apple, Apple. And trying to go apps vs. apps, Palm is already at a significant disadvantage.
  15. #15  
    a moment of silence please for the pre and pixi...

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Um, the phones are already dead....expired....dearly departed....or, as I tried to tell some people some time ago here....

    Toast. They have a year's worth of inventory of last generation phones. Even if they magically ramp up how to sell them, these are the equivalent of Big Lots Closeouts and will forever have that stink associated with the name Pre and Pixi. And even if they didn't, they will be ancient devices by the time Palm is able to make more.

    Palm never had to kill either the Pre or the Pixi. The market did it for them, although in the Pixi's case, I suspect it was DOA to market.

    Let's embrace what is still thriving - WebOS - and hope for the best. It's all anyone can do now.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pretext View Post
    Here's my question. We know that palm is working on a new device, but do you think it will be rushed due to the situation that the company is in to try and save them, and maybe have the same problems as the pre?
    I would hope that they would have learned their lesson with the Pre. The Pre's worst hardware problem was the loose slider, which I think was mostly caused by the curved mechanism. Personally, I think they should make a device that is a bit bigger than the Pre that has a straight slider. Make it a bit more rectangular and less like a river stone. Give it a bigger screen and, hell, why not, a brushed aluminum or carbon fiber shell.
  17. rawvega's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    4G phone on the sprint network... again to a smaller network... again a waste of their limited money when they need to go for as much exposure as possible. sprint will only get you so many sales... we've seen that already.
    Apparently Verizon will only get you so many sales too. We're seeing that now. Sorry, but you really can't put all of this debacle on Sprint. Until the Hero/Moment came around, they were really only pushing the Pre as they had little else. Palm did themselves (and Sprint) no favors with the Borg Queen marketing strategy.

    Verizon isn't going to push webOS to detriment of the Droid. At&t isn't going to push webOS to the detriment of the iPhone. Sprint wants to push 4G. I don't think it matters much to them if it comes from HTC, Palm or whoever. I'm certainly not saying not to release phones to VZW or at&t (and where's webOS on t-mobile?), but releasing a 4G phone on Sprint would be a way to stand out.
  18. rawvega's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Personally, I think they should make a device that is a bit bigger than the Pre that has a straight slider. Make it a bit more rectangular and less like a river stone. Give it a bigger screen and, hell, why not, a brushed aluminum or carbon fiber shell.
    Not bad, not bad at all.
  19. rawvega's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    #19  
    BTW if they have a glut of inventory that Sprint and VZW don't want or need at the moment, why don't they give them a flash and release them to US Cellular and Cellular South? That'll only get you so many sales of course, but in the predicament they're in, every bit helps.
  20. #20  
    Ummm, has anyone seen this story confirmed anywhere besides this one story? I figured many tech sites would be all over this, and yet I can't find a single other mention outside of the site linked here.

    Any chance this is some random guy combining the month-old production stop stories from the Chinese new year with the earnings report from this week, and fabricating an entirely new story?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions