Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Hey all,

I've been with palm since palm III through all the palm os treos. I've always loved the way palm did PIM. The forums and precentral are the best. The palm family has been great. Tried the pre and the PIM isn't near what is was on palm os, but loved the software, didn't care for slider. Got my wife a pixi and I've been waiting to get a pixi myself, but had hoped the PIM would improve and would get wifi on sprint. Now I'm having doubts about palm's future. They just seem to be missing the boat and don't seem to have resources to catch up. Webos is a better os than android, but android seems to be stepping up to the plate and getting it done. I'm thinking it may be worth giving up the best os for the advantages of android (even though there PIM isn't good either, they have a lot more apps that may work out)
    So, TWIST MY ARM SOME AND TALK ME INTO STAYING WITH PALM.
    I'm not quite sure what arm-twisting there is to be done. You seem fairly educated on the subject and should be able to determine for yourself which mobile platform is going to suit your needs.

If it is Palms future that is your main concern for joining their platform then I will put it to you this way: You will most likely be eligible for a phone upgrade by the time Palm goes bankrupt or is sold. Maybe you should just try the Pre/Pixi out for 30 days and see what you think. Either way, it's not like the phone you get now will be the last phone of your life.
    you'll be sorry when the next gen. pre or the palm 4g phone comes out in a few months and your stuck in a contract with some other dime a dozen phone !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    New products take awhile to catch on, Android took some time also. Be a little easier on Palm, they made a great product and now are taking steps to fix their missed execution issues.

If you like the phone, buy it and enjoy (and show off to your friends all the things you can do on it with ease)
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    What specific PIM features are you looking for?

For Calendar, I use Agenda and Quick Event with 5 different calendars on Google and it does what I need it to do. Now, I will admit I don't have any need for creating meetings and inviting people when on my phone, so if that's your need you might have a problem. However, I believe that you can do this by going to the Google Calendar website.

With regard to contacts, I love Synergy. I have most of my contacts on Google, but I also get all of my Facebook and Linkedin contacts. For people who have information on all three, they are all combined into one contact and changes are synced immediately.

I have email on both Gmail and AOL and they are both synced wonderfully on my phone. I can now search and sort email the way I want.

So, what else do you need?
    If you need arm twisting then Palm Pre is probably not for you. If a phone doesn't suite your needs move on. The Pre suites all of my needs.
    Like others have said.
    You can try the phone for 30 days and see if you like it.
    Also if you go with Sprint, you will be eligible for their Premier program so in year you will be able to get a new phone for free, weather that phone is the (hopefully) all new and kick a*** Palm, or the Andriod if you decide that the Palm just isn't working for you.
    Either way I'd say it's worth a shot, and I think you will like it.
    While there is much complaining to be seen on these ol' forums, I think there is a silent majority that is very happy with their Pre/Pixi's.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. I'll see what announcements are made next week and then try the palm for few weeks again before deciding
    Well it depends on what you need. I had issues with the abysmal battery life, worthless keyboard and no docs to go. The battery has improved with 1.4 which was certainly a deal breaker and the keyboard double spacing is a software issue with a patch soon to be released. If the phone doesn't work it doesn't work. Only palm can keep its customers by making a product that performs, any amount of "arm twisting" doesn't change the facts.
    No one cares if the OS is sweet when the battery is dead before lunch and the keyboard is unusable.
    original poster. You say that droid is "getting it done". I believe the droid just recently delayed their 2.1 update. That's not getting it done

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/03/18...yed-again.html

I just did a little multitasking there, to find that link, this phone is awesome
    yea i still love my pre
    Usually, what people don't like about PIM on webOS can be more or less solved by changing some work habits. For example, many people used to complain about the contacts app, since there are no categories, and facebook and gmail contacts can all be pulled in, giving you a huge list to scroll through when you want to find someone at the end. Painful, right? Yeah, if you don't use Universal search. But you can tap a few keys and almost immediately get to the contact you want without categories.

You can now do similar things with email--tap a few keys and quickly limit the list to just a few emails.

So I believe the PIM is better than most people think, but it's very different from old PalmOS workflows.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    original poster. You say that droid is "getting it done". I believe the droid just recently delayed their 2.1 update. That's not getting it done

Droid 2.1 update delayed again?

I just did a little multitasking there, to find that link, this phone is awesome
    Seriously? Your comparison between the android and the pre is a delayed update? So, how was the timing of that 1.4 update? No delays?
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Usually, what people don't like about PIM on webOS can be more or less solved by changing some work habits. For example, many people used to complain about the contacts app, since there are no categories, and facebook and gmail contacts can all be pulled in, giving you a huge list to scroll through when you want to find someone at the end. Painful, right? Yeah, if you don't use Universal search. But you can tap a few keys and almost immediately get to the contact you want without categories.

You can now do similar things with email--tap a few keys and quickly limit the list to just a few emails.

So I believe the PIM is better than most people think, but it's very different from old PalmOS workflows.
    Yes, I never scroll through contacts anymore. I can't remember the last time I opened the contacts app. Same for email. I never scroll anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Seriously? Your comparison between the android and the pre is a delayed update? So, how was the timing of that 1.4 update? No delays?
    palm said it was going to be released in february. it was released in february, no? how is that for timing.
    brand loyalty is simple minded and such an outdated concept.