Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I own a Palm Pre and have an Apple Touch,,,,when I first got the touch
    I went app crazy like everyone else ...until I realized....its a big waste of time.
    All that the public wants is good contact integration, Cloud integration and a few business apps. When ever the media compares phones they push the 20 million apps that I-phone has. I could care less that I dont have a freaking Level or fart meter. The Palm Pre is the perfect phone in my opinion....especially thanks to the Pre-Central folk I can custom it with a few killer apps. Does anyone here feel like they are app starved?

Kybd_plr
    We want selection. The app-catalog the pre has right now, has one, but not too much. And alot of the apps are a waste of space.. like those quote apps, or the sport apps for each team. Why not make it one app for all teams? Or one app with categories for the quotes?
    There are two aspects to this, I think.

First, the numbers are a (false) way of keeping score. Apple's App Store has 150,000 apps, so they're strongly in first place. The Android Marketplace has 30,000 apps, so they're in second place. and the Pre "only" has 2000 apps, so they're in last place. Doesn't matter that of the 150,000 iPhone/iPod apps, almost 30,000 are individually packaged ebooks, and another huge chunk are junk apps. And, it doesn't matter that Android has many, many very bad apps. Those numbers are easily reported and so they are.

Second, and more legitimately, there are a number of very good, very key apps that are only produced for the market leaders. They're the apps that show up first on the iPhone, and then on Android, and often there are no plans for webOS versions because it's perceived (rightly or wrongly) that there will be no return on investment. Those apps are a problem, because if you have a specific need and that need's not being met on a platform, then no matter how good that platform is it simply won't work for you.

There are probably enough categories like that with enough people that it has a real impact on sales. More likely, though, is that people who do only limited research on what's available hear the "150,000 vs. 30,000 vs. 2000" numbers and go with the "winner."
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    it's always the numbers game sadly. Even if for arguments sake only 10% of iphone apps are useful, that's still a lot more than available webos apps.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I don't get it either. To me, the more apps you have in your catalog, the more potential for absolute junk you have to wade thru. I think people should be more concerned about the popular apps being available for your platform, like Facebook, etc.

But just like many things, non-techy people want one easy metric. "Number of apps" is the equivalent of CPU clock speed for microprocessors and megapixels for cameras.
    The problem is what is being defined as an "application". An ebook is not an application. It is a data file used by an application. It should not be counted.
    Nor should "applications" that are nothing more than links to existing web pages. Those are hyperlinks or shortcuts, not applications.

As to those silly "fart applications"..well they are just a waste of bandwidth.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    The problem is what is being defined as an "application". An ebook is not an application. It is a data file used by an application. It should not be counted.
    Nor should "applications" that are nothing more than links to existing web pages. Those are hyperlinks or shortcuts, not applications.

As to those silly "fart applications"..well they are just a waste of bandwidth.
    But who cares as long as they sell - it's a sign of a successful platform that such apps exist.
    In the app and mobile platform space, quantity and quality are actually closer linked than people here want to admit.

These numbers aren't just a way of keeping score, but they represent critical mass, acceptance, and a vote of confidence in that platform. That, in turn, attracts developers. They, in turn, add to the numbers and you can see where this is going.

It's simply not possible to have some boutique designer app platform where you get the big names and MVP apps, yet filter out losers packaging books, quotes, and everything else they can turn around for a quick buck.
    Long time reader, first time poster. I was motivated to post after reading this:

Quote Originally Posted by wireguy View Post
    I own a Palm Pre and have an Apple Touch,,,,when I first got the touch
    I went app crazy like everyone else ...until I realized....its a big waste of time.
    In defense of apps, without the apps, all my iPhone is is a well made fancy phone. I can pick up any phone for calls and texts - but the apps are what makes it (for now) a must-have for me, and justifies the cost. Without the apps, there are literally dozens of phones for me to choose from, most of which would be cheaper.

Dragon Dictation so I can dictate, then send texts, without having to type; the mobile app versions of my favorite websites (NOT to be confused to links to those sites) like Wikipedia (WikiTap), SFGate, Huff Post, Woot, Yelp. I use I Heart Radio for picking up radio streaming from any where, MapMyFitness and FitDay to log my exercise and diet (which I used to have to remember or scribble down til I got home), and various sports channels for quick access to scores. I use FoxSports app daily, esp during March Madness. Ebay. Utah Ski Report for one screen access to all snow levels. Stock quotes. Facebook, of course.

I don't have a single fart app, I did download but have since deleted the "Level," I am not a gamer and could care less about quotes from books.

edited to add: I have no problem "sifting" through 150,000 apps, but I've never had a problem with searching. I just type a search term in and whatever I need shows up.
    Last edited by finngirl; 03/20/2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add info.
    The larger number of apps the larger the possibilities of a version that you like. Even if apple only has 2% worthwhile apps, that 2% is larger than the total number of apps available for the pre. Every app catalog has a search feature. I never understood why people make such a big deal of how many junk apps apple has, just do a specific search and your troubles are over.

Here is just one of the many app problems I ran into. I am looking for a good xbmx remote app. The droid has at least 2-3 good free ones that have been available for awhile. We have 1 that costs $4.00 which was just released and is no where as good as the one available for the droid. I find this to be a significant inconvenience.
    I only need a few apps to keep me happy when I have a phone that can text, IM(which I don't even do) call, surf the web and root for tons of customization. You really only need a few apps then. I could get away with only having preware and about 4 apps, one of which is just a flashlight. This changes, however, depends on what you use the phone for. If your just a silly teen ager with a few friends, you'll want apps for games, entertainment and social networks. The games are one place where the app market lacks. Card ace, quake and the emulators are good but aren't good enough to make up for how many good free games are on the Ipod touch and iphone and you don't have to root the ipod to get access to most of the good ones. Then you have the large blackberry app market and the longstanding reliability of it's phones. It almost seems that the pre and pixi are lost on the people who really want a lot of good free apps because of the viscous circle of no people, no apps, no people. They aren't willing to give it a chance either do to the reliability of blackberries, everything they've heard about the iphone and because every other word in a verison store is the name droid.
    Palm is ferret approved.
    My only problem with Pre (Web OS) is that none of the Excel or Word editing apps are there!!! And may be the bar code scanning apps... everything else is that I need is there...
    Quote Originally Posted by mluther View Post
    If your just a silly teen ager with a few friends, you'll want apps for games, entertainment and social networks. The games are one place where the app market lacks. Card ace, quake and the emulators are good but aren't good enough to make up for how many good free games are on the Ipod touch and iphone and you don't have to root the ipod to get access to most of the good ones.
    Hmmm you know a lot about the available games, I guess you are one of the 'silly teen ager with a few friends' you were mocking. Just in case you still don't realize, it's teenagers. Not even sure why you have a smart phone, seems like you need the functionality offered in most dumb phones.
    it's not about how many "apps". It's about how many "GOOD apps".

Look at facebook. On iPhone or WebOS there's essentially one great facebook app so the need for duplicates is unnecessary. But what about twitter apps? Each platform has dozens of twitter apps because nobody has a perfect one, so as a buyer then the more options the better chance at finding a match for your specific needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But who cares as long as they sell - it's a sign of a successful platform that such apps exist.
    I suppose you still consider Hamsterdance the pinnacle of the internet experience.................

I agree, there's too much emphasis placed on aftermarket applications, and far too little on the product itself. I run into that with computer work, far more often than I like. Its all about the games, and the fastest performance, but spending all your cash too soon on an underpowere lappie not made to handle that application. Hence the catchphrase "there's an app for that".
    Quote Originally Posted by wireguy View Post
    All that the public wants is good contact integration, Cloud integration and a few business apps. When ever the media compares phones they push the 20 million apps that I-phone has. I could care less that I dont have a freaking Level or fart meter.

Kybd_plr
    the public (as in non-power users) only cares about applications