1.    #1  
    Long story short: Phone gone, got phone back completely flashed, loaded palm profile successfully, all my photos missing, but most of the contact id photos were still showing up correctly.

Does anyone know where the contact ID photos are held on the pre? I believe I looked in every folder in USB mode (enabled show hidden folders) but couldnt find anything that looked like the photos. What id like to do is to get at those contact id photos somehow, and re-copy them into my photo folder again.

And if you were wondering, yes I searched.

Thanks everyone! Go WebOS!
    this happened to me as well and what i did was sync my phone with double twist and i found them that way, i then added the patch that help prevent the phone from adding new pictures under a already used file name.
    Also if your backing your contacts up via Gmail like I am the Gmail server keeps a copy of them although they are terribly low res. So when you sync back to gmail for contacts it pulls the photos back also.
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spascual View Post
    Long story short: Phone gone, got phone back completely flashed, loaded palm profile successfully, all my photos missing, but most of the contact id photos were still showing up correctly.

Does anyone know where the contact ID photos are held on the pre? I believe I looked in every folder in USB mode (enabled show hidden folders) but couldnt find anything that looked like the photos. What id like to do is to get at those contact id photos somehow, and re-copy them into my photo folder again.

And if you were wondering, yes I searched.

Thanks everyone! Go WebOS!
    Grays is correct. It sounds like you sync your contacts with a hosted provider (like Google, Yahoo, etc.). If so, the photos for the contacts were synced back with your hosted contacts, not from the Palm profile.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies everyone, but regrettably, syncing to a third party is not the case here.

I didnt, nor do I even know how to, sync anything with google, yahoo or doubletwist or whatever. Wish I did, but never got into that aspect of my phone just yet...and ive had it since the canadian launch! tsk tsk i know.

Simply put, the phone was gone, got it back flashed, then loaded the Palm profile when it asked me to. Some contact pictures are there (not all are saved, mostly the older ones are viewable and if that specific person calls, the contact id shows up great) but the actual corresponding picture thats supposed to be in Photos is not. Looking in the USB files, I could not find any photo files.

Just curious to know if I can rebuild the photo folder from those, but if not its not that big of a deal. Just more curious to see if I could get them back since I see them when people call anyways, thats all.

Thanks anyways!
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies everyone, but regrettably, syncing to a third party is not the case here.

I didnt, nor do I even know how to, sync anything with google, yahoo or doubletwist or whatever. Wish I did, but never got into that aspect of my phone just yet...and ive had it since the canadian launch! tsk tsk i know.

Simply put, the phone was gone, got it back flashed, then loaded the Palm profile when it asked me to. Some contact pictures are there (not all are saved, mostly the older ones are viewable and if that specific person calls, the contact id shows up great) but the actual corresponding picture thats supposed to be in Photos is not. Looking in the USB files, I could not find any photo files.

Just curious to know if I can rebuild the photo folder from those, but if not its not that big of a deal. Just more curious to see if I could get them back since I see them when people call anyways, thats all.

Thanks anyways!
    Do you happen to have (or have you had) one of the dialer apps installed on your phone? Those can also store contact photos. Also, you might even have some of your contacts synced with a cloud service and not even know it if, for example, you have a Google, Yahoo, etc. e-mail account and/or calendar on your phone. If you have either of these on the phone, the contacts for the account will automatically sync to the phone as well. If you can advise whether either of these two scenarios apply to you (1. you have or had a dialer app, 2. you have such an e-mail or calendar account on the phone), there might be hope to help you yet!
  7.    #7  
    Hi Ay,

Never used Google, Yahoo or any dialer/calendar apps...hahah i was one of the many that came to the Pre from the Palm Pilot days and always believed that Palm original apps were always best. I know I may be missing out, but I just never got around to investigating those new apps.

To confirm, I have never downloaded/installed anything with Google or Yahoo...I dont use the included email program (I just use the internet based hotmail to get my mail) and only use the included calendar program...im not that busy so I dont have too many entries on there...hahah gosh here I thought I was a power user!

Im assuming that the contact ID makes a copy of the picture in question, rather than just linking to it from the Photo Roll. What I would have liked to know is, are those contact ID copies accessible?

Again, I dont really mind if the original pics are gone...it just would have been nice to have, and I dont want to waste anyones extra time on here trying to investigate too much, where it can be better used promoting WebOS and its awesomeness!

Thanks again folks!
  8. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Hi Ay,

Never used Google, Yahoo or any dialer/calendar apps...hahah i was one of the many that came to the Pre from the Palm Pilot days and always believed that Palm original apps were always best. I know I may be missing out, but I just never got around to investigating those new apps.

To confirm, I have never downloaded/installed anything with Google or Yahoo...I dont use the included email program (I just use the internet based hotmail to get my mail) and only use the included calendar program...im not that busy so I dont have too many entries on there...hahah gosh here I thought I was a power user!

Im assuming that the contact ID makes a copy of the picture in question, rather than just linking to it from the Photo Roll. What I would have liked to know is, are those contact ID copies accessible?

Again, I dont really mind if the original pics are gone...it just would have been nice to have, and I dont want to waste anyones extra time on here trying to investigate too much, where it can be better used promoting WebOS and its awesomeness!

Thanks again folks!
    Sorry - can't help you there. I've never saved a single contact under the Palm profile. All my contacts have been synced to either an Exchange server or Google. I can say that it's likely that the Palm Profile saves the pictures for it's contacts to a non-user-accessible portion of the device drive (not the accessible USB partition), and, as such, you would be "SOL" in trying to reach that area of the drive. It would have been nice if that section of the drive had been fully backed up, but the problems Palm has had with proper back-ups has already been talked about to death in these forums Sorry - I think you're out of luck....
    I think they are saved to your palm profile somewhere in "the cloud"

One time I did a full erase on my pre and all photos and data were gone but my contacts still had their photo ids saved. I don't believe there is a way to access them. They are probably in a hidden folder somewhere that can't be messed with.