1.    #1  
    Just curious and maybe this is commong knowledge or has been answered a thousand times but I didn't see it.

Could a company (Palm for instance) legally develop their webOS in a way that it could be flashed/installed onto existing phones with compatible specs. For instance is it possible first of all for Palm create a variant of WebOS that could be installed onto an iPhone, Droid, Nexus One Touch Pro 2, or similar device, and if so would it be legal for them to sell it to customers who already owned one of these devices so they could change their OS? Perhaps some buttons wouldn't work or even some funtionality like the camera or gps but is it feasable overall?

I'd love to put WebOS onto something with a bigger screen. I know this won't happen and I'm just dreaming but I could see people paying for WebOS just like they do for Windows on a PC.
    nope palm stated that they will be the sole manufacturer of webos and do not intend to lease it to other companies
  3.    #3  
    No, I don't mean lease it. I mean sell a version of the OS than can be installed onto hardware that customers already own.
    the program would have to be redone to use a different size screen, buttons and everything else on the inside, also Palm will take webos to the grave before they opensource it to other companies i hope.
    Theoretically they could, but they wouldn't. They like selling there phones. If the software gets sold, it gets pirated, and then palm gets no cash. Also there would be problems with all the phones listed above.

iPhone: no keyboard, no gesture area, Droid: no gesture area, Nexus One: like iphone, Touch Pro 2: all of the above, plus no multitouch screen which is needed on the pre.
    Theoretically? Sure, it's possible. Legally? Probably not. Phone manufacturers have a contract with the OS maker to use their software on the hardware maker's product, even if its capable of other software.
    Theoretically? Sure, it's possible. Legally? Probably not. Phone manufacturers have a contract with the OS maker to use their software on the hardware maker's product, even if its capable of other software.