Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
  1. #21  
    if this news are true , it is a right option now. It doesn´t mean Palm will stop as a company. Maybe after selling left inventory a new device will come.

    Palm should sell some stocks to worldwide carriers to push them together Palm devices at the same time. Would they be interested?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rawvega View Post
    BTW if they have a glut of inventory that Sprint and VZW don't want or need at the moment, why don't they give them a flash and release them to US Cellular and Cellular South? That'll only get you so many sales of course, but in the predicament they're in, every bit helps.
    cause they are not palms, they are the carriers. Which won't be happy tto be holding onto them as their advantage vanishes as a new webos device is debut...
  3. #23  
    Yep. That first step is huge; Admitting you have a problem. It's especially hard for a company, but jeez, how dumb have Palm's decisions been?

    ALL of the issues they needed to address have been right here in plain sight on internet forums since DAY ONE, served up on a silver platter, for free.

    It just seems so inconceivable that they apparently didn't have ANYONE(?), any TEAM, and GROUP, in charge of triage; recognizing, prioritizing, addressing, and repairing the MOST SERIOUS problems from the start.

    Why was Palm wasting time in the first month post-launch, for example, swapping a bell icon for a speaker icon in the phone app, creating a digital and an analog display of the clock, and enabling sound for NFL games? Even if it only took someone a few minutes to whip up the code for such changes, why weren't those critical minutes spent reducing calendar lag, enabling copy/paste from web pages, and making so-called "universal search" actually function universally?

    What a shame it took all these months for Palm to officially recognize what many on Pre forums have been warning for so long...
  4. #24  
    I've already made my decision: After Palm releases their next phone, if I have to, I'll jump ship and pay Sprint's stupid ETF to get their next phone. As much as I'll hate it, webOS rocks, and I don't want to be on a dead-end phone for another year.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #25  
    What's the obsession with 4g? It's yet another thing along with multi-tasking that normal people don't care about or understand.
  6. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #26  
    The other thing is - If they are holding so much stock and they have stopped production - is the Pre (not the plus) actually end of life?

    Are they really going to ramp back up production of the pre as we head into 2011? I can't see it.
  7. #27  
    They must stop/pause production because they have 1.15M of unsold devices.

    Said that, they must have a new device ready, because this things aren't created in a matter of days. Obviously, the next movement is to release a new phone. The question is: in wich carrier?

    The answer is obvious: in the biggest one what doesn't have previous models.

    Forget Sprint and Verizon. The only answer is AT&T, but Palm must force AT&T to ensure the new model is a hit. Do you want a six months exclusivity period? Ok, but revised each month, and we need at least X units sold.
  8. #28  
    The Pre isn't so outdated. It can be on portfolio at least a year more. And Pixi Plus is a good device for some markets, but not only in the US.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I've already made my decision: After Palm releases their next phone, if I have to, I'll jump ship and pay Sprint's stupid ETF to get their next phone. As much as I'll hate it, webOS rocks, and I don't want to be on a dead-end phone for another year.

    I'm feeling the same way, but if its still on Sprint, just pay the $500 dollars for the newer device, instead of the ETF.

    I'm imagining now that maybe all this time they've devoted a lot of researchers to this (and other) forum and will be answering a lot of our prayers. Mostly everyone here has asked for a larger iphone like screen with better resolution, memory, battery, build quality. Perhaps they've been so tight lipped because they have something. I'm being cautiously optomisitic here, because I loooove my phone and I believe webOS has set new standards, but people just don't know it yet - due to bias and education.

    I really REALLY hope they announce something soon. Look on the bright side, at least he stopped devoting time and resources with re-establishing iTunes connectivity. Because look where that got them - nowhere...
  10. #30  
    I am seriously confused. What I took away from the numbers were that 400,000 were sold last quarter vs. 900,000 shipped. Which would mean Sprint has sold 90% of those 'sold' phones. But what I am confused about, is when listening to Engadget's podcast, it was as if they were under the impression that the 400,000 unit sales were total from day one. Did I misunderstand or is Engadget wrong? BTW, Engadget was far from bashing Palm.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  11. #31  
    @meltedwire: I was pondering the same thing. Didn't we already establish that Palm had sold a million phones sometime last year? The 400k number was just from last quarter correct? And I'm not talking about selling to carriers... but to customers.
  12. #32  
    dcoaster, ya I was sure Palm had sold over a million too, but then I kept thinking how every quarter PC kept saying that Palm would not release sales numbers. So when I was listening to Engadget, I started thinking "No that can't be true, if so this IS really bad". But if the wording is correct in all these articles it is only quarterly sales.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    They must stop/pause production because they have 1.15M of unsold devices.

    Said that, they must have a new device ready, because this things aren't created in a matter of days. Obviously, the next movement is to release a new phone. The question is: in wich carrier?

    The answer is obvious: in the biggest one what doesn't have previous models.

    Forget Sprint and Verizon. The only answer is AT&T, but Palm must force AT&T to ensure the new model is a hit. Do you want a six months exclusivity period? Ok, but revised each month, and we need at least X units sold.
    As Frank used to say "Use your mentality, wake up to reality", Palm is in no position to force anyone to do anything, they are not a super-brand like Apple who can dictate terms to the sales channels, they are a company negotiating from a position of weakness.

    The conversation is not going to be "we need at least X units sold", it's going to be "please take more units..please...".
  14. #34  
    their new phone has to come out every where at the same time. But it has to have a wimax and webos has to get a full overdrive because android just looks to good
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    @meltedwire: I was pondering the same thing. Didn't we already establish that Palm had sold a million phones sometime last year? The 400k number was just from last quarter correct? And I'm not talking about selling to carriers... but to customers.
    I think Engadget had it completely wrong (I heard that in their podcast as well). The Pre has been on sale for just over three quarters now, and the highest quarter sales were in Palm's Q1 of their fiscal year (July-Sep). And, the Pixi went on sale in their Q2. I'd say they've probably sold closer to 1.5 million total. Problem is, in the last quarter (Q3 of their fiscal year), at least, they seriously overestimated demand given the Verizon launch and so made 500K more than they needed.

    And, I"m somewhat confused by the 1.15 million backlogged units number, because that would mean that they overestimated demand two full quarters (at least) in a row, and by even more units. It's entirely possible that the analyst throwing out such huge inventory numbers is wrong, or there's a mix there with international GSM and CDMA units that we don't know about.

    Ultimately, I think everyone has the real numbers wrong, which is why I wish Palm would just come out with a statement given the specifics. Better or worse, at least people would know the real situation, and I'm a bit surprised that shareholders aren't demanding the numbers. I know I would be if I owned any shares.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. #36  
    "Mobile device manufacturer Palm (NASDAQ: PALM) has announced that it is putting its popular Pre and Pixi models on a production halt until it can sell of its current inventory. " It is true?

    I am checking on this, but as far as I know, it's not true.

    Lynn Fox, VP of PRPRPR $for$ $Palm$ ($Formspring$ $me$)
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    As Frank used to say "Use your mentality, wake up to reality", Palm is in no position to force anyone to do anything, they are not a super-brand like Apple who can dictate terms to the sales channels, they are a company negotiating from a position of weakness.

    The conversation is not going to be "we need at least X units sold", it's going to be "please take more units..please...".
    Sorry, but you're wrong. It doesn't matter the financial status of Palm. The only thing that matters is if the device is a real killer. If it's, all the carriers will know it as soon as Palm introduces it. If the device is appealing, Palm is in a strong position. Any product that could hurt me is a product interesting for me.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    I'm feeling the same way, but if its still on Sprint, just pay the $500 dollars for the newer device, instead of the ETF.

    I'm imagining now that maybe all this time they've devoted a lot of researchers to this (and other) forum and will be answering a lot of our prayers. Mostly everyone here has asked for a larger iphone like screen with better resolution, memory, battery, build quality. Perhaps they've been so tight lipped because they have something. I'm being cautiously optomisitic here, because I loooove my phone and I believe webOS has set new standards, but people just don't know it yet - due to bias and education.

    I really REALLY hope they announce something soon. Look on the bright side, at least he stopped devoting time and resources with re-establishing iTunes connectivity. Because look where that got them - nowhere...
    Yea if it's still on Sprint either I'll pay the retail price, or I'll have my mom or my dad use their "premier" upgrade to upgrade at 1 year. Actually I think it'll be cheaper to cancel and then open a new line wouldn't it? I'm sure they won't let you do that haha..
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Sorry, but you're wrong. It doesn't matter the financial status of Palm. The only thing that matters is if the device is a real killer. If it's, all the carriers will know it as soon as Palm introduces it. If the device is appealing, Palm is in a strong position. Any product that could hurt me is a product interesting for me.
    Wasn't the Palm Pre 'a real killer'? Are you saying that phone was actually a dud? A phone being a killer for a network has nothing to do with technical features, it has to be the potential for it selling units and getting people to sign contracts.

    The release of the Pre was a key moment because there was potential in the line, the sky was the limits - the situation is different now, WebOS is a platform that does not shift units. That could be for marketing, it could be for hardware, whatever - the bottom line for the carriers is the same - WebOS devices don't sell - Palm is now in a situation where it has to convince partners that this next device *will* sell.

    As for the financial situation not mattering, get real, the carriers know that Palm is desperate for a) sales and b) revenue and has just launched two device that have flopped, it can't afford a third, that gives them the whip-hand in any contractual negotiations.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    it's needs to be at least 4G on sprint and then 3G for the other carriers. Palm has to at least keep up with the specs of other phones on the same carriers. If they can have better specs that would be a plus.
    That's a great idea! Sprint should have a leg-up on other carriers, if they can manage a multiple-carrier launch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Has anyone ever release a new high feature phone on the big three carriers at the same time?
    Apple released the iPhone on multiple carriers at/or around the same time.

    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What's the obsession with 4g? It's yet another thing along with multi-tasking that normal people don't care about or understand.
    Sarcastically, its no more important than having GPS or applications on a phone. Realistically, its important to have those items and more on a pocket-computer (that's what we're dealing with).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions