Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Have had a Palm in form or another since the III. I purchased a Pre yesterday and have a few questions.
    Is there an easier way to arrange icons on the 3 "home screens"?
    Is there a way to turn of notifications for email/sms and still keep the phone ringer on?
    Are there any programs recommended for turn by turn directions?
    This site has been great. I've learned about 'homebrew" and patches just this AM.
    Again it's good to be back with a healthy and reponsive forum!
    Jeff
    There are a couple patches if you download Preware that allow you to add/remove home screens. But you can click-hold and drag icons to rearrange them to your liking between screens and such.

Google maps actually works wonderfully for turn-by-turn directions most of the time, but it lacks voice. Sprint has great turn-by-turn, but I'm not a Verizon customer so I have no input for Verizon!

Also, I'm totally jealous of your phone. (I have a regular Pre)
    Last edited by zealster; 03/20/2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added
    Welcome and congrats on your new phone. I'm not sure about the notifications, but you can just drag the icons where you want them. There are also patches that will let you use more than 3 "home screens." As well as have more icons in veiw at once. I have 5 screens in a 4x4 view. As far as turn by turn, I find Google Maps is all the GPS I need. I do understand that others may need something more robust.

e_t

edit: zealster beat me to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by drj400m View Post
    Have had a Palm in form or another since the III. I purchased a Pre yesterday and have a few questions.
    Is there a way to turn of notifications for email/sms and still keep the phone ringer on?
    This site has been great. I've learned about 'homebrew" and patches just this AM.
    Jeff
    Welcome, hope you are enjoying the phone! Make sure you download Preware and Webos quickinstall

1. As stated above, just press hold and drag to rearrange icons...this works for the launcher bar at the bottom too! Preware has an excellent patch to add/remove launcher pages to spread out the apps a little more. You can also change to 4 or 5 icons per row as stated above
    2. Go into your email program, then preferences. For each account, you have the option of "show icon" and getting an alert. Go into the messaging app and go to preferences you have the same options.
    3. Turn by turn right now is limited to google or vz navigator on vz as far as I know (I have sprint, and sprint navigation is awesome and free -- or included I should say, so I haven't looked for much else)
    Jeff
    Welcome. Many of us are long-time palm users and even at this young age, Palm Pre has much of it's heritage in tact. Except for desktop sync, which you now have to do via a third party app.

Re-arranging icons is a pain, because you basically have to drag them I found that you drag everything to page two, then drag again to page 3. Someone needs to write a patch that lets us categorize icons so that will determine which page the start on, just like PalmOS used to do.

Turn-by-turn.... I use a Garmin Nuvi for that. The Pre screen is too smal IMHO. And, I prefer to have full access to my phone without hampering my ability to hear/see my GPS.

Other than that, Verizon will charge you $10 per month for theirs...
    cantaffordit there is a patch that does that for you named launcher pages patch you categorize and name your pages
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

Re-arranging icons is a pain, because you basically have to drag them I found that you drag everything to page two, then drag again to page 3. Someone needs to write a patch that lets us categorize icons so that will determine which page the start on, just like PalmOS used to do.
    You can drag across multiple pages...have done that several times without a problem!
    welcome to webos...
    there's a named pages patch...it allows you to name all ur pages and 'categorize' ur apps. After applying this patch... I find it easy to move apps by using the option key+tapping app of choice...pop up menu has options to delete along with drop down menu of all ur launcher pages...select which page you want ur icon on and tap on done.
    ever since 1.4 dropped...there is option to have separate notifications for all email and IM accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Closest substitute for that is the patch called "Named Pages in App Launcher". Allows you to move icons from one page to another quite easily: you do the orange+tap like you do to delete an app, and instead a prompt comes up to either delete the app or move it to a different page. Very easy. Just tap "Done" when finished. By default it goes to the 1st position (top row, far left) on whatever page you select so if you want it somewhere else you may need to drag it around a little bit on that page.

I also seem to have difficulties dragging icons from one page to the next, they never seem to go where I want them. Guess I don't have the dexterity I used to.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Welcome to the Best OS out there!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Well first time I have been to work with the Pre and the battery life here is great. I have no wifi, instant gmail and gps off.
    It's got to be the 3G signal at my house, don't you think?
    Jeff
    coverage at my house is weak, everything still works, but my battery drains faster... its nothing i cant live with tho... i love my pre
    Jeff
    Welcome to the world of webOS! There are patches for everything you would like to do, however IMO you should take you time and get to know your phone and the OS before jumping into homebrew, patches and tweeks.

If you are on Sprint, the Navigation app is excellent and free. I can't speak for the VZW version, and there is a monthly charge for it.

Enjoy your new phone. Good info here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation