Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Ok, so we have all seen the writing on the wall, and the most recent news around palm is grim to say the least. I have been a palm customer since 1999, owning palm products from the pilot, to the first palm phone (that was a beast) to the 600, 650, centro and now the most recent. I bought the most recent phone because I really believed in palm's future, like this would be the product to save palm ... my contract was up, but I stuck with my carrier solely because I was sticking with palm, I was a loyal customer. It is pretty sad because the pre is one of the best phones on the market, including the iphone, and if palm had planned their marketing in a better way ... well, quite frankly, if they had more money to devote to marketing, they would have infiltrated the market with this phone, by releasing it on many different carriers from the start, with marketing efforts that were fierce. But that didn't happen, and now palm is faced with a pummeled stock price and bleak future at best. I am a public accountant by trade, and I might give palm a going concern opinion if I was signing off on their financials. I would really like to know everyone's opinion, is this it for palm? How do you see this playing out? Will they license webos out? Get bought out by a giant? What does that mean for us?

Seriously palm, if I were you I would go down kicking and screaming. Find a venture capitalist to fund operations and do the following:

- announce a release of a new webos phone within the next month or 2. One that will trounce the iphone or any other on the market. Focus on the hardware this time, speed and customization.

- pump vast resources into webos updates. It needs significant speed enhancements. It is still painfully slow.

- Release a desktop software for managing music that competes with itunes ... since you lost that battle might as well make your own.

- Release a library to download rented and bought movies and books. C'mon, this is what people want, don't you see?

- Create an online site to remotely access data on your phone. This is the wave of the future - accessing files from any computer, anywhere! How great would it be to manage your phone's contents from a computer via the internet. Carbonite, files anywhere ... it is obvious! After all, isn't this what webos was made for?

- Create something that competes with the ipad, only grant it the ability to place calls via speaker or bluetooth - apple messed up here but they will supplement soon. Your not in the laptop business but I really think you can breach this market.

- Market smarter not harder - people want to see visually what webos can do - focus on what the palm does that other phones cannot ... the cards, swapping, switching, gestures, synergy, ease of use.

Those are just a few suggestions. I really do not want to see palm get bought out by a Microsoft, Dell or Samsung ... c'mon guys, get smart, this is your time of crisis, where the boys become men ... I stuck with you over the years, from your first try on a smart phone which fell apart in my hands, through the handspring debacle, palmone (whatever that was) through the genius of the centro and now the brilliance of the pre .. bring this home and make me proud.

-A loyal customer
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    +1 to that. If Palm cannot survive as a hardware company, please please please license webOS! Then your efforts can be focused solely on fleshing out the best OS there is. I would totally love a weOS laptop or tablet...even a touchscreen desktop. It's a fantastic UI...
    Some additional speculation and thoughts, on a quiet Friday night with the family at a friend's:

Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    Seriously palm, if I were you I would go down kicking and screaming. Find a venture capitalist to fund operations and do the following:
    Palm has a venture capitalist in Elevation Partners (who owns a 30% stake), and I don't see them putting any more money in Palm. And if they won't, I doubt it anyone else will.

- announce a release of a new webos phone within the next month or 2. One that will trounce the iphone or any other on the market. Focus on the hardware this time, speed and customization.
    I'm sure that Palm will announce their next device as soon as humanly possible. What it will look like, who knows. But, I'm sure that they understand the need for a new device, and a good one at that. Honestly, though, unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat at a surprise announcement next week at CTIA, I doubt that it'll happen before June when they'll at least have their first wave of Pre buyers ready for an upgrade.

- pump vast resources into webos updates. It needs significant speed enhancements. It is still painfully slow.
    Fortunately, Palm's already working on this, specifically to utilize things like hardware accelerated CSS transforms. This would make a tremendous difference, likely night and day, really. How soon they can implement it remains to be seen. In the meantime, it's probably not speed that they'll be fixing but rather memory management--for myself, the "Too Many Cards" issue is hands-down the most annoying webOS phenomenon.

- Release a desktop software for managing music that competes with itunes ... since you lost that battle might as well make your own.
    No need. Doubletwist already works perfectly fine. Some folks have suggested that Palm buy them, but I don't see any need for that. All they'd need to do is let folks know the software's out there, or maybe bundle it with webOS devices on the USB drive partition. They could also work a discount deal with Mark/Space on The Missing Sync.

- Release a library to download rented and bought movies and books. C'mon, this is what people want, don't you see?
    No way can palm create their own ecosystem, but it's bizarre that with Palm's deal with Amazon for music, there's no Kindle book reader. Perhaps Amazon could also work movie rentals/streaming into the mix. It would seem like the infrastructure is already there.

- Create an online site to remotely access data on your phone. This is the wave of the future - accessing files from any computer, anywhere! How great would it be to manage your phone's contents from a computer via the internet. Carbonite, files anywhere ... it is obvious! After all, isn't this what webos was made for?
    I'm not as concerned about managing files remotely from my Pre, but rather in using my Pre to manage files on my computer. We have ZumoDrive for remotely viewing files, it would certainly be nice to have a solution that allows editing. But, maybe people would get more use out of your suggestion; certainly couldn't hurt.

- Create something that competes with the ipad, only grant it the ability to place calls via speaker or bluetooth - apple messed up here but they will supplement soon. Your not in the laptop business but I really think you can breach this market.
    Palm would need lots and lots and lots more money to develop a tablet. However, they could license webOS for that purpose, while keeping webOS on smartphones for themselves. I'd be concerned about forking webOS that way, but frankly webOS is going to have to have some level of it once a new smartphone is released. I can't imagine that Palm will release their next device without, say, a compass, meaning that the next generation will be capable of doing things that this generation can't. So, why not a tablet?

- Market smarter not harder - people want to see visually what webos can do - focus on what the palm does that other phones cannot ... the cards, swapping, switching, gestures, synergy, ease of use.
    I'm going to give in on this one and say that simple, straightforward adds showing webOS functionality like Synergy, multitasking, notifications, etc. are probably the way to go now. Certainly, they could be cheaply developed, and could follow the ones they've already done. Here's an example on the Palm Youtube channel: YouTube - Palm's Channel.

Those are just a few suggestions. I really do not want to see palm get bought out by a Microsoft, Dell or Samsung ... c'mon guys, get smart, this is your time of crisis, where the boys become men ... I stuck with you over the years, from your first try on a smart phone which fell apart in my hands, through the handspring debacle, palmone (whatever that was) through the genius of the centro and now the brilliance of the pre .. bring this home and make me proud.
    First, thanks for a giving some thoughts to providing some positive suggestions. That's what we need if we're to do anything to help this platform survive--positive suggestions and constructive criticism. Anything else just creates a horrible impression that can't do anything but drive people away.

Second, although I want Palm to survive as an independent entity, there are worse things that could happen than their getting acquired. Certainly, that would be better than webOS simply fading away. The question is, acquired by whom?

My top candidates, in this order, would be: Sony, HP, and HTC. Sony and HP are making very good hardware (particularly Sony), and neither have made any real noise in the mobile space.

HTC might be the more realistic option, though. They'd benefit tremendously from Palm's patent portfolio, while gaining a great OS that they could very simply stick onto one of their current, modern designs. They are, after all, a hardware company, and I don't think they care much which OS their devices are running. And, they'd not have to worry about developing and supporting this Sense UI stuff--webOS absolutely does not need any sort of skin to make it functional.

Frankly, I'm not very positive right now about Palm's prospects. I think things have been even more bleak than we've been led to believe, and I really do wonder about certain decisions that Palm's made. Putting out 1.4 before it was ready was a mistake, I think--they should have announced that it's delayed but that they're going to wait until it's right before releasing it. And, there are odd holes in the SDK, like the lack of microphone support, that make me wonder what's going on with it.

But, overall, I think Palm's done a remarkable job in an incredibly difficult situation. I don't think they're getting enough credit for all of the things they've done right, such as the open developer program, the combination of a very simple SDK with Mojo/Ares and the PDK, and webOS in general. And ultimately, they've not been supported by their carrier partners, and if I had to point at one thing that's hurt them the most, this is what I'd choose.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    great story bro.
    These ideas would be great if palm was google. Or if google came up to palm and said heres our money, and employees, and have fun with them..

Palm can't make tablets now, they don't have the resources, and it would take away resources. they make exclusive deals with carriers, because they can't afford to spend money on marketing. So they go up to sprint and be like hey, spend x million advertising this, and we will give you the pre exclusively for 6 months. Then sprint goes like okay, and then they deside to make ads that market pre owners ashamed of their product.(i have absolutly no explanation for why a non mental person would think marketing the pre like that is an effective use of cash.. Like NO EXPLANATION! )

They have to make a couple choices when it comes to hte new product: spend money making software, or spend money on advertisment. Go exclusive and save on advertisment, or save money and go exclusive. Maybe they should only do a 3 month exclusive so their product doesn't get outdated. And release a "plus verions" 3 months after... Compromise...

I think palm should focus on Putting a bigger battery in the phone, better cpu, more ram, fixing the software errors like too many cards, a 5 megapixel camera, bigger screen, which i'll mean a bigger keyboard, and make api's for music players, and the mic. Lastly bring the freaking update so every dev can release their 3d games, while adding voice coomands, and a better spell check... Doing all this is extreamly hard, but will be better spend cash then any advertisment.

Currently, i love my pre, and wouldn't trade it, but i still don't recommend it because of some of the flaws above, along with some other minor ones. I think they should buy ( i know they don't have much cash), a vocie comman software for now, and get a hardware company like htc to help them with the hardware, While focusing on the software.

but hey, i thank palm for the support they have given devs. I think (besides the platform), it;s the smartest thing they have done. They don't currently have everything, but it's due to resources, and not dickiness. .. Things don't look bright for palm business wise, but if they release a phone with amazing hardware, and clean up some bugs, i'm sure it will sell well.. Hell i would upgrade day one if i could. (bell say i gotta wait 2 years and 4 months before i can get a 100 bucks the original price of hte phone. I'll prob have to buy a dev phone for 450, sell my phone for a 100, which would still cost 350 which is a bit much considering i spent 200 bucks on the pre. I'd prob do it anyways...

Good luck palm.. And at $4.00 a share, i think i'll pick some up...
    from the look of it, palm has no future
    Quote Originally Posted by precrack View Post
    from the look of it, palm has no future
    Here's hoping you're 100% wrong. There are a lot of things going on behind the curtain you don't see. I have confidence in the wizard.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    thanks everyone for the replies! Ironically, see the story posted on precentral today about Elevation Partners sticking by palm!
    Help a guy thats down and out on his luck..